Onkyo TX-SR805 Chirp? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 09-16-2013, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've done lots of searching and I see that others with the SR805 and 875 are experiencing the electronic chirp that bounces from speaker to speaker. But none of the threads I've seen point out the problem. Is this noise indicative of an HDMI board problem? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 09-20-2013, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Bump? I've now started looking for other receivers, but I don't want to give up on old faithful yet. Any ideas are welcomed. Thanks.
post #3 of 25 Old 09-20-2013, 12:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndon_h View Post

I've done lots of searching and I see that others with the SR805 and 875 are experiencing the electronic chirp that bounces from speaker to speaker. But none of the threads I've seen point out the problem. Is this noise indicative of an HDMI board problem? Thanks!

By electronic chirp do you mean the test signal that Audyssey uses?

Usual question - is there some way you can initialize the firmware or update it?
post #4 of 25 Old 09-20-2013, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:

Bump? I've now started looking for other receivers, but I don't want to give up on old faithful yet. Any ideas are welcomed. Thanks.

What exactly do you mean by "electronic chirp", please?
post #5 of 25 Old 09-20-2013, 12:37 PM

I have the issue with my 705. For me it is caused by the receiver's decoding. If I have the source do the decoding (eg bluray) then it stops.
post #6 of 25 Old 09-20-2013, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeones View Post

I have the issue with my 705. For me it is caused by the receiver's decoding. If I have the source do the decoding (eg bluray) then it stops.

What exactly is your issue, please? Can you describe it on more details?
post #7 of 25 Old 09-20-2013, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

By electronic chirp do you mean the test signal that Audyssey uses?

Usual question - is there some way you can initialize the firmware or update it?

Thanks for the reply. Its not the Audyssey uses. Audyssey sounds like a laser gun shooting multiple shots. This is like an electronic ping. Its clearly something going wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post

What exactly do you mean by "electronic chirp", please?

I'll try to take a video of it tonight.
Its really odd and intermittent. I can sometimes power cycle the unit, and the noise will not return until the next time I turn it on.

I probably should update the firmware. However, I've had the receiver since '07 and its just now exhibiting this issue, so I'm not sure if an update will fix it. To make matters worse, I have loader 1.0, so I'll need a dongle to update it. I don't mind doing the leg work, but I don't want to put a lot of money into it if is truly a hardware problem that will be expensive to fix.
post #8 of 25 Old 09-20-2013, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the reply. Its not the Audyssey uses. Audyssey sounds like a laser gun shooting multiple shots. This is like an electronic ping. Its clearly something going wrong.
I'll try to take a video of it tonight.
Its really odd and intermittent. I can sometimes power cycle the unit, and the noise will not return until the next time I turn it on.

I probably should update the firmware. However, I've had the receiver since '07 and its just now exhibiting this issue, so I'm not sure if an update will fix it. To make matters worse, I have loader 1.0, so I'll need a dongle to update it. I don't mind doing the leg work, but I don't want to put a lot of money into it if is truly a hardware problem that will be expensive to fix.

Lookin' forward to the video. Have you tried to do a microprocessor reset, yet?
post #9 of 25 Old 09-20-2013, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Lookin' forward to the video. Have you tried to do a microprocessor reset, yet?

I'm looking forward to making the video. Its driving my dog, and children crazy. And it pretty scary to my wallet also.

No! I haven't. I'll give that a try before making the video. Thanks.
post #10 of 25 Old 09-20-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No! I haven't. I'll give that a try before making the video. Thanks.

Can you make the reset after the video? I'd like to hear those "chirps", something new for me. But if reset solves it, no way out to learn something. smile.gif
post #11 of 25 Old 09-20-2013, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Can you make the reset after the video? I'd like to hear those "chirps", something new for me. But if reset solves it, no way out to learn something. smile.gif

Absolutely. I meant to say that I'll make the video before attempting to resolve the issue. I'm at work and my multi tasking skills are failing me. smile.gif
post #12 of 25 Old 09-20-2013, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

As luck would have it, today was about 20 degrees cooler than average because of rain. The receiver has not exhibited any of the odd pinging, which has got me thinking it may be heat related. I'm sure the sound will reappear soon. I'll catch a video of it when it does.
post #13 of 25 Old 09-20-2013, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 41
It might not be heat related... What you are experiencing could be the old DTS HD-Master bomb issue. The DTS DSP decoder has some bugs in its programming. When playing back some movies you can get a "chirp" or more catastrophic, a loud "pop", depending on what is sent to the decoder. If you have the source Blu-Ray player do the decoding, the problem goes away.

To confirm it, playback Star Wars IV: A New Hope and skip some chapters (IIRC, it was chapter 7 or 14). You should hear a loud pop. MAKE SURE YOU REDUCE THE VOLUME OF THE AMP, AS THE POP WILL BE AS LOUD AS A GUNSHOT. You don't want to blow your speakers, set the volume so you can barely hear the audio.

The fix would be to call Onkyo and get the latest firmware for the DSP. They have one for the 705/805/875 and 905. They had two updates for the DSP decoder. Make sure you get the latest one.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #14 of 25 Old 09-20-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:

What exactly is your issue, please? Can you describe it on more details?

For me it started with my sony bluray player. I had it setup so the Receiver would decode the audio. This was fine for years. While watching movies it would start to do loud chirping noises which scared the crap out of one of my dogs. I soon discovered that if I changed the sony player so it would decode instead of the receiver the issue went away. I recently go a new DirecTV DVR and it was doing the same and had to change the audio options there as well.

