What would be the biggest difference between an Onkyo 929 and Marantz 7008? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-18-2013, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been looking at different options for a new receiver, and I'm closing in on one of these 2 units...

I have really set my eyes on receivers that have these capabilities:
-- 9 channels powered to support a 5.1+zone2+zone3 powered
--XT32 processing
--Great video upscaling
--Enough power in the amps to power my Aperion Verus Grand setup
--Zone2 HDMI to pass to a back patio TV (audio+video over HDMI)
--Support for IPControl for my Control4 automation system

The Marantz is a fair bit more expensive than the Onkyo. Both are readily available and appear to be a great long term solution.

The primary room is a 22 X 18 great room with 18' ceilings and is open on many sides. I have a 5.1 setup in there, but realize the acoustics are less than ideal to expect perfection. The other zones are 2 speakers in the kitchen which I just want a zone 3 with independent volume control for whatever is on the main zone. The dedicated zone2 will be an adjacent back patio with a tv and 2 ceiling speakers.

Thoughts? I have a Pioneer Elite that will go to another room, and I have experience with Yamaha and they aren't on my list for my own personal reasons. I'm excited about trying something new, and Onkyo and Marantz seem to be my best options.

I spend 80% on Comcast - but my wife loves their smooth jazz channel. 20% streaming Netflix. Video upscaling is a consideration, but I don't know how to evaluate either option for that. All of our 'sources' are HDMI based or built into the unit.

I would love some ideas on other considerations that would help me make the decision easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-24-2013, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I'm used to seeing the Onkyo TX-NR929 compared to the Denon X4000. But the 929 specs out more like the Marantz SR7008, although they're both priced about $600 less than the 7008.

In fact they are so close feature wise, I should have been considering the Marantz also. Despite being so similar, they do have some distinct differences that should sway you with your preferences.

Room volume wise your near the intended max of both of these units. The 7008 is rated at 10 watts per channel less than the 929. Actually Mark Fleischmann rated the 7008 at 2 or 3 watts less per channel than spec when he reviewed it in the new Home Theater/ Sound and Vision replacement mag. But overall he liked it.For you this is probably a must read. I haven't seen a similar review of the 929.

If phone control is important to you, with an iPhone, a point for Marantz, with Android and front MHL USB a point for Onkyo. The 929 also has wireless WiFi and Bluetooth built in.

While they both have Audyssey XT32 for the two sub outs, the 7008 has Audyssey Sub EQ HD. No advantage with a single sub but with multiple subs it treats the volume, timing and crossover separately. Probably less important with identical subs in similar locations.

They both have Zone 2 HDMI out but the 7008 has a second HDMI out intended for the main room. The 929 has an extra HDMI input.

The Onkyo has both 4K upscaling and passthrough.

If you could do a split screen of the features that would clarify a lot,or even a print out.

While Mark liked the 7008 I realized I made the right choice with the 929. The sound and features are a step up from my Integra DTC 9.8. Also I can't discount the $600 difference.

Patrick
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr7008
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page