"Official" Emotiva UMC-200 Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-23-2014, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Hopefully and easy question, but how to you measure each individual speaker? Unplug all the connections to the amp minus the one you're measuring? if so, hope to you apply the PEQ? I have unplugged all the connections to the amp except for the center channel, and it does not seem to be applying the EQ settings I generate from REW after I manually enter them.

"In nature there are neither rewards nor punishments; there are consequences."Robert Green Ingersoll

Noman74656's Martycube Builds
My Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1201 Post(s)
Liked: 1164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noman74656 View Post
Hopefully and easy question, but how to you measure each individual speaker? Unplug all the connections to the amp minus the one you're measuring? if so, hope to you apply the PEQ? I have unplugged all the connections to the amp except for the center channel, and it does not seem to be applying the EQ settings I generate from REW after I manually enter them.
Yes. Unplug like u did. Settings should save.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:04 PM

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
Yes. Unplug like u did. Settings should save.
Excellent, but when I highlight manual EQ 1, then run REW again, the measurements look the same as before. Actually, identical nearly. Is there another setting I'm missing? The only mode that the test signal will come through is "All Stereo", right? The only other ones I can select are "Stereo" and "Direct" but no sound come through the center then.

"In nature there are neither rewards nor punishments; there are consequences."Robert Green Ingersoll

Noman74656's Martycube Builds
My Theater

Last edited by Noman74656; 08-23-2014 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Addition detail
Old 08-23-2014, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
^
Thanks! and do you think sending the signals over airplay through the Apple TV would work equally as well? I tried that the other day and it seemed to work fine.
I wouldn't do that. Too many things can go wrong.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole

Last edited by markus767; 08-23-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Excellent, but when I highlight manual EQ 1, then run REW again, the measurements look the same as before. Actually, identical nearly. Is there another setting I'm missing? The only mode that the test signal will come through is "All Stereo", right? The only other ones I can select are "Stereo" and "Direct" but no sound come through the center then.
Did you study the signal flow charts that I've posted in this thread? Get familiar with them. This will explain why you don't see PEQ changes in the center.

Use the analog out of your Mac and send the signal to one of the analog inputs of the UMC-200. AN 1 L for example. Then simply connect the speaker you want to measure to the L preamp out.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
Old 09-02-2014, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Is it true that this unit does not have tone controls for treble and bass? I ordered one of these taht will be delivered tomorrow only to find that apparently, this is not present on the UMC-200. If it truly does not have a way to adjust the tone isn't this a deal breaker for some of you.

I constantly fiddle with the tone depending on the song or compression on the audio I am playing. Are you telling me you can't do this on a sound processor?

Someone please tell me this isn't true or at a minimum isn't an issue. Might return it before I even unbox it.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

No it doesn't have dedicated tone button. It has better ... peq . It does have bass trim button on remote to change level easily .
Old 09-02-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
No it doesn't have dedicated tone button. It has better ... peq . It does have bass trim button on remote to change level easily .
This will be my first forray into seperates. Coming from a Pioneer SC-75 which did not impress from a sound standpoint and an ailing H/K 635, which sounds awesome. I am very curious how this unit holds up to the H/K.

Thanks for the info. No tone control just seems like a pretty large omission.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

To me the main reason to buy this unit is clean sound , peq , and flexibility with xo settings and slopes. With proper setup it can sound amazing. If you just run emo-q and listen you will probably be disappointed.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:57 PM

^
I'm somewhat versed in manually configuring audio equipment so hopefully I can tweak the best out of the UMC. 30 day return policy is nice, won't hurt to give it a shot.

I figured since it uses the Cirrus logic chip-set similar to Anthem and H/K it would have that smooth sound presentation once it is all setup. Am I far off or does it have more of a harsh, clinical sound like the Japanese AVRs which I am not a big fan of?

I know I am generalizing but I am really curious how it generally sounds compared to some of the all-in-one AVRs out there.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

To me it doesn't color the sound. The emo-q setting is pretty flat. I like a dynamic yet smooth sound. Best way to use peq is too use rew software to measure and tweak a bit manually from there. Find 4-5 songs you know really.well that have a different sound. Hard rock , jazz , vocal solo , etc. Remember you can customize to why you like. My settings sound like they would.be a bit hot in the treble for what you want.

If you can't make it work then send it back .
Old 09-03-2014, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiotypE View Post
Is it true that this unit does not have tone controls for treble and bass?
No, it doesn't have treble/bass controls. It has an equalizer on board though. You have to set it for each speaker individually.

Markus

Old 09-03-2014, 10:16 AM

To all of those that responded to m y "tone control" question above, Thank you. Do you find you miss tone controls or does the PEQ do a good enough job where you aren't always reach for the control to add more bass
or treble.

