Help with sound from tv and speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-18-2013, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I am trying to achieve something that is perplexing me. I would like the lady of the house to use only the cable remote to enjoy the tv. I do not want the receiver to be on when she uses the tv.

When I watch tv I don't mind steps to achieve sound out of my speakers (L/C/R). One solution suggested to me was:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=7974&seq=1&format=2

This would have me use the optical out to go into the receiver when I want my speakers playing sound. I think this would work for my purposes.

Then I found this guy which has 2 output. One output to the tv and the other to the receiver. This method would require the use of both tv inputs which isn't too big of a deal.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011310&p_id=8155&seq=1&format=2

What would you folks do? Also, is there a way to get Netflix sound from the tv to my receiver? My Yamaha V661 does not support ARC. Would the optical output from the tv work? Does this mean I should go with option 2 above to keep my optical input free? Does coax carry the same audio as optical and HDMI? My tv is a Panasonic 65PS64.

Thank you in advance for everyone's time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-18-2013, 10:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
I don't know why you need a switch box at all. sounds like your only source is the cable box. i'm gonna assume its a HD cable box?

Connect the cable box directly to the TV with HDMI. Then connect an optical cable from the cable box to the receiver for when you want to use your speakers.

If you have a Smart TV and want to watch Netflix with it, connect an optical cable from the TV to the receiver. Your RX-V661 has 3 optical inputs so its not like you don't have enough to use.

Afro GT
post #3 of 9 Old 09-18-2013, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks afrogt. I thought I only had one optical input but it appears I have many more. I will give the two methods a try.

post #4 of 9 Old 09-20-2013, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

I tried an optical cable out of the cable box and out of the tv (two different ones) I got no sound from either. I ensured that the receiver was set to the correct input and either Auto or optical was set for audio. Any advice on how to get sound using an optical cable?

post #5 of 9 Old 09-20-2013, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Hi tf1216, make sure the optical cables does not have any clear protective caps over the ends.

Check the cable box audio menu as some require you to select the audio output to optical.

On the Tv, press Viera Link to set internal speakers to off and/or set speakers to Home Theater.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-20-2013, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for helping JChin.

The optical cables did have the protective caps over the ends which I did remove.

The DirecTV box has one audio seeting and that is to turn Dolby Digital On or Off. I have it set to on.

The Panasonic remote has a Viera Tools button. Upon pushing the button options appear at the bottom of the screen. One option is Viera Link which I selected. What it says on the TV is "Viera Link lets you control HDMI connected compatible audio and video devices via single TV remote and simple on-screen menus. Please connect compatible products for easy and smart operation." I can not do anything other than exit from the screen.

post #7 of 9 Old 09-21-2013, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Still struggling. Has anyone encountered the same problems?

post #8 of 9 Old 09-21-2013, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by tf1216 View Post

The Panasonic remote has a Viera Tools button. Upon pushing the button options appear at the bottom of the screen. One option is Viera Link which I selected. What it says on the TV is "Viera Link lets you control HDMI connected compatible audio and video devices via single TV remote and simple on-screen menus. Please connect compatible products for easy and smart operation." I can not do anything other than exit from the screen.

If speaker output option is not available by pressing Viera button then go into menu to find it.

Unplug the optical cable at the receiver, is there a red glowing light? Also may sure the optical cable is push all the way as the plug will click to let you know it is fastened.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-23-2013, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

If speaker output option is not available by pressing Viera button then go into menu to find it.

Unplug the optical cable at the receiver, is there a red glowing light? Also may sure the optical cable is push all the way as the plug will click to let you know it is fastened.

I unplugged the optical cable from both the cable box and the receiver. I plugged it back into the cable box and saw that a red light was shining on the other end. I plugged it back into the receiver and nothing. I can't find where in the cable box settings I tell where to output the audio. The only option is for Dolby Digital. I am at a loss.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V661bl 7 1 Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver , Panasonic Tc 65ps64 65 Inch
Gear in this thread - V661bl by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page