Onkyo TX-NR929 or Denon AVR-X4000? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-15-2013, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, I have been in audio for years but am needing help deciding on a new receiver for a dedicated theater room. I am new to this site, but reading many of the threads shows me that there are many knowledgeable audiophiles out there. I built a dedicated theater room about 14x14, I know a square room is not optimal but it is what I had to work with. I have taken steps to make it as sound neutral as possible with acoustic insulation and drywall isolation. The speakers I will be using are Paradigm Studio 100 mains, Studio CC center, Studio ADP rears and a Servo 15 sub. My audio rack is fan cooled as well so a amp that runs warm is not an issue. Ok, here is my quandary. I will only be running in 5.1, but I need to be able to power a set of speakers in an adjoining room as well. Both the Denon and the Onkyo will allow this. I like the Onkyo 929 because I can also bi-amp the Studio 100 mains while running in 5.1 as well as still power the aux speakers. The Denon will not allow this. Spec wise I think the Denon 4000 and Onkyo 929 are real close. Denon has a year more on the warranty. I am leaning towards the Onkyo, but have owned 2 Denons and had no quality issues. I have never owned an Onkyo so I am uncertain of their quality. I want great movie audio, great HD picture and great quality. I am open to all thoughts and appreciate the insight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2013, 02:55 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1962 Post(s)
Liked: 1745
Onkyo has had HDMI board issues the past few years which is supposed to have been resolved with the release of the 2013 models (eg. 929). Otherwise, their specs are similar with the 929 being a 9CH model vs. the X4000 being 9CH capable with the addition of a 2CH amp as well has having a few different features. Both models feature the same Audyssey MultEQ XT32 and although the X4000 also features Audyssey Sub EQ HT (dual subs), with you only using one sub, not a feature you would need at present. Both models are similarly priced as well so review the features for both and determine which model best meets your needs.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 09-16-2013, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Onkyo has had HDMI board issues the past few years which is supposed to have been resolved with the release of the 2013 models (eg. 929).

I read the same thing with last years models and the models from the year before, etc... . Only time will tell if Onkyo has solved their reliability issues.

The 929 is capable of playing 11.x while the 4000 can only do 9.x. The 4000 is better for dual subs. Other than that, you probably won't notice any difference. At least you won't notice a difference until the HDMI ports go out on the Onkyo wink.gif
Old 09-16-2013, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Those are two good choices. I partly went with the 929 because of my excellent experience with an Integra DTC 9.8. Also I hammered Onkyo until I was satisfied they've rectified the HDMI board problem. If you're going to bi-amp those Studio 100s and do multiple rooms the 929 has some nice options. Although the 929 has 9 powered channels and 11 pre-outs it has connections for 11 speakers. You'll have to read the manual to take advantage of that.

If you'll ever try to solve low frequency problems in that square room with dissimilar subs at different distances from the corners then the advantage might swing to the Denon with Audyssey Sub EQ HD. The Onkyo's two sub outs will be treated indentically by Audyssey XT32.

Also consider if built in WiFi and Bluetooth are important to you along with their remote apps in other rooms.

Patrick

Tags
Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr929 9 2 Channel Network A V Receiver