Can a receiver power on a TV with an HDMI signal? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 09-18-2013, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I have an Onkyo TX-NR818 and a VIZIO M601d-A3R that is connected to the HDMI out from the receiver. I just got a Harmony Smart Control RF remote. Problem is the TV is not in line of sight w/ the cabinet.

Wondering if it's somehow possible to make the TV turn ON when the receiver is turned on and starts sending it data through HDMI?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-18-2013, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaiser View Post

Hello, I have an Onkyo TX-NR818 and a VIZIO M601d-A3R that is connected to the HDMI out from the receiver. I just got a Harmony Smart Control RF remote. Problem is the TV is not in line of sight w/ the cabinet.

Wondering if it's somehow possible to make the TV turn ON when the receiver is turned on and starts sending it data through HDMI?

Thanks!

Yes.
You have to enable HDMI CEC on both the receiver and the TV and enable power control on both.
The Onkyo will refer to HDMI CEC as RIHD (Remote Interactive over HDMI)
I do not know what Vizio calls CEC, but I will tell you that the implementation of CEC is optional, even though the wiring is required.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-18-2013, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Awesome, thanks!
post #4 of 12 Old 09-18-2013, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe I did something wrong here, but I can only seem to get the TV to turn on the receiver, but am looking for the opposite. Is it possible ?
post #5 of 12 Old 09-19-2013, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
It's potentially possible for a AV receiver a to on your TV automatically using HDMI CEC a couple of different ways, but I don't know if any actually does this. The intended way this is supposed to work is that your source device (Blu-Ray player, PlayStation 3, cable box, etc...) is supposed to use HDMI CEC to automatically turn on (and change inputs) on your receiver and TV. The receiver isn't supposed to be turning on other devices.

The simple solution is either to move your Logitech Smart Control hub to a place where its in line of sight of all your device, or connect an IR mini blaster to your hub and put that in front of your TV. Your remote should have come bundled with one IR mini blaster and you should be able to buy a second and connect it to your hub if necessary.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-20-2013, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaiser View Post

Maybe I did something wrong here, but I can only seem to get the TV to turn on the receiver, but am looking for the opposite. Is it possible ?

I'm intrigued as to why you want the receiver to turn on the TV instead of the other way around. Seems to me that you'd more often use the receiver without the TV than using the TV without the receiver, even though you'd probably want that as well.

What I do is connect the cable box directly to the TV. The TV passes the sound (and the control) to the receiver via the Audio Return Channel of the HDMI cable that connects the receiver to the TV. The TV turns on the receiver. If I shut off the TV, it shuts off the receiver. If I don't want to listen to TV audio via the receiver (because it's late at night), I simply turn the receiver off. I prefer this method so that there's less processing of the video signal and so it's easy to watch TV without the receiver sound.

Also, by your method, if you listen to music on the receiver, it's going to turn the TV on. By my method, it won't.

But for what you want, try turning HDMI control off on the TV, but keep it switched to active on the receiver. I don't remember the exact use case, but I once got caught in some kind of illogical loop where I'd shut the TV off but the receiver would keep turning it back on or something like that (maybe it was when I shut down the Blu-ray player, it would shut off the receiver and I didn't want it to). In any case, by shutting off control on one side, it solved the problem.
post #7 of 12 Old 12-22-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Ridge View Post

It's potentially possible for a AV receiver a to on your TV automatically using HDMI CEC a couple of different ways, but I don't know if any actually does this. The intended way this is supposed to work is that your source device (Blu-Ray player, PlayStation 3, cable box, etc...) is supposed to use HDMI CEC to automatically turn on (and change inputs) on your receiver and TV. The receiver isn't supposed to be turning on other devices.

The simple solution is either to move your Logitech Smart Control hub to a place where its in line of sight of all your device, or connect an IR mini blaster to your hub and put that in front of your TV. Your remote should have come bundled with one IR mini blaster and you should be able to buy a second and connect it to your hub if necessary.

So you are saying the DEVICE (DVD, etc.) will turn on the TV automatically in a CEC/RIHD, etc. situation? Unless I am using older components which aren't able to do this, I am not seeing this. I think I am in the same boat as the OP since I don't use my receiver to listen music outside of using a visual application (Xbox, Roku, Apple TV, etc.) and it would be nice if the receiver was able to instruct the TV On. I want this because I have Harmony Ultimate that is basically controlling everything in a cabinet that is 30 ft away. If the TV was able to be controlled (on/off) wise via the receiver than it would remove the need for direct line of sight to the TV in order to ensure it goes on/off with every activity.

Thoughts?
post #8 of 12 Old 12-22-2013, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I'm saying it's far more likely a source device would be able to turn on a TV than an AV receiver. Either is possible, but it's depedent on the device in question actually supporting it. Many devices don't support HDMI CEC at all, and of those that do the specific HDMI CEC features they support will vary. Also many implmentations of HDMI are buggy and broken, so things may not work even when they're supposed to.

I think you'd be better off considering using a different technology, like IR receivers/blasters.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-22-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Ridge View Post

I'm saying it's far more likely a source device would be able to turn on a TV than an AV receiver. Either is possible, but it's depedent on the device in question actually supporting it. Many devices don't support HDMI CEC at all, and of those that do the specific HDMI CEC features they support will vary. Also many implmentations of HDMI are buggy and broken, so things may not work even when they're supposed to.

I think you'd be better off considering using a different technology, like IR receivers/blasters.

You aren't making any sense. IR receivers and blasters are already being used at the media cabinet where all of the components are. What devices have you seen or know about that actually instruct a TV to come on?
post #10 of 12 Old 01-01-2014, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebirth24 View Post

You aren't making any sense. IR receivers and blasters are already being used at the media cabinet where all of the components are. What devices have you seen or know about that actually instruct a TV to come on?

The Google chromecast is one device that turns on a tv. My chromecast is plugged into my receiver, and then to my tv. When my daughter is jumping on my bed at 5am, I use my phone to que a movie, send it to chromecast, which turns on the receiver and I hear the audio. I have yet to figure out how to get the receiver to also turn the tv on, I'll look again and let you know if I get it. For me, being able to turn on the tv and have it play a movie downstairs while in bed would be AMAZING. For $35, I may just buy another chromecast that plugs directly into the tv only for this early morning application, because I'm pretty sure that works if I bypass my onkyo receiver. I think the power on signal stops after one device.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-02-2014, 04:23 PM

Yup! I didn't have CEC power on enabled on my tv. Now my phone can tell my chromecast to play a movie which tells my onkyo receiver and Panasonic tv to both turn on.
post #12 of 12 Old 01-09-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have oppo 103 connected to NAD 787 connected to Sony 929 tv. If I turn the oppo on, the receiver and tv will both turn on. But doesn't seem like just turning on the Nad will trigger turning on the tv.

Is the oppo turning on the tv even though it's not directly connected to the tv?

If the receiver was able to turn on the tv would it depend in which input it was on? Say turn on the tv if the TiVo input was on vs not if tuner was on.

Phil Tomaskovic
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page