post #541 of 570 Old 09-28-2014, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
Rpml:

I have ran into issues if you try to set speaker levels with an dbmeter with the built-in test tones. The sub is usually way too hot if you do it that way.

EmoQ often makes things worse - not better. The UMC-200 only shines if you set levels and PEQ yourself. Get a calibrated usb microphone and REW and then take some time to learn how to use it (it's not that hard). Then set your levels with tones generated from REW and then set the PEQ with REW as well.
Yeah, i started reading on REW last night..l will take a bit more reading... trying to find the most cost effective mic/setup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 570 Old 09-28-2014, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpml View Post
Yeah, i started reading on REW last night..l will take a bit more reading... trying to find the most cost effective mic/setup
Look at the calibrated mics from cross spectrum labs. The usb dayton and minidsp umik1 are by far the easiest. No sound card necessary - as long as you're not trying to time align drivers.
post #543 of 570 Old 09-28-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
Look at the calibrated mics from cross spectrum labs. The usb dayton and minidsp umik1 are by far the easiest. No sound card necessary - as long as you're not trying to time align drivers.

Thanks.. will look at the umik. I was curious.. i use a HTPC.. can i run rew right on that machine to check all 5 channels? everyone i see on tutorials always seem to be using 2channel analog
post #544 of 570 Old 09-28-2014, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 60
You can. Depends on what OS your HTPC is running. In Windows you can hit each individual channel over HDMI connection. Can't do that in Linux. Not sure on the Mac.
post #545 of 570 Old 09-28-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpml View Post
Thanks.. will look at the umik. I was curious.. i use a HTPC.. can i run rew right on that machine to check all 5 channels? everyone i see on tutorials always seem to be using 2channel analog
You could just plug in the surround speakers into the front L/R terminals. Same for the center channel. REW doesn't know or care from where the sound comes from. There is an REW 5.1 Beta program. You need to be a member of that forum to download it - the REW program is free. I haven't downloaded it yet. I'm still working on using the REW 4.0 version.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!

Last edited by Knucklehead90; 09-28-2014 at 01:45 PM. Reason: add link
post #546 of 570 Old 09-29-2014, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post
You could just plug in the surround speakers into the front L/R terminals. Same for the center channel. REW doesn't know or care from where the sound comes from. There is an REW 5.1 Beta program. You need to be a member of that forum to download it - the REW program is free. I haven't downloaded it yet. I'm still working on using the REW 4.0 version.
Ah got it.. thanks
post #547 of 570 Old 10-01-2014, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got an email reply from Emotiva today indicating that it should be capable of bi-amping with 2.0 or 3.1 output. Looks like I'm going to order it along with the XPA-5 and I'll report back with my findings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
Did you ask Emotiva?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxetera View Post
My room correction goal is to have my computer replicate my 2 channel stereo into 4.1 so that each L,R speaker is bi-amped, plus a sub. Each channel will have several filters generated with Accourate to send only the correct hi-low frequencies to each driver as well as apply any room correction, time aligning etc. This 4.1 info will be sent out to a DAC and then into the UMC-200. The role of the UMC-200 7.1 Direct Inputs in this case is purely as a pass-through to get the 4.1 signals from the DAC to the XPA-5 amp and sub-amp. This I know the UMC-200 can "handle" since I'm not asking it to do anything special.

WRT letting the UMC-200 take care of the bi-amping role, the problem is that the manual is vague as to the capabilities. It sounds like it will have no problems taking a 5.1 HDMI input and using the two rear surrounds in a bi-amp mode and reproduce the L & R outputs. That's what the manual states, and I'm assuming in this mode it will also take a 7.1 input and downmix to 5.1 and bi-amp (although the manual is not clear on this point). However, if you remove the left and right surround channels in a 5.1 setup, then what happens? Will the UMC-200 detect that you are effectively running a 3.1 system in bi-amp mode? Will it correctly down-mix the signal and work as intended?

Similarly with a 2.0 input signal, can the UMC-200 output 2.1 and bi-amp at the same time, effectively running a 4.1 output?
post #548 of 570 Old 10-02-2014, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 308
^
Not sure why you want to bi-amp. You're replacing a perfectly fine passive crossover in your speakers with no crossover.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #549 of 570 Old 10-02-2014, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
^
Not sure why you want to bi-amp. You're replacing a perfectly fine passive crossover in your speakers with no crossover.
I only have a 5.1 configuration, so i'm using channels 6 & 7 to bi-amp my mains, using the bi-amp feature of the UMC-200.
To be honest i don't know if it brings any increment in quality, but as i already have the speaker cables in place, i've decided to use them.

