"Official" Emotiva UMC-200 Thread - Page 23 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #661 of 675 Old 01-18-2015, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
Room size has nothing to do with Atmos. Important is the angle of incidence at which audio hits the ears.
Okay. That still doesn't change my mind.

My room gives me the performance I need. I don't need to upgrade to Atmos. Perhaps some of the quirks of my room have made it better, or at least different. I love the way my room sounds, and I've hosted many with exponentially more expensive systems where they've spent tons of time & money calculating and treating their rooms. They've been blown away by the performance of my room.

A quick explanation of my quirks. My surrounds are all dipoles. The surround channels are mounted on the ceiling because of floor to ceiling windows on one wall (of course covered with thick blackout curtains for viewing). The surround back channels are on the back wall. The combination of angles from those four speakers give an amazing surround effect without losing localization, I'm guessing because of the shorter distance to the speakers themselves.

The result is a very rich surround field that performs above its pay grade. Perhaps it's because of this that Atmos is such a "meh" technology for me. I don't know. But I don't need Atmos.

Have a great day!

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 675 Old 01-18-2015, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 75
So you have tested Atmos in you room and decided it was not an improvement even with your 7.1 channels?

Not much good Atmos content available yet so this comparison is tricky to do right now.
post #663 of 675 Old 01-18-2015, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
So you have tested Atmos in you room and decided it was not an improvement even with your 7.1 channels?

Not much good Atmos content available yet so this comparison is tricky to do right now.
Nope. But every Atmos demo (3) I've heard has not impressed me enough over the sound in my own home. These have been in a friend's home theater and two showrooms, all 3 with price tags well above my own. None have wowed me enough to bother trying it in my room.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #664 of 675 Old 01-18-2015, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
Nope. But every Atmos demo (3) I've heard has not impressed me enough over the sound in my own home. These have been in a friend's home theater and two showrooms, all 3 with price tags well above my own. None have wowed me enough to bother trying it in my room.
Ok. I just wanted to verify. A lot of people that have no interest in Atmos have never heard the a/b comparison in their own room. So really they have no idea if it would be an improvement or not.
post #665 of 675 Old 01-18-2015, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
I am not that impressed with it either. There are a few Theaters near me that play the newest movies in Atmos. They sound good but I am not blown away by it even in a big theater.

I would predict it becomes a niche product because only those who want the latest and greatest or purchase a product with it included will be updating, maybe. I don't have a huge room and feel no need to buy a new receiver, pre-amp, and speakers, maybe another amp for the extra speakers, and a Blu-ray player. I think most people are tired of the endless upgrades and I am the biggest audiophile I know among all my friends, family and co-workers.
thrillcat likes this.
post #666 of 675 Old 01-18-2015, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J__Chris View Post
feel no need to buy a new receiver, pre-amp, and speakers, maybe another amp for the extra speakers, and a Blu-ray player.
I'm not trying to convince anyone here, but want to add clarity.

You only need either a new Atmos enabled AVR or pre-amp processor (those serve the same purpose). No new speakers although they add to the experience. And no new Blu-ray player. They one you have should be just fine.

One day probably in 2-3 years all AVR equipment will natively support and decode Atmos and DTS:X. Just like today everything can decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD.
post #667 of 675 Old 01-20-2015, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone here have any thoughts - informed or otherwise - on the Fusion 8100? I've been all over the AVS and the Emotiva boards and there's lots of speculation that it's the exact same machine as the UMC-200, with an additional amp. From what I've been able to gather from the manuals and user comments it seems to have the same feature set.

My questions are:
  1. Do you think it has the same defects/limitations that Markus has uncovered (my guess is yes)?
  2. Do you think it sounds any worse than the UMC-200 for music and movies?

I'm trying to figure out a reason why not to get the Fusion (at $100 cheaper plus an amp in case I need one) instead of the UMC-200.

As I say, all reasoned opinions, informed or otherwise, welcome.

Thanks.
post #668 of 675 Old 01-20-2015, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyrelx View Post
Does anyone here have any thoughts - informed or otherwise - on the Fusion 8100? I've been all over the AVS and the Emotiva boards and there's lots of speculation that it's the exact same machine as the UMC-200, with an additional amp. From what I've been able to gather from the manuals and user comments it seems to have the same feature set.

My questions are:
  1. Do you think it has the same defects/limitations that Markus has uncovered (my guess is yes)?
  2. Do you think it sounds any worse than the UMC-200 for music and movies?

I'm trying to figure out a reason why not to get the Fusion (at $100 cheaper plus an amp in case I need one) instead of the UMC-200.

As I say, all reasoned opinions, informed or otherwise, welcome.

Thanks.
1) My guess is yes.
2) My guess is no.
post #669 of 675 Old 01-20-2015, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1388 Post(s)
Liked: 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
^
Why would someone with an interest in multichannel reproduction have no interest in Atmos?
Cuz its a marketing hype to sell more speakers and amp channels. Still have 5.4 and have heard several 7.1 systems and the surround was not noticeably better. I want ambience from my surrounds without taking my attention from watching the show.

