Raspberry Pi or iPod input into amp - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 09-17-2013, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

I've got an ageing Sony DA3300ES amp that I'd like to use for some music. I've got it connected to a pair of bookshelf speakers and a centre speaker.

I'd like to plug-in my iPod and use its internal DAC.

If I plug my iPod into the PHONO input, will that use the internal DAC? I may also plugin a Raspberry Pi later to stream FLAC to it from my NAS as well.

Thanks
Srini
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-18-2013, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Oh god no do not plug either of those devices into the phono jack.

If anything, you can plug them into any other stereo input (CD, TV, MD). However, you'll be using the iPod's internal DAC, not the receiver's. If you want to use the receiver's DAC for the iPod, you need one of these:

http://store.sony.com/p/TDM-IP10/en/p/TDMIP10

If you want to use the receiver's DAC for the RP, you might have to figure out how to output audio over its HDMI out.

post #3 of 13 Old 09-18-2013, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Do not plug anything other than a gramophone record player into the Phono input of any receiver. This input has additional amplication along with RIAA equalization applied to it which makes it unsuitable and dangerous to use with any other kind of device.

You can hook up your iPod headphone or Raspberry Pi's headphone outputs to one of the other analogue stereo inputs, though you should be careful not to have to volume too high. Better yet would be to use the line level output from your iPod's dock connector.

For your Raspberry PI you can instead of using it's 3.5 mm analogue output jack, you might want to connect it to your receiver using HDMI and use that for audio. The quality of the Raspberry Pi's 3.5 mm jack is supposed to be particularily bad.
post #4 of 13 Old 09-19-2013, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for setting me straight.

I've got a pair of Wharfede Diamond 9.1 bookshelves and a Diamond 8 centre for my 2.1 setup. This setup is a secondary one for the family room.

Should I bi amp or bi wire? I connected my Sony receiver's A inputs to the left and right speakers with the metal plate left in place at the back if the speaker.

What is the best way to set this up? This will be my second setup the main one is in my theatre room so this is not as important for me.

Main use will be HD movies and music.

Thanks
Srini
post #5 of 13 Old 09-20-2013, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
A "2.1 setup" implies left and right speakers and a subwoofer. You have a 3.0 setup (which is fine--that's what I use as well). Anyway, no, don't bother bi-wiring. You won't hear a difference.

post #6 of 13 Old 09-20-2013, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWIII 
A "2.1 setup" implies left and right speakers and a subwoofer. You have a 3.0 setup ...
+1. (Nice, clean set-up, BTW.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by srinirvasan 
Should I bi amp or bi wire?
Neither, since there is negligible to no benefit. But there's no reason not to try out those options and, if you like one of them, to use it.
post #7 of 13 Old 09-20-2013, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Great. Thanks guys.

I tried that and I heard a pop and the smell of burning components frown.gif

I think I've stuffed something up. Now, I don't get any sound, but the video works.

I've checked the speaker cones etc. and they all look fine. I'm hoping its just the amp that I've damaged rather than the speakers.

Amps are cheaper - so fingers crossed the speakers are fine.

Is there a way to test the speakers?

Unfortunately, I don't have the remote or the mic for the amp, so I can't run the calibration.
post #8 of 13 Old 09-20-2013, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

When you bi-wire or bi-amp, you have to remove the jumpers from the speaker terminals. (This should be stated in the owner's manuals for the speakers.) Bummer about the pop and burn. frown.gif

Using a single speaker cable:
- connect only your receiver's left channel to your center speaker; then,
- disconnect it and connect only the right channel to the center speaker.
If you get sound, your receiver's OK.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-20-2013, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Do you mean connect the left channel to the centre speaker and try to play a movie and then do the same with the rot channel? I just want to clarify before I try any more things after my prior experience.
post #10 of 13 Old 09-21-2013, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes. You're trying to determine whether it's your L and R main speakers or your L and R main channels that have blown. If your CC speaker and channel are still working, you can use them to determine what's working and what's not.

You can connect:
- your CC channel to your L, and then to your R, main speakers to see if they're blown (if you hear sound, your speakers are good; else, they're not); and/or
- your CC speaker to your L, and then to your R, main channels to tell if they're blown (if you hear sound, you channels are good; else, they're not).

It's a quick and easy check.
post #11 of 13 Old 09-21-2013, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

That makes sense. I'll try that. Thanks a lot.
post #12 of 13 Old 09-22-2013, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

I've tried connecting a speaker from my 5.1 setup that I know works to the various channels on this amp and get no sound.

So, looks like its the amp that's blown up. I'm getting an Onkyo SR705 amp off e-bay tomorrow. So, will try that.

One question, the amp puts out 100 W / channel but the speakers are rated for 75W. Would that be okay? They will be my secondary setup that I use daily in the family room.

So, I'll probably have it upto maybe -20 or -10 dB. Would that hurt the 75W rated speaker?

Thanks again for your help.
post #13 of 13 Old 09-24-2013, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinirvasan View Post

I've tried connecting a speaker from my 5.1 setup that I know works to the various channels on this amp and get no sound.

So, looks like its the amp that's blown up. I'm getting an Onkyo SR705 amp off e-bay tomorrow. So, will try that.

One question, the amp puts out 100 W / channel but the speakers are rated for 75W. Would that be okay? They will be my secondary setup that I use daily in the family room.

So, I'll probably have it upto maybe -20 or -10 dB. Would that hurt the 75W rated speaker?

Thanks again for your help.

Okay. I've got the Onkyo setup with my bookshelves now.

The Sony amp is most likely toast. I get video but no audio. Also, the centre speaker seems to be toast as well. I'll replace this with a second hand Wharfedale WH-1.1 tonight.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sony Str Da3300es Es 7 1 Channel Surround Sound Audio Video Receiver , Raspberry Pi
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page