Do you think that it does more harm than good?
post #550 of 570 Old 10-02-2014, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_2009 View Post
I only have a 5.1 configuration, so i'm using channels 6 & 7 to bi-amp my mains, using the bi-amp feature of the UMC-200.
To be honest i don't know if it brings any increment in quality, but as i already have the speaker cables in place, i've decided to use them.

I tried it previously. No harm, but no audible benefit in my setup.

Perhaps the extra headroom would make the EQ more effective if you were bumping it up more than 3 db on a filter in the lower frequencies. Just a guess though.

"In nature there are neither rewards nor punishments; there are consequences."Robert Green Ingersoll

Noman74656's Martycube Builds
My Theater
post #551 of 570 Old 10-02-2014, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you send a full bandwidth signal to your tweeters, they will eventually go up in smoke. There is a reason speakers have crossovers...

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #552 of 570 Old 10-02-2014, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
If you send a full bandwidth signal to your tweeters, they will eventually go up in smoke. There is a reason speakers have crossovers...
So, by your response, using bi-amp not only doesn't have any sonic benefit, but may eventually do more harm?
If so, do you advise to remove it?
post #553 of 570 Old 10-02-2014, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So, by your response, using bi-amp not only doesn't have any sonic benefit, but may eventually do more harm?
If so, do you advise to remove it?
If you disable the crossover to the single drivers within a speaker and send a full bandwidth signal to each driver then yes, you do more harm than good.
Good read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_crossover
neo_2009 likes this.

Markus

post #554 of 570 Old 10-02-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
^
What speakers is he looking to biamp? AFAIK, regardless the signal is still going to go through the passive crossover. Passive biamping is worthless, only active biamping gives you the results you're looking for.

Television: Mitsubishi WD65737 DLP
Processor: Emotiva UMC-200
Amps: Carver AV 806x/Behringer EP4000
Mains: DCM TimeFrame 600 Center: AT 453C
Surrounds: AT 251.1 Sub: Danley DTS-10
Blu Ray: Panasonic DMP-BD655
post #555 of 570 Old 10-02-2014, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post
Passive biamping is worthless
Exactly.

Quote:
only active biamping gives you the results you're looking for.
Yes and someone trying to accomplish this task needs to have detailed measurements of the drivers. He also needs to be able to do anechoic measurements to verify the results.

Markus

Last edited by markus767; 10-02-2014 at 01:59 PM.
post #556 of 570 Old 10-04-2014, 06:31 PM

Couple of bugs i'm curious about..

I have had this thing for a week or so now.. it has forgotten the speaker distances 3 times.. then tonight a buddy stopped by that owned a umc-1 and i was complaining bout the sound in the last few days. he had me switch between flat and emoq and there was zero sound difference. Told me to unplug the umc-200 and turn it back on... bam.. emoq settings work again. Is this a known issue (which how could this seriously not be fixed in what 5 years since the umc-1 was around?) or a bad unit?

P.S. got the dayton mic and a spl meter.. gonna start learning rew..
P.P.S. Are there other pre's that you guys know of without these kind of bugs in the same price range? i think i could still return this umc-200 i like the XPA-5 though.. keeping it
post #557 of 570 Old 10-06-2014, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I bought a unit and it should be delivered tomorrow.

A couple of questions to help clarify things for me.

-Are the "Direct Mode" and "All stereo" modes, assuming that HDMI is the input, different in that if in Direct Mode the original signal is put through while the All Stereo mode will apply additional processing to derive a channel that is absent, for example lets say a 2.1 signal will output a 5.1?

And I saw a diagram/graph on the output signals and read that there is a flaw in a few outputs but I couldn't really understand it since the only obvious flaws, that I could see, were the Headphones output and "All Stereo, Mode, 2 Channel Analog/PCM input" but both "Direct Modes PCM" were listed.

I was also wondering if anyone was using a receiver/amp with it's own volume control. I am thinking of puting the UMC volume at halfway and just using my receivers volume control. I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance
post #558 of 570 Old 10-06-2014, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^
Depends on the signal that is sent via HDMI. Please see the diagram in this post.

Markus

post #559 of 570 Old 10-07-2014, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J__Chris View Post
I bought a unit and it should be delivered tomorrow.

A couple of questions to help clarify things for me.

-Are the "Direct Mode" and "All stereo" modes, assuming that HDMI is the input, different in that if in Direct Mode the original signal is put through while the All Stereo mode will apply additional processing to derive a channel that is absent, for example lets say a 2.1 signal will output a 5.1?

