Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderduck View Post
Thrillcat,

Thank you very much for your input.

Only reason for 7 at this time would be future speaker addition but that might be some time. After consideration, believe it might be better for now to connect only the ones I am using.

Your setup is what I was seriously considering, but the really vocal negative views about the UMC-200 was making me have second thoughts. It seems to do everything I would want it to.

If I may, one question about the headphone audio quality. I sometime watch movies late at night. Would I miss out on much with the output setup the way it is?

Thanks again for help.
For that you would need to ask someone who uses headphones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 570 Old 06-18-2014, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
For that you would need to ask someone who uses headphones.
I understand!

Certainly not a deal breaker for me.
post #333 of 570 Old 06-19-2014, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
If I may, one question about the headphone audio quality. I sometime watch movies late at night. Would I miss out on much with the output setup the way it is?
Well, there will be sound coming from the headphones but it will be distorted.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #334 of 570 Old 06-19-2014, 04:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
Well, there will be sound coming from the headphones but it will be distorted.
Thank you very much. Appreciate all the info you have provided.
post #335 of 570 Old 06-19-2014, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^
You're welcome. Just ask if you want to know more.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #336 of 570 Old 06-19-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Thrillcat,

Your setup is what I was seriously considering, but the really vocal negative views about the UMC-200 was making me have second thoughts. It seems to do everything I would want it to.
Here are the links to the more in-depth reviews I've done on both units.

UMC-200: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/dbtrev...4807&ri=review
UPA-700: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/dbtrev...4781&ri=review

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #337 of 570 Old 06-19-2014, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Any potential buyer of the UMC-200 must read this thread very carefully.
Based on the bugs discovered by Markus, its necessary to evaluate if the bugs have more weight than the UMC-200 advantages.

Prior to buy the UMC-200 i evaluated my needs, i wanted a processor that :
- PEQ (mandatory)
- cheap,
- run cool,
- Decode all new formats,
- work flawlessly using the HDMI connections (i only use HDMI)
- 5 years warranty

The only processor that was equally cheap was the Outlaw 975, but it hadn't a PEQ so it was discarded.

As i just use HDMI, don't use analogue connections, don't use EMOQ, dont use headphones, i could buy the UMC-200.

Regarding sound quality, prior to the UMC-200 (+UPA-700) i had an Arcam AVR350 (a receiver praised by its "musical" abilities), and to be honest, without activating the PEQ, i doubt that in a blind test i could distinguish one from another.
Both allowed me to get my speakers without distortion to levels i cant use normally.

Using the PEQ, the UMC-200 is superior.

So, if the bugs don't bother you, it's a great unit.
bootman_head_fi and rokbyter like this.
post #338 of 570 Old 06-19-2014, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Thrillcat/Neo

Thank you both for your input. The more I have to work with, the better. When I make a purchase like this, I really like to hear the good and bad so as to make an informed decision. Because of this I have decided to purchase the UMC/UPA combination. They sound just like what I am looking for and I want to try them for myself. If I don't like wither, can always go with something else.

This is a great thread with a lot of good info. A very big help in making my decision. Thanks to all who contributed.
post #339 of 570 Old 06-19-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Thrillcat/Neo

Thank you both for your input. The more I have to work with, the better. When I make a purchase like this, I really like to hear the good and bad so as to make an informed decision.
There is definitely good and bad with the combo. If the bad has to do with functions that you don't use, which it is for me and many others, it is a fantastic value.

Quote:
Because of this I have decided to purchase the UMC/UPA combination. They sound just like what I am looking for and I want to try them for myself. If I don't like wither, can always go with something else.

This is a great thread with a lot of good info. A very big help in making my decision. Thanks to all who contributed.
Check back and let us know what you think once you have it set up and in use. And let us know if you have any issues in your use. Always good to pay it forward. I learned a lot on this thread and on the various forums, and I like to help those who are in the same situation as me when I can.

If you haven't already found it, http://emotivalounge.proboards.com is another Emotiva-centric forum with plenty of good information.

post #340 of 570 Old 06-19-2014, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

/\/\

Thank you, will definitely let all know how it goes. Very excited to see how this goes.

Best regards.
post #341 of 570 Old 06-19-2014, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

While going through the posts here, I saw several times references to something called REW. What is this and where do I get it? I did not read every word of all posts, so if I missed an explanation please excuse me.

Thanks.
post #342 of 570 Old 06-19-2014, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
While going through the posts here, I saw several times references to something called REW. What is this and where do I get it?
http://www.roomeqwizard.com

Markus

post #343 of 570 Old 06-19-2014, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks again
post #344 of 570 Old 06-19-2014, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
... If the bad has to do with functions that you don't use, which it is for me and many others, it is a fantastic value.
This.
post #345 of 570 Old 06-24-2014, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Received my UMC 200 and UPA 700 just a short time ago. Everything seems to have come through in fine condition. Excellent packaging. After unpacking and inspecting, I am very happy with the build quality. I have not made final installation yet. Will do that later tonight when everyone else goes to bed. Will advise then of my impressions of the operational quality of these units.

