Why would HDMI Output on Receiver Stop Working? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 09-19-2013, 03:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The HDMI Output on my Yamaha RX-V667 stopped working today. Yesterday everything was working. Today I plugged in some new speakers and went to turn on the receiver and nothing was being output via HDMI. I tested the cable going to the same tv but from another device and it worked fine. It's definitely the HDMI out that's not working. I can output via component or composite. And it seems like the HDMI inputs work because when I plug things into them and turn them on, the display shows the HDMI logo like it's getting signal.

I tried updating the firmware to the latest version (2.12), but that didn't help. Everything else seems to be fine except the HDMI out. I'm not really sure what could have caused the problem. My only guess was that 2 of the speaker wires I was installing may have touched while the receiver was on and they weren't in their speakers yet. Could that cause this problem?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-19-2013, 06:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwain View Post

The HDMI Output on my Yamaha RX-V667 stopped working today. Yesterday everything was working. Today I plugged in some new speakers and went to turn on the receiver and nothing was being output via HDMI. I tested the cable going to the same tv but from another device and it worked fine. It's definitely the HDMI out that's not working. I can output via component or composite. And it seems like the HDMI inputs work because when I plug things into them and turn them on, the display shows the HDMI logo like it's getting signal.

I tried updating the firmware to the latest version (2.12), but that didn't help. Everything else seems to be fine except the HDMI out. I'm not really sure what could have caused the problem. My only guess was that 2 of the speaker wires I was installing may have touched while the receiver was on and they weren't in their speakers yet. Could that cause this problem?

Stuff breaks. HDMI is kinda exposed to damage because it is a high bandwidth low voltage interconnection that is usually implemented without transformers, unlike say 100BTX.

Changing the speaker wiring is the opposite end of the AVR from the HDMI circuitry but static charges and the like can do odd things.
post #3 of 14 Old 09-19-2013, 06:47 AM

Quote:

Thanks.

I have a Yamaha RX-A1010 that I bought new in December 2011.

HDMI board died in August 2012.

HDMI board died in August 2013, just got it back from repair this past Monday. Have to take it in again today because the on-screen menu is not functioning.

Yamaha is not what it was in 2000 when I bought a RX-V800 that still works without fail.

Jerry

ÂExperience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. Thomas Jefferson
post #4 of 14 Old 09-19-2013, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Is it tough to open the receiver up and /replace the problematic port itself? Or would I be better off having a service center do it
post #5 of 14 Old 09-19-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Yamaha is not what it was in 2000 when I bought a RX-V800 that still works without fail.

Your 2000 RX-V800 didn't have HDMI cool.gif

Afro GT
post #6 of 14 Old 09-19-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Your 2000 RX-V800 didn't have HDMI cool.gif

True, but it's been subjected to many more harsh environments than the A1010. Construction dust, sheetrock dust, multiple moves, etc.

Are you saying that since the A1010 has HDMI it should be expected to fail?

It's not like the A1010 was the first ever AV receiver to have HDMI.

And to me, 3 repairs in less than 2 years is not acceptable for a $1,000 receiver. The RX-V800 only cost $300.

Jerry

ÂExperience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. Thomas Jefferson
post #7 of 14 Old 09-19-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Of course, it would be nice if the service centers (all manufacturers) would indicate to you what actually failed on the board so that just perhaps a user might learn something from the experience as opposed to just swapping out a board where basically no one learns anything from the failure. Having said that, as mentioned, hdmi implementations aren't as robust as perhaps they should be but also the environment that they may be set in may also not be as "friendly" as one thinks. Things like cable lengths, switchers, and multitudes of "nodes" (ie. equipment implementations) probably "helps" the failures along... :-(
post #8 of 14 Old 09-19-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
While it is true that HDMI issues should not occur, it does seem to be the most common failure across all makes and models of equipment that have HDMI connectivity.
post #9 of 14 Old 09-19-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 391
^^^^^
Exactly. It seems the most complaints are about receivers nowadays is about HDMI failures of some type. Receivers are much more complex now with HDMI, DLNA, Internet streaming and all the integration with smartphones etc.

The older receivers used analog video and maybe digital coax or toslink for digital audio. Less things to break on the older units.

Afro GT
post #10 of 14 Old 09-19-2013, 12:08 PM

Both HDMI port failures (Aug 2012 & Aug 2013) have been on ports 1 & 2. Apparently, from what the tech told me, these two ports are serviced by one board and is a known point of failure on the A1010.

As to what this latest failure of the "ON SCREEN" menu failing to appear either on screen or on unit, we shall see.

This A1010 is in a cabinet, top shelf with Coolerguys dual 120mm fans w/thermal control set to come on at 78°F, positioned directly above the A1010 top grill.

Jerry

post #11 of 14 Old 09-19-2013, 12:46 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:

Thanks.

You can try resetting the Yamaha RX- V667 back to its factory defaults using the Advanced Setup. Consult pages 99 → 101 of your manual. Odds are it won't change anything but worth a try.

The HDMI indicator on the front panel of the AVR lights up when you have valid HDMI handshake with a source device. On my Yamaha AVR the light only comes on when the BD player (HDMI connected) is powered up, and goes off if the BD player is powered off. Since you get that I'd suspect that your HDMI board is still functional, or partly function.

If it is a handshake issue, power everything off, unhook the HDMI cables, and wait for half an hour. Reconnect the cables and then try powering up the HDTV first, wait a moment, then the AVR, wait a moment, and then the source device.

Take a close look at your HDMI connector on the AVR and the television for bent pins or other damage. Always possible that it is mechanical damage and not a HDMI board problem.

Otherwise it may be just as Arny said, “Stuff breaks”.

Theatre: Sony 46" LCD panel, Sony DBP-S550 Blu-ray, Yamaha RX-V2065 receiver,

Polk Audio Monitor 70 (L&R), CS10 (centre), M10 (surrounds), dual Velodyne VDR-12 subs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 14 Old 09-25-2013, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

I was able to output sound via the speakers with an HDMI input, but still wasn't able to output anything via the HDMI out. Does this indicate anything new? Would something like this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/YC536-2-Small-HDMI-Board-from-a-Yamaha-RX-V667-OEM-Replacement-Parts-/360721762563?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53fcb14903) fix my problem? If so, is it hard to install by myself?
post #13 of 14 Old 09-25-2013, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:

I was able to output sound via the speakers with an HDMI input, but still wasn't able to output anything via the HDMI out. Does this indicate anything new? Would something like this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/YC536-2-Small-HDMI-Board-from-a-Yamaha-RX-V667-OEM-Replacement-Parts-/360721762563?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53fcb14903) fix my problem? If so, is it hard to install by myself?

It probably means the hdmi output is broken.

I can't comment on the part, but open up your receiver and see what's behind the hdmi output. If the part looks like the one in the picture and it's easy to replace, I would go for the part. it's worth a $30 risk IMO.
post #14 of 14 Old 09-25-2013, 06:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:

I can't tell from the picture whether it is an input board or an output board.

Ideally, you might be able to search the web and find a service manual.for your AVR or a close relative.

If you take your AVR apart, what do you see around the HDMI connector that is failing to produce an output?

Here is allegedly a picture of the inside your AVR, showing the back of the HDMI jacks across the back of your AVR.

I could be wrong but the eBay part looks nothing like the HDMI board in your AVR.

BTW the picture is from this article:

http://hometheater.about.com/od/avreceiversreviews/ig/Yamaha-RX-V667-HT-Receiver/Yamaha-RX-V667---Front-Inside.htm
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V667 Receiver , Yamaha Rx A1010bl Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page