And I saw a diagram/graph on the output signals and read that there is a flaw in a few outputs but I couldn't really understand it since the only obvious flaws, that I could see, were the Headphones output and "All Stereo, Mode, 2 Channel Analog/PCM input" but both "Direct Modes PCM" were listed.

I was also wondering if anyone was using a receiver/amp with it's own volume control. I am thinking of puting the UMC volume at halfway and just using my receivers volume control. I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance

all stereo, as others have said, should be called 'all channel'.

--if you send a multichannel pcm (5.1 via hdmi from a ps3, let's say), the umc will lock onto "all stereo", which in fact it's truly a 5.1/correct decode you're hearing.

--if you send a stereo pcm signal, stereo mode will indeed play stereo. "all stereo" will spread the signal around to all speakers-similar to 5 channel stereo on some other receivers.

--xbox via hdmi sending dolby digital makes the umc say 'dolby digital'- weird because it NEVER says that for the ps3 regardless of what mode i'm in;bitstream or multipcm.

i though there was a problem with the ps3, because i have seen the words 'dolby digital' on the umc before. it even says dolby digital for the sat box (fed optical-trust me, it's just easier)

direct mode, IICR, is intended for stereo sources (although you lose bass management. with stereo mode, you get eq changes and bass management), and i'm not sure how the receiver behaves, or if you can even switch to direct with multichannel sources.

about your question regarding the umc "in the middle", i'm not exactly sure what you'd be gaining with that kind of setup. it may do more harm than good. introducing yet another prepro or av receiver will add another round of potential sound colorations/characteristics that may not be favorable. trying to figure out the volume on the umc to mimic a continuos signal flow is like trying to figure out how loud to turn up an ipod running into a stereo through the ipods headphone outputs, because there is no 'line out'. it's just not the right way to do it, but i guess it "works" in the end. i'm sure eventually you'd get some sound

Last edited by cbaseuser; 10-07-2014 at 08:47 AM.
post #560 of 570 Old 10-07-2014, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^
What mode the UMC-200 uses depends on what the user selects. See this post.

Markus

post #561 of 570 Old 10-07-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaseuser View Post
all stereo, as others have said, should be called 'all channel'.

--if you send a multichannel pcm (5.1 via hdmi from a ps3, let's say), the umc will lock onto "all stereo", which in fact it's truly a 5.1/correct decode you're hearing.

--if you send a stereo pcm signal, stereo mode will indeed play stereo. "all stereo" will spread the signal around to all speakers-similar to 5 channel stereo on some other receivers.

--xbox via hdmi sending dolby digital makes the umc say 'dolby digital'- weird because it NEVER says that for the ps3 regardless of what mode i'm in;bitstream or multipcm.

i though there was a problem with the ps3, because i have seen the words 'dolby digital' on the umc before. it even says dolby digital for the sat box (fed optical-trust me, it's just easier)

direct mode, IICR, is intended for stereo sources (although you lose bass management. with stereo mode, you get eq changes and bass management), and i'm not sure how the receiver behaves, or if you can even switch to direct with multichannel sources.

about your question regarding the umc "in the middle", i'm not exactly sure what you'd be gaining with that kind of setup. it may do more harm than good. introducing yet another prepro or av receiver will add another round of potential sound colorations/characteristics that may not be favorable. trying to figure out the volume on the umc to mimic a continuos signal flow is like trying to figure out how loud to turn up an ipod running into a stereo through the ipods headphone outputs, because there is no 'line out'. it's just not the right way to do it, but i guess it "works" in the end. i'm sure eventually you'd get some sound
Sorry if I wasn't clear. What I was trying to say about "in the middle" is that I currently have a SACD player connected to my receiver and control the volume through the receiver. The receiver can only be in direct mode when using Pre-Inputs, it doesn't process the signal or perform any LFE or sub crossover but it will change the volume. The UMC will be able to perform any or all processing from HDMI signals that are then output direct to my receivers amps. Both the UMC and receiver will be able to change the volume. Which is best? Is there really a difference which device is changing the volume?

An example: my Fios box outputs both a variable or fixed volume level. I hate the way that Fios changes the volume and have put it on fixed and control the volume directly through the TV (or receiver, and turn down the tv).

Thanks for the All Stereo explanation I think I got it.
post #562 of 570 Old 10-07-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
^
What mode the UMC-200 uses depends on what the user selects. See this post.
Thanks Markus I had seen that post and I think I have a clearer idea of whats going on now.