Barring any unforeseen issues, see you later tonight.

Steve
thrillcat likes this.
post #346 of 570 Old 06-24-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Received my UMC 200 and UPA 700 just a short time ago. Everything seems to have come through in fine condition. Excellent packaging. After unpacking and inspecting, I am very happy with the build quality. I have not made final installation yet. Will do that later tonight when everyone else goes to bed. Will advise then of my impressions of the operational quality of these units.

Barring any unforeseen issues, see you later tonight.

Steve
Congratulations! Can't wait to hear your impressions.

post #347 of 570 Old 06-25-2014, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Congratulations! Can't wait to hear your impressions.
I got everything connected finally and gave it a try. I am very happy with this combination. I am running in direct mode for now. Did not run the room correction yet (don't remember what it is called ATT) but even in direct mode it sounds really good to me. The audio seems more distinct now. It may be just placebo effect, but I really think these two sound better than the receiver it replaced (Marantz NR-1604). I tried using headphones and while it might not be audiophile quality, it sounded fine to me.

I have always wanted to try separate components but could not afford them. I am sure there are more expensive units out there that may sound better and offer more bells and whistles, but for someone that wants to give separates a try, I don't think you can beat the UMC-200/UPA-700 combination. If asked, I would tell someone to give 'em a try, you might be pleasantly surprised.

If I may ask a question (which will show how much I don't know about this stuff). When manually setting up my speakers, I set the crossovers at
80 Hz. (including the SW). I then wanted to set the LFE level at 120, but when I selected that choice in the menu, it seemed to come up with individual sound modes. Also, the setting for each mode started at 00 and you could only enter a negative number. I know I am missing something here.

Any help/suggestions will be much appreciated.

Steve
post #348 of 570 Old 06-25-2014, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I got everything connected finally and gave it a try. I am very happy with this combination. I am running in direct mode for now. Did not run the room correction yet (don't remember what it is called ATT) but even in direct mode it sounds really good to me.
What sources and how are they connected? How have you set up crossovers?

Quote:
When manually setting up my speakers, I set the crossovers at
80 Hz. (including the SW). I then wanted to set the LFE level at 120, but when I selected that choice in the menu, it seemed to come up with individual sound modes. Also, the setting for each mode started at 00 and you could only enter a negative number. I know I am missing something here.
What menu are you looking at? Speaker crossovers are set in Setup > Speaker Setup > Size/Crossover

Markus

post #349 of 570 Old 06-25-2014, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What sources and how are they connected? How have you set up crossovers?

All sources connected via HDMI - 1. Fios Cable Box; 2. Oppo 103 (Had Deep Color on, now off); 3. Sony Multi Blu-Ray Carousel player (have not tested); 4. DVDO Duo (Laserdisc player and 3 game systems connected - have not tested yet). All crossovers left at default setting of 80 Hz. Speakers (5.1 system) set to small. Watching TV now and tried the Oppo last night. Oppo is set for 4:4:4 and Deep color turned off. Seems to be working fine like this.

What menu are you looking at? Speaker crossovers are set in Setup > Speaker Setup > Size/Crossover

Under Setup > Speaker Setup > LFE I get the following:

Ext. 7.1CH. 00dB
Multi PCM. 00dB
Dolby D. 00dB
Dolby HD. 00dB
Dolby DTS. 00dB
DTS-HD. 00dB
Reset Settings

On past receivers I had, I could set the "LPF of the LFE" to 120. That is what I was looking for when I went to this area.

Thank you for your help/advice.

Steve
post #350 of 570 Old 06-25-2014, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
All sources connected via HDMI - 1. Fios Cable Box; 2. Oppo 103 (Had Deep Color on, now off); 3. Sony Multi Blu-Ray Carousel player (have not tested); 4. DVDO Duo (Laserdisc player and 3 game systems connected - have not tested yet). All crossovers left at default setting of 80 Hz. Speakers (5.1 system) set to small. Watching TV now and tried the Oppo last night. Oppo is set for 4:4:4 and Deep color turned off. Seems to be working fine like this.
If you use Direct Mode then you'll either lose bass content and/or EQ.
Set listening modes as shown in post 130.