I just find with some content you have to bump bass or treble up or down to get a more dynamic sound. I can't say I have ever owned a piece of audio gear that did not have this feature so it has me a bit concerned at this point. Like someone said above, I can always return it, if it become a big deal. I am just curious if the absence of tone controls is something any of you miss or have a problem with?
Old 09-03-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
To all of those that responded to m y "tone control" question above, Thank you. Do you find you miss tone controls or does the PEQ do a good enough job where you aren't always reach for the control to add more bass
or treble.

I just find with some content you have to bump bass or treble up or down to get a more dynamic sound. I can't say I have ever owned a piece of audio gear that did not have this feature so it has me a bit concerned at this point. Like someone said above, I can always return it, if it become a big deal. I am just curious if the absence of tone controls is something any of you miss or have a problem with?
The PEQ gives so much more flexibility than a simple tone control. You can make infinite adjustments whereas with tone controls you are limited to what the manufacturer gives you. The UMC has an automated an automated EQ, 3 adjustable user EQ's and a Flat setting which has no EQ.
Each of the 3 user EQ's can be adjusted to your preference. You could set one for boost/cuts at highs, mids and lows. A simple trip to the UMC menu and select the EQ for the type music you are going to listen to.
You may not like going to the menu. Personally I would never attempt to sit and adjust the tone control each time a new song is played.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:17 AM

Liked: 110
Quote:
or treble.

A good preamp/amp combo's goal is to not color the sound at all. The goal should be to reproduce the sound as it was recorded and delivered by the artist/producer/engineer/mastering. That being said, your room will have an effect on the sound before it makes it to your ears. A simple bass/treble/tone knob will not really do squat to reduce the effect of your room. The PEQ in the UMC200 will work wonders in allowing you to reduce the coloration introduced by your room.

I, personally, have been a bit surprised and pleased with my UMC-200/UPA-700 combo in that I have been running it flat, with no EmoQ or PEQ applied and, while I'm sure it could be improved upon, it sounds really effing good in my odd theater room and I haven't found the sound needing PEQ enough to take the time and really dial it in. I'm sure some rainy day when I have nothing else to work on (probably sometime in 2072) I'll dial it in, but it's not an urgent matter.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread

Last edited by thrillcat; 09-03-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well after having the UMC-200 for almost 2 months, I am pretty happy overall. But there is a quirk I have found in the audio dropping out that I am not sure if it is an unavoidable drawback of the model, or something that needs to be repaired.

I read from others about sound drop outs while watching TiVo (in my case, the Premiere series 4 model). Some surmised the sound drop outs were caused by the HDMI output signal from the TiVO not being strong enough for the UMC-200. The proposed work around was to connect the TiVo to the UMC-200 with a toslink cable for the audio portion and use the HDMI for video only. This seems to work for me as well.

However, I encountered many, many dropouts in audio when watching a standard DVD on my Playstation 3. I did not encounter any such issues with PS3 playback with any other media such as downloaded games and Blu-Ray. I tried the toslink solution and it solved the drop out issue with standard DVD playback.

But it is not a permanent solution. The problem is that toslink would not transmit the higher bandwidth soundtracks as Dolby TruHD and DTS-HD when watching Blu-Ray discs. So I am stuck going into the setup of the PS3 and the UMC-200 each time if I want to watch a BluRay disc where I set it up to watch a standard DVD previously, and vice-a-versa.

Does anyone else have a similar set-up and encounter the same problem? Perhaps you found a solution other than what I used?

Since I received the model recently, I am guessing it has the most recent firmware, so I believe the solution (if any) lies elsewhere. Higher end HDMI cables, perhaps?
Old 09-03-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Would not spend anymore money on HDMI cables then redmere from monoprice (6$). There as good as you need. Is most of your movies streaming ?
Old 09-03-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thos19 View Post
I read from others about sound drop outs while watching TiVo (in my case, the Premiere series 4 model).

However, I encountered many, many dropouts in audio when watching a standard DVD on my Playstation 3.

Does anyone else have a similar set-up and encounter the same problem? Perhaps you found a solution other than what I used?

Higher end HDMI cables, perhaps?
I've had the problem with my TiVo Series 4, but never with my PS3. What audio format do you have the PS3 set to output?

And I agree, 'higher end' HDMI cables probably won't make a difference, but you could try a different HDMI cable. I've had no cable issues with Blue Rigger cables from Amazon - about the same price as the redmere cables mentioned.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Would not spend anymore money on HDMI cables then redmere from monoprice (6$). There as good as you need. Is most of your movies streaming ?
Mine are mid-line cables, so it probably isn't the issue...

I don't stream much from PS3 (I use Apple TV mostly...no sound drop outs there).

