Possible fix for "BCO Update please wait" problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-19-2013, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I hit the problem where my AVR-1700 would consistently display 'BCO Update" about 15 seconds after it was turned on and then not respond until it was power cycled.

It appears that the box some how got stuck in the process of a firmware update. I tried a lot of things with no success, powering off, waiting for hours, resetting the processor (restores all settings to factory) with no luck. As a last ditch effort I tried to connect to the receiver via a web browser and was able to clear the problem.

Here is the process:

1) Connect the receiver to your network with an Ethernet cable, if not already connected.

2) Determine what IP address has been assigned to the receiver. The best way to do this is to log into your DSL/Cable router and look for a device list, or DHCP list. This is a list of devices and the addresses that the router has assigned. The IP address will usually be 192.168.0.? or 192.168.1.?. You can also find the address via trial and error. The last part of the address (replacing the ?) will be a number between 2 and 254. Since the numbers are generally assigned starting at 2 and ascending it normally will only take a small number of attempts to find it.

3) Using a web browser type the IP address (192.168...) as the URL. When you get the correct address your an HK page will come up.

4) There are two buttons on the page, click the Browse button and select a random file on your computer.

5) Click the Upload button. This will report an error since the file you selected will not be a valid firmware file.

Going through this process appears to have gotten the update process unstuck and now my receiver works. Hopefully this will work for others.
rriquelme likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-20-2013, 08:43 AM

Liked: 11

I can confirm this solution. My AVR 1700 went into the BCO Update routine after a power outage yesterday.

I was a little stumped when it came time to determine the IP address of the receiver. It's been so long since I accessed the web interface for my wireless router that I couldn't remember the darn user/password to log in. Luckily, I was able to find this small utility to look at all the devices on my network:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_network_watcher.html

Hope this helps others!

rriquelme likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-15-2013, 05:11 AM

Liked: 10

good work!!! It´s work!!!

post #4 of 8 Old 12-15-2013, 05:16 AM

great!!!! It´s working!!!! In Harman Kardom doesn´t know to fix this problem, you did it!!! Congrats and thanks for your support!!! Great post!!! You save me $500, because I live outside US.

post #5 of 8 Old 02-17-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbrady View Post

I hit the problem where my AVR-1700 would consistently display 'BCO Update" about 15 seconds after it was turned on and then not respond until it was power cycled.

It appears that the box some how got stuck in the process of a firmware update. I tried a lot of things with no success, powering off, waiting for hours, resetting the processor (restores all settings to factory) with no luck. As a last ditch effort I tried to connect to the receiver via a web browser and was able to clear the problem.

Here is the process:

1) Connect the receiver to your network with an Ethernet cable, if not already connected.

2) Determine what IP address has been assigned to the receiver. The best way to do this is to log into your DSL/Cable router and look for a device list, or DHCP list. This is a list of devices and the addresses that the router has assigned. The IP address will usually be 192.168.0.? or 192.168.1.?. You can also find the address via trial and error. The last part of the address (replacing the ?) will be a number between 2 and 254. Since the numbers are generally assigned starting at 2 and ascending it normally will only take a small number of attempts to find it.

3) Using a web browser type the IP address (192.168...) as the URL. When you get the correct address your an HK page will come up.

4) There are two buttons on the page, click the Browse button and select a random file on your computer.

5) Click the Upload button. This will report an error since the file you selected will not be a valid firmware file.

Going through this process appears to have gotten the update process unstuck and now my receiver works. Hopefully this will work for others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rriquelme View Post

great!!!! It´s working!!!! In Harman Kardom doesn´t know to fix this problem, you did it!!! Congrats and thanks for your support!!! Great post!!! You save me $500, because I live outside US.
Awesome, this actually fixed the problem.. Just attempt an upgrade and that jars it loose. ')
Many thanks
X/BillyD..
post #6 of 8 Old 04-06-2014, 02:32 PM

Thank you very much for this information. Followed along, and it worked perfect.!!!
post #7 of 8 Old 04-23-2014, 05:22 AM

After this unlocking i  have another problems: USB port and network port not working. I did upgrade to version 3.05  and still does not work .Thanks

post #8 of 8 Old 05-27-2014, 06:20 PM

Same here finally got the firmware update to take then it started the bco update again. Also this "fix" mentioned before might get the avr responding again but it doesn't fix anything in fact it breaks airplay, usb, and network streaming.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Harman Kardon Avr 1700 5 1 Av Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page