I just got my replacement for the Onkyo 705 as I got sick of all of this and jumped ship to Denon. I bought a Denon X2000 but it is still sitting in the box for now. I need a few things from Monoprice yet.
post #15 of 25 Old 09-20-2013, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

The odd thing is that i'm seeing this issue when playing Xbox 360, PS3 or Verizon Fios. All of these devices have been hooked up to the receiver for the last 5-6 years, but I'm just now hearing the problem. It doesn't seem to be content specific. I can play an Xbox 360 game and get the chirping, power cycle it, and the chirping will be gone for a while. The only common thing about all of the devices is that they are all passing the data via HDMI.

I will call Onkyo and inquire about the firmware. It can't hurt. The bad thing is that I'm going to the need a dongle because a have the 1.0 version loader.
post #16 of 25 Old 09-21-2013, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

The noise started up this morning. It usually starts slow then builds. I was able to film it about 15 seconds in. The video link is below.

http://youtu.be/NoJeE63c_UA

I'm interested in knowing if it sounds familiar to those who have experienced DSP issues. The movie playing was a netflix movie played through the x360.
post #17 of 25 Old 10-10-2013, 05:52 AM

My TX-SR805 has the chirp/ping. It starts randomly after receiver has had a chance to warm up and randomly moves around from speaker channel to channel (have not noticed it on the subwoofer) on the fios cable box, xbox, and blu-ray hdmi inputs. It is loud enough at moderate listening levels that I fear it will fry the tweeters in the speakers. I do not get the chirp/ping if I use the phono input, so I suspect the issue lies in either the sound processing or HDMI processing section of the receiver.
post #18 of 25 Old 10-10-2013, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I had this on my TX-SR705. After putting up with it for almost a year, the chirping became just too frequent and annoying. I just replaced it last month with a Denon X2000.
post #19 of 25 Old 10-10-2013, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post

I had this on my TX-SR705. After putting up with it for almost a year, the chirping became just too frequent and annoying. I just replaced it last month with a Denon X2000.

Yeah, I think its the beginning of the end. I can put the receiver on mute for about 30 seconds to let the receiver go through the pinging noises (without any possible adverse affect my speakers) then it will function correctly for the rest of the night. If it gets worse, I'm going to take the cover off and examine the HDMI board for any loose connections to the board. The fact that it only has issues until it warms up leads me to believe that it may be a connection that it getting loose and the heat of the receiver is causing the soldering to expand and properly complete the connection. I'll test my theory if the problem gets worse.
post #20 of 25 Old 12-14-2013, 12:43 PM

Lyndon,

I have the exact same problem as you and I am affraid that it indeed is the beginning of the end.

In my case it started a few months ago with an occasional 'chirp'. At first I thought it was caused by a streaming underrun of some sort, or a buffering issue. I could solve it by pausing the playback a few seconds, after which sound restored to normal. However, the problem got worse and worse.

Now I have gotten to the point that I can hardly ever play something decent and the noises also have gotten worse. No idea what causes it, but I also tried playing from another source and the same thing happens...so no issue with my player.

I'm thinking of sending the 805 in for repairs, but I'm affraid that it will be something costly.

On the other hand, buying a new receiver wouldnt be cheap either...and replace it with what??

If you find a solution, please let me know.

Cheers

Patrick

post #21 of 25 Old 12-31-2013, 07:11 AM

My 705 has the same issue.  I found a work around by buying a 3" muffin fan from Amazon that is usb powered and then placing it on the right rear corner of the unit as you look at the front.  The fan is plugged into a USB power adapter plugged into the 705 so when the 705 is on , the fan is on.  NO CHIRPS!

The fan I got was the ThermalTake : Link: http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Mobile-Fan-External-Cooling/dp/B00080G0BK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1388502582&sr=8-2&keywords=thermaltake+fan

I took the stand legs off and it just sits on top of the 705's case.

Yesterday my wife told me the fan wasn't working and the 705 was chirping all over even though the house is cold this time of year.  Put another fan that I had over the corner.. NO CHIRPS!

How do I get the updates for the 705 and how is the unit actually updated?

NOTE: The fan didn't die.. the USB power adapter did. New adapter and the quiet Thermaltake fan is back in business! NO CHIRPS!

Thanks,

Matt Caswell

Mesa, AZ

post #22 of 25 Old 12-31-2013, 09:38 AM

I have a 905 and it has gone from chirping to a sound like Glass Breaking revolving from Channel to Channel. Usually if I toggle between listening modes or input it goes away. It happens more offten in the Summer time than winter........ its been doing this for over a year. I just keep dealing with it waiting for the next " i gotta have that Reciever" model......
post #23 of 25 Old 02-15-2014, 02:27 PM

Got mine fixed. The problem was the DSP board. Repairs costed a little over 100 euros, so well worth the money!

post #24 of 25 Old 02-15-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickDonker View Post

Got mine fixed. The problem was the DSP board. Repairs costed a little over 100 euros, so well worth the money!

Glad you got it fixed.  I can buy a lot of muffin fans for 100 Euros.  I guess that makes me cheap.

matt

post #25 of 25 Old 02-15-2014, 03:34 PM

Well Matt, glad it only set me back e100 because at first I was told that 300-400 was to be expected!

I am thinking about adding a fan as well to handle with excessive heat.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr805 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver Silver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page