Funny...I would have thought the higher definition formats (Blu-Ray) would have an issues before the lower bit rate sources (DVD)...
Old 09-03-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
I've had the problem with my TiVo Series 4, but never with my PS3. What audio format do you have the PS3 set to output?
If I remember correctly, the HDMI output from PS3 is set to the default (auto-detect?). When I switched the audio output to the toslink cable, I specifically chose Dolby Digital.

For what it's worth, my former pre-amp was an Onkyo PR-SC885P which never had any of these issues. That is what leads me to suspect the fault lies in the UMC-200 and not the source components.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thos19 View Post
If I remember correctly, the HDMI output from PS3 is set to the default (auto-detect?). When I switched the audio output to the toslink cable, I specifically chose Dolby Digital.
It's definitely a quirk with the UMC (and don't expect it to get fixed), but most are having no problems playing from a PS3. Try setting your PS3 to send Bitstream to the UMC and let it decode there. That's how mine is setup ad I have no problems.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:07 AM

UMC-200 and UPA-700 arrive today. I will post my impressions related to SQ. I have owned numerous avrs from numerous companies (Pioneer, Anthem, H/K, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony) so I am very excited to test this combo out to see how it compares to the AVRs I have owned in the past. Going to be a fun evening of tweaking.

Current setup:
KEF IQ90s L/R
KEF IQ30s Surround
KEF IQ60c Center
H/K AVR 635

Soon to be UMC-200
UPA-700
thrillcat likes this.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:38 PM

Well I have the UMC-200 and UPA-500 hooked up. I just set the crossovers and gave it a quick whirl and all I can say (without any type of calibration) is WOW!!!!

So much clearer, cleaner. This combo actually pushes my IQ90s which I have always felt were being under utilized with every AVR I have ever owned. Meaty crystal clear sound!!

Going through the menus I am amazed at how much control you have over the crossovers. The bass management system on this thing is worlds beyond any AVR I have had my hands on.

I recently posted about the lack of a "tone" control on the UMC-200 and now I see that it just doesn't matter. I thumbed through about 20 songs of varied types and none of them had me
reaching for the non-existent tone control. If this baby sounds this good without calibration or eq'ing, I can't wait to hear what it sounds like once I get my hands around the PEQ.

Amazing at this price point you can have quality sound like this. The clarity and robustness of the sound is amazing.

I am coming from:
Pioneer Elise Sc-75
Antehm MRX 510
H/K AVR 635
Onkyo 808

None of the above give you as much flexibility and tweak-ability as what I just witnessed today. I thought my stuff sounded pretty good, how wrong I have been. If my early impressions are anything to go by, I don't see myself ever going back to a standard AVR again. Can't wait to get home and tweak this thing.
dwaleke, oatmeal769 and chalugadp like this.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I feel the same way about mine. If you recommend emotiva processor people think the umc1 or fiasco of xmc.

I think at under 600$ you can't do better if you like to tweak your system.

Try your center channel with 24db slope. I know your suppossed to keep lcr with same slopes but I really like mains with 12db and cc with 24..its cool to be able to play around .
dwaleke likes this.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Glad to see you like it.|
A little over a year later, and I'm still loving mine.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:59 AM

Got my music sounding exactly how I like using a quality PEQ plugin in fruity loops and then transcribed those setting into the UMC-200. Worked perfectly. I will tell you what though,
changing all of those values on all of the speakers is a time consuming and nauseatingly tedious event. Well worth it though!!!! Switched between EMO-EQ and my manual EQ and Manual is
much richer, smoother and all around better for all content.

Now, I am even more impressed than I was before. Just for testing, I hooked up the H/K 635 (which I have really enjoyed) to the new UPA-500 and was very underwhelmed with it in comparison to the UMC-200 after my eq work. Not in the same league which is surprising since I really love the sound of the H/K up tot his point.

I am sure there is more I can do to fine tune everything but this has been a very fun and rewarding en-devour.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Well I have the UMC-200 and UPA-500 hooked up. I just set the crossovers and gave it a quick whirl and all I can say (without any type of calibration) is WOW!!!!

So much clearer, cleaner. This combo actually pushes my IQ90s which I have always felt were being under utilized with every AVR I have ever owned. Meaty crystal clear sound!!

Going through the menus I am amazed at how much control you have over the crossovers. The bass management system on this thing is worlds beyond any AVR I have had my hands on.

I recently posted about the lack of a "tone" control on the UMC-200 and now I see that it just doesn't matter. I thumbed through about 20 songs of varied types and none of them had me
reaching for the non-existent tone control. If this baby sounds this good without calibration or eq'ing, I can't wait to hear what it sounds like once I get my hands around the PEQ.