One question though, the diagram at this post "Official" Emotiva UMC-200 Thread
is a bit confusing. Both Direct modes, 2 Channel and Multichannel PCM, are yellow labelled which I assumed meant that they were in error but am not sure why. Also is Bitstream handled the same as PCM?
post #563 of 570 Old 10-07-2014, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Markus I had seen that post and I think I have a clearer idea of whats going on now.

One question though, the diagram at this post "Official" Emotiva UMC-200 Thread
is a bit confusing. Both Direct modes, 2 Channel and Multichannel PCM, are yellow labelled which I assumed meant that they were in error but am not sure why. Also is Bitstream handled the same as PCM?
If you have bass management enabled then the high pass filter for anh speaker set to small is still engaged. Direct mode should disable that filter and send a full bandwidth signal to the speakers just like it does for analog signals.

Markus

post #564 of 570 Old 10-08-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
If you have bass management enabled then the high pass filter for anh speaker set to small is still engaged. Direct mode should disable that filter and send a full bandwidth signal to the speakers just like it does for analog signals.
Looking back at the diagram, I see what you are saying: it's not a true direct mode. I have to set my speakers at 80mhz all around and as long as the low freqs are passed to the sub, great.

I was able to get the cable box and Bluray player hooked up and did a couple of simple tweaks. It sounded great. DTS HD Master audio was very good, much better than the DTS playback I had before.

I had to set the audio on the UMC at 70 in order to get to the playback level I was used to. I will leave it there and use the receiver volume control to make changes.

I probably won't have time to do any more set up until Saturday.

Last edited by J__Chris; 10-08-2014 at 11:46 AM.
post #565 of 570 Old 10-08-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Looking back at the diagram, I see what you are saying: it's not a true direct mode. I have to set my speakers at 80mhz all around and as long as the low freqs are passed to the sub, great.
80 MHz? Holy crap, you must have amazing hearing!

post #566 of 570 Old 10-08-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Just got my new UMC-200 all set up and ran EmoQ2. It gave me some really funky settings. It's running my DTS-10 at +6.5 dB. What's up with that? And it's boosted everything down low, set my mains to large and crossed the sub at 200 hz. Plus I'm getting the usual phase notice.

Honestly, I kind of like it. My last AVR with AudysseyXT made my system sound pretty neutered. Now it sounds much more dynamic.

I've got to buy a couple of things first so I can get REW up and running. When I do, I'll monkey around with that and see what REW says.

post #567 of 570 Old 10-08-2014, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked: 1074
Quote:
Just got my new UMC-200 all set up and ran EmoQ2. It gave me some really funky settings. It's running my DTS-10 at +6.5 dB. What's up with that? And it's boosted everything down low, set my mains to large and crossed the sub at 200 hz. Plus I'm getting the usual phase notice.

Honestly, I kind of like it. My last AVR with AudysseyXT made my system sound pretty neutered. Now it sounds much more dynamic.

I've got to buy a couple of things first so I can get REW up and running. When I do, I'll monkey around with that and see what REW says.
I just ignored emo. Manually set to what you like for xo and distance . Take measurement and use manual peq. I find the emo awesome with my peq settings . So so with emo-q .
post #568 of 570 Old 10-08-2014, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

It seems most of the folks aren't all that thrilled with EmoQ. I might just have one of those weird rooms that it works well in. Either that or I like screwed up sound, take your pick!

post #569 of 570 Old 10-09-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Found the issue. The firmware was way out of date. I'm kind of surprised Emotiva shipped it with old firmware.

Did all that and ran EmoQ2. Instead of running my sub at +6.5 dB it's running it at 0 dB's. But if anything, it sounds even louder. Way too much bass. I brought it back to -6.0 dB and it seems to have tamed it a lot.

Good news is no more audio dropout issues.

Edit: Scratch that. I'm still getting some audio dropout. It's pissing me off!

Last edited by flyng_fool; 10-09-2014 at 11:51 AM.
post #570 of 570 Old 10-17-2014, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

All issues are fixed. Apparently HDMI #1 can be problematic with blu rays. Also, I had a highly reflective surface right above the mic. Moved it forward a foot and reran EmoQ. Much, much better. Bass is still a tad hot, but it's now manageable through the menu.

I used to think my room was awful acoustically. It turns out that's not really the case. I had no bass mgt before and there must have been a huge suckout in the most visceral portion of the bass spectrum. Now it has so much more depth and authority than it used to. It is so much more enjoyable to watch movies with my system now.

I'm in hog heaven!

Last edited by flyng_fool; 10-17-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva Umc 200 7 1 Home Theater Preamp Surround Processor , Onkyo Tx Nr3008 9 2 Channel Network Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver
Gear in this thread - 2312ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page