Quote:
Under Setup > Speaker Setup > LFE I get the following:

Ext. 7.1CH. 00dB
Multi PCM. 00dB
Dolby D. 00dB
Dolby HD. 00dB
Dolby DTS. 00dB
DTS-HD. 00dB
Reset Settings

On past receivers I had, I could set the "LPF of the LFE" to 120. That is what I was looking for when I went to this area.
That screen let's you change the LFE boost for different sound formats. Normally you don't need to adjust anything there. Leave everything at 0dB.

The low pass filter for the LFE can be changed in Setup > Speaker Setup > Size/Crossover
Set it to 120Hz

Markus

post #351 of 570 Old 06-25-2014, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If you use Direct Mode then you'll either lose bass content and/or EQ.
Set listening modes as shown in post 130.

I had written those down from when I read your post earlier but not entered yet. Will make sure to do so ASAP.

That screen let's you change the LFE boost for different sound formats. Normally you don't need to adjust anything there. Leave everything at 0dB.

The low pass filter for the LFE can be changed in Setup > Speaker Setup > Size/Crossover
Set it to 120Hz
Will do this right away.

Thank you very much for help.

Definitely some quirks with this preamp, but for me, they are more than manageable.

If I may ask something else, how do I take the silver colored faceplate off? I thought a hex screwdriver (?) might be included with shorter screws, but did not see one. Don't believe I have the correct size hex screwdriver.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Steve
post #352 of 570 Old 06-25-2014, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^
To set the LFE LPF you have to change "Subwoofer".

Emotiva finds it "less confusing" to call "LFE" "subwoofer". Seriously, I had that discussion with their "technical guru" as he likes to call himself.

Markus

post #353 of 570 Old 06-25-2014, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
^
To set the LFE LPF you have to change "Subwoofer".

Emotiva finds it "less confusing" to call "LFE" "subwoofer". Seriously, I had that discussion with their "technical guru" as he likes to call himself.
Thank you for all your help.
post #354 of 570 Old 06-26-2014, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone been able to get the UMC 200 to work with a Verizon Fios remote control. My remote model is the Philips RC 1445302. I have tried the procedure where you push the fast forward button multiple times, but that did not seem to work. May have been my fault.

Thanks for any help.

Steve
post #355 of 570 Old 07-08-2014, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Hi Markus... just posting here as requested from over in the REW thread. I have REW and have been playing with the measurements sucessfully. But I don't have the UMC yet. Probably will have it by this weekend. I have four Seaton subs and also a Xilica xp2040 EQ for the subs only. Have been using the Marantz 8801 but am interested in moving away from Audyssey to the finer control of PEQ. Thanks for any upcoming tips on using REW and it's generated filters.
post #356 of 570 Old 07-09-2014, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post
Hi Markus... just posting here as requested from over in the REW thread. I have REW and have been playing with the measurements sucessfully. But I don't have the UMC yet. Probably will have it by this weekend. I have four Seaton subs and also a Xilica xp2040 EQ for the subs only. Have been using the Marantz 8801 but am interested in moving away from Audyssey to the finer control of PEQ. Thanks for any upcoming tips on using REW and it's generated filters.
How many satellites do you have? How many seats?
Are you using REW with a timing reference (loopback on channel 2)?

Markus

post #357 of 570 Old 07-09-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Right now I only have a front row of seats. More to come later.

4 surrounds.. sides and rears.

No loopback as I am using HDMI to the processor for REW's output and USB for the mic (UMM-6).
post #358 of 570 Old 07-09-2014, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^
Without a timing reference things can get very tedious and some things can't be done (time-alignment of speakers or complex summation of measured responses for example). I strongly recommend to get a calibrated mic and an external USB interface that allows loopback. I'm currently using a Steinberg UR22.

Anyway, could you please do the following measurements and upload the .mdat:
1) L/C/R/LS/RS/LB/RB: main listening position where your head would be
2) L/C/R: 10cm to the left and the right of 1
3) C: 30cm to the front and the back of 1
4) L/C/R: Left and right seat where the head of a listener would be

Make sure no crossover is engaged, i.e. all speakers are set to large. Mic tip should be at ear height for all measurements. Have the mic pointing towards the ceiling and have the appropriate mic calibration file loaded.

Markus

Last edited by markus767; 07-09-2014 at 07:40 AM.
post #359 of 570 Old 07-09-2014, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok thanks I will get these right away. So no sub only measurement nor the sub engaged with any other speakers?

And the measurement would be just a full range sine sweep.. 10hz - 20000hz?
post #360 of 570 Old 07-09-2014, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^
Just single speakers, no high pass filter, no sub. Use a sweep length of 512k.
We'll measure the sub(s) in a second step. How are your 4 subs connected?

Markus

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva Umc 200 7 1 Home Theater Preamp Surround Processor , Onkyo Tx Nr3008 9 2 Channel Network Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver
Gear in this thread - 2312ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page