Amazing at this price point you can have quality sound like this. The clarity and robustness of the sound is amazing.

I am coming from:
Pioneer Elise Sc-75
Antehm MRX 510
H/K AVR 635
Onkyo 808

None of the above give you as much flexibility and tweak-ability as what I just witnessed today. I thought my stuff sounded pretty good, how wrong I have been. If my early impressions are anything to go by, I don't see myself ever going back to a standard AVR again. Can't wait to get home and tweak this thing.

So how would you rate the sound quality of the UMC-200 to the Anthem MRX510? Did you also use the preouts on the MRX510 or the speaker outs from the MRX510 own amp?
Old 09-06-2014, 01:12 PM

^^ I had the MRX hooked up to a similarly powered amp. I has used it extensively via pre-outs as well as using it's internal amps. Surprisingly, I did not notice any real difference between the two. Anthems have a great amp section.

Music:
The MRX has a very, very clean high-end, well separated and very nuanced so I have to give it the edge in the higher frequencies so far but it is very close and that is without me being even close to finishing the eq-ing of the UMC.

Md-bass and Lower end are much better on the UMC than the Anthem, all of the flexibility in the bass management of the UMC just trumps anything I have ever been able to accomplish with he MRX. Music sounds "fuller" with the UMC for certain.

Both have great control and don't get sloppy with any content.

Movies: The UMC handily trumps the MRX from a sound stage perspective and has a very enveloping surround sound stage. Because it also has such extensive tweak ability, it is just a way better solution for Home theater. In my opinion there isn't a comparison between the MRX and UMC for movies. UMC all the way and then some. The MRX sounded good but it seemed to loose a lot of detail on the surrounds and did not push the fronts even with separates nearly as well. I blame how ARC handles the crossovers for this.

After spending some time with the UMC, I think it is an overall better option than the MRX especially if you enjoy music and movies, it just give you so much control over the sound. The EmoQ does a great job with the distances and levels but you WILL want to start over with the eq, I originally praised the sound of the unit pre calibration but after starting from scratch Music and Movies sound amazing. MRX is a great AVR but I really like the control this unit gives over it.
chalugadp likes this.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
just got my emotiva umc-200, i thought i ordered a used unit from amazon warehouse deals but was surprised to find a brand new unit.

connected 5 krk rp5g2 powered monitors and a krk 10s powered sub (i used male xlr to male rca 16AWG cables i purchased from monoprice). placed the monitors the way emotiva instructed, set my sub to 0db and set the lowpass freq to 130hz(highest), ran the emoq calibration.

checked and ran the test tones in the emotiva menu, measured the db levels with my own spl meter and balanced all channels

for the sub, turned off all monitors except 1, played a 300hz, 0db tone, measured db level from a few inches away. turned all monitors off except sub, played a 34hz, 0db tone, measured db level from a few inches away and adjusted sub to match db level of the 1 monitor. (used an online tone generator the audiocheck website)

also connected a pair of aura ast-2b-4 bass shakers for the lower frequencies my sub cant reach

sounds amazing! clean sound, no distortion, no hiss and no ground loop problems that i used to have with my yamaha or onkyo receiver. i should have purchased this pre amp instead of wasting money on those other avrs in the same price range.

watching my fav flicks all over again
Old 09-06-2014, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Djsinger View Post
just got my emotiva umc-200, i thought i ordered a used unit from amazon warehouse deals but was surprised to find a brand new unit.

connected 5 krk rp5g2 powered monitors and a krk 10s powered sub (i used male xlr to male rca 16AWG cables i purchased from monoprice). placed the monitors the way emotiva instructed, set my sub to 0db and set the lowpass freq to 130hz(highest), ran the emoq calibration.

checked and ran the test tones in the emotiva menu, measured the db levels with my own spl meter and balanced all channels

for the sub, turned off all monitors except 1, played a 300hz, 0db tone, measured db level from a few inches away. turned all monitors off except sub, played a 34hz, 0db tone, measured db level from a few inches away and adjusted sub to match db level of the 1 monitor. (used an online tone generator the audiocheck website)

also connected a pair of aura ast-2b-4 bass shakers for the lower frequencies my sub cant reach

sounds amazing! clean sound, no distortion, no hiss and no ground loop problems that i used to have with my yamaha or onkyo receiver. i should have purchased this pre amp instead of wasting money on those other avrs in the same price range.

watching my fav flicks all over again
That's good.. Time to diy a pair of 18" subs
dwaleke likes this.

Tags
Emotiva Umc 200 7 1 Home Theater Preamp Surround Processor , Onkyo Tx Nr3008 9 2 Channel Network Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver
Gear in this thread - 2312ci by PriceGrabber.com