I see it no different then 3d tv. Its not the experience I want. Some love it and that's fine for them. Dolby can put on a cool demo with a couple of movies. Not spending 1k to get 5 minutes of sound effects from less then 10% of material I watch .
thrillcat likes this.
post #670 of 675 Old 01-21-2015, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
Still have 5.4 and have heard several 7.1 systems and the surround was not noticeably better. I want ambience from my surrounds without taking my attention from watching the show.
So you haven't heard Atmos?
"Better ambience" is exacly what Atmos or object based audio in general can deliver. How the technology is used is up to the re-recording mixer. But that has also been the case for 5.1/7.1

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #671 of 675 Old 01-21-2015, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
1) My guess is yes.
2) My guess is no.
Thanks.
post #672 of 675 Old 01-22-2015, 04:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:
But if I choose to use All Stereo mode is there a way to configure it to not play my center?
If you want a mode that lights up everything but the center, try PLII Music, and set the Center Width to maximum. If the surrounds are not strong enough, turn on Panorama.

Quote:
From what I've read and feature set, I like the UMC-200 a bit better than the Outlaw, and there are still a few UMC-200's left on Amazon, which is where I intend to go next
The feature set is only better if those are features you want to use. One example, the UMC-200 has PEQ, the 975 does not have any EQ. But you are adding external EQ, so maybe not a factor? Are there "must have" features missing from the 975? Just curious.

Deadwood Atmos theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs

Last edited by Roger Dressler; 01-22-2015 at 04:06 AM.
post #673 of 675 Old 01-22-2015, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
The feature set is only better if those are features you want to use. One example, the UMC-200 has PEQ, the 975 does not have any EQ. But you are adding external EQ, so maybe not a factor? Are there "must have" features missing from the 975? Just curious.
Thanks for the response. My feature sets are along the lines referenced in my questions:

1. I’d like to play music (from Oppo or HTPC) out of my two fronts (set to large) without using the sub or having bass management engaged.

2. I’d also like the option of playing music out of my two fronts and my sub, with bass management engaged. If I do that, could I do this with my fronts set to large (sometimes called “enhanced bass) or would I have to set them to small?

3. I’d also like the option of playing music out of all my speakers (5.1) with bass management engaged. This is sometimes called “party” mode or something similar. If so, would there be a way to turn off the center for that configuration – i.e., just play from the 2 fronts and 2 sides and the sub? Likewise, would there be a way to also turn off the sub, so just the 2 fronts and 2 sides are playing w/o the sub?

It’s unclear to me from what I’ve been able to see online if the Outlaw will do all the above, aside from #1 (or, will do the above any more or user friendly than the Emotiva). Do you know?

Also, the Emotiva gives the flexibility of a room correction system which I’d like to play around with.

As perhaps you allude to, I’ve been thinkng of adding a DSP 88A which might make the Emotiva’s room correction redundant (or more accurately give more options than I’d likely use). But that’s another thousand dollars and an additional learning curve, so may take some time.

The Outlaw does have a bass/treble function, which I might like to have, by itself or if and when the 88A is hooked up, since it allows an “on the fly” bass/treble change that I’m not sure the Emotiva can replicate. But other than that, I’m not sure what the Outlaw has that the Emotiva doesn’t (I’ve no need for analogue video connections).
post #674 of 675 Unread Today, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
New install w/ latest firmware. Some Q's

Couple of questions:
1. How do I view decoding mode w/o OSD?
2. With CEC enabled, how can I listen to audio sources w/o the TV on? If I turn off the TV, the UMC-200 also turns off.
3. How can I establish a default decoding mode for each source? How about an initial volume setting? Squeezebox should be stereo, Bluray should be "all stereo", and HDMI-Arc (Netflix, PS4, OTA) should probably be "all stereo", too.
4. If I use the HDMI-Arc input, I can't easily view any settings. I.e., selecting menu won't display anything. Any work-arounds?
5. Any way to add a SPDIF digital output?

Thanks,

Rob
post #675 of 675 Unread Today, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by weinstro View Post
Couple of questions:
1. How do I view decoding mode w/o OSD?
2. With CEC enabled, how can I listen to audio sources w/o the TV on? If I turn off the TV, the UMC-200 also turns off.
3. How can I establish a default decoding mode for each source? How about an initial volume setting? Squeezebox should be stereo, Bluray should be "all stereo", and HDMI-Arc (Netflix, PS4, OTA) should probably be "all stereo", too.
4. If I use the HDMI-Arc input, I can't easily view any settings. I.e., selecting menu won't display anything. Any work-arounds?
5. Any way to add a SPDIF digital output?

Thanks,

Rob
1. The decoding mode is always shown on the front panel display.
2. Some CEC devices allow power control to be switched off. Depends on your device. Read its manual.
3. The UMC-200 doesn't support a user defined initial volume value.
Establishing a default decoding mode per source doesn't make sense because each source can send several different signal types. Set default playback mode for the different signal types instead: "Official" Emotiva UMC-200 Thread
4. The signal doesn't go through the AVR so no OSD can be displayed.
5. There are no S/PDIF outputs.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva Umc 200 7 1 Home Theater Preamp Surround Processor , Onkyo Tx Nr3008 9 2 Channel Network Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page