Forum Jump: 

post #481 of 490 Old 09-06-2014, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by thos19 View Post
If I remember correctly, the HDMI output from PS3 is set to the default (auto-detect?). When I switched the audio output to the toslink cable, I specifically chose Dolby Digital.

For what it's worth, my former pre-amp was an Onkyo PR-SC885P which never had any of these issues. That is what leads me to suspect the fault lies in the UMC-200 and not the source components.
Try turning off "Deep Color" in the PS3 menus. I had a similar issue and turning off deep color solved the issue for me.

-Morfious
Panasonic 65ZT60 Plasma
Emotiva UMC-200
Emotiva XPA-5
B&W (CMC2, CM5)
SVS SB13 Ultra Sub (Planned Upgrade)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 490 Old 09-06-2014, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Update: Well I really dug in with my son working on the PEQ on this system and it has surpassed my expectations in BIG way. Easily better sounding than even my Anthem, which I loved.

As I mentioned before, we didn't use a scientific method to set it up. We loaded the fab filter proQ in fruity loops, loaded several songs from different genres and sculpted the EQ to where they all sounded good. Then simply transcribed the Q, Gain and frequency values into the manual eq on the UMC-200. Took a bit of time but WOW does this thing sound good now.

So, without question, this is the best sounding kit I have had in my home. Very impressed.
oatmeal769 likes this.
post #483 of 490 Old 09-07-2014, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
thats sounds awesome!!!

had some trouble with the hdmi handshaking (no audio). when i let the umc-200 control the tv power, and restart the umc-200 it restores audio. this has happened with all my other avrs. i always had a workaroind, like for my yamaha i would have to have my sources on first before powering on the receiver.

i'm thinking it may be my hdmi cables... i read on one forum that the hdmi handshake problems were solved replacing the cables...i bought some amazonbasics hdmi cables (with ethernet?) for $4@.
post #484 of 490 Old 09-07-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Djsinger View Post
no, not the flat setting, just kept whatever auto setting the emo-q calibration set. i only changed the setting in the speaker setup-->test tones...i like the sound but maybe will play around with the manual setting...

if i change values in the manual setting can i go back to the previous settings emo-q set?
Yes
post #485 of 490 Old 09-07-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiotypE View Post
Is it true that this unit does not have tone controls for treble and bass? I ordered one of these taht will be delivered tomorrow only to find that apparently, this is not present on the UMC-200. If it truly does not have a way to adjust the tone isn't this a deal breaker for some of you.

I constantly fiddle with the tone depending on the song or compression on the audio I am playing. Are you telling me you can't do this on a sound processor?

Someone please tell me this isn't true or at a minimum isn't an issue. Might return it before I even unbox it.
this umc-200 sounds so good you wont need a tone control knob...i used to use the tone control knob on my other avrs. They dont sound anything close to the umc-200 which explains why i needed it.

on my old avr, i used to have to increase my volume to hear dialogue and then decrease it when a scene got crazy with explosions....now i can just enjoy the movie
post #486 of 490 Old 09-07-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphillips View Post
Yeah, but it looks cool. With respect to Mr. D'Appolito, I'll consider placing them on top of the cabinet, upright.
would it be possible to install them into the wall covering them with a speaker grill cloth matching the color of the wall...not flush with the wall maybe slightly out, and speakers should be front firing, would this work?
post #487 of 490 Old 09-07-2014, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Djsinger View Post
would it be possible to install them into the wall covering them with a speaker grill cloth matching the color of the wall...not flush with the wall maybe slightly out, and speakers should be front firing, would this work?
Thanks for the suggestion.
post #488 of 490 Old 09-09-2014, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Well after two days my UMC-200 is in decline. When it changes digital formats it will randomly shoot loud popping and static to all of my channels. The volume of which, is directly proportional to how loud the system is playing at the time.

I performed a factory reset and it happened right when it booted up and locked on to a DD signal.

Should have a new one in tomorrow. Makes me a little gun-shy about recommending this product but was most likely just a lemon. Positive thinking
post #489 of 490 Old 09-10-2014, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiotypE View Post
Well after two days my UMC-200 is in decline. When it changes digital formats it will randomly shoot loud popping and static to all of my channels. The volume of which, is directly proportional to how loud the system is playing at the time.

I performed a factory reset and it happened right when it booted up and locked on to a DD signal.

Should have a new one in tomorrow. Makes me a little gun-shy about recommending this product but was most likely just a lemon. Positive thinking
Sure hope it goes well; had mine for better part of a year, still going strong. I haven't even bothered with peq or rew, one of these days...
post #490 of 490 Old 09-10-2014, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Bio...one note. Mine did that once or twice when I first set it up. It was eliminated by setting each of my source devices to send a specific output, instead of setting them to "Auto" and sending whatever they want. So, for the TiVo I'm sending DD via an optical cable. The PS3 is sending bitstream down the HDMI pipe. The AppleTV is sending DD via HDMI. The Xbox is, well, I don't know because I never turn it on.

It would seem that the UMC doesn't like fast format switches and cut-outs. So, for example, you're on your DVR and it's receiving DD5.1 during a show, then it cuts to a local commercial break and the signal drops out completely for a split second, then might switch over to PCM Stereo, so the UMC is trying to decode 3 different formats over the course of about 30 frames of video, it throws a middle finger in the air and screams. It can be even worse with something like a PS3, which, switching to it could cycle the UMC through DD5.1, no signal, PCM Stereo from the device, DD5.1 because it senses it's in BD player mode, and then the disc itself could switch it over to a DTS format, or a 7.1 format.

I know, most $200 receivers can do this without a hitch, but most $200 receivers don't give you the sound quality you've experienced, especially at the value that attracted you in the first place.

It can be overcome, just lock your sources in on a format they're sending. Make sure you've gone through and told the UMC what format to decode from each input and based on every type of format that could be thrown at it. Another tip is to turn off "10-bit" or "12-bit" or "deep color" mode on any of your sources.

Think of it like the PEQ vs. EmoQ. You could set it on "Auto/EmoQ", but it performs much, much better when you tell it exactly what to do. It gets a little flustered when you want it to make decisions. Just be assertive. It will obey, and it will make you very happy, and you won't be sacrificing any quality at all.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva Umc 200 7 1 Home Theater Preamp Surround Processor , Onkyo Tx Nr3008 9 2 Channel Network Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver
Gear in this thread - 2312ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page