Harman/Kardon vs Marantz - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-20-2013, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi All,

What do you guys think of the new Harman/Kardon AVR 3700 and Marantz SR 6008? Anyone bought either one of them? Any "yays" or "nays"??

I am looking into replace my Yamaha, and have narrowed down my choices to the HK and Marantz. I used to have an H/K AVR 354 back a few years ago. It sounded phenomenal. Though, the interface could use some update but the sound made up to that issue. It was a 5.1 system but, I think, it sounded better than my current Yamaha, which is a 7.2, though only running it as a 7.1. The only problem with HK that I used to have was its reliability. Its HDMI board burnt out within 5 years of normal/minimal usage. Kind of sucked because it was the upper line unit.

How is the reliability of the new HKs? How about the new Marantz?

I use my AVR for movie watching, and mainly for Xbox 360 and/or PS3. The price is not an issue in these two system. I can get both of these system for around the same price, may be within 50 dollars difference.

I know some of the folks will suggest Denon and or Onkyo, but I am not a fan of either one. Denon had some duds in the past, and Onkyo didnt impress me much. I used to own Onkyo that was replaced by HK.

Also, I know I posted a similar question a while ago too. But that was a while ago, and both HK and Marantz have launched quite a few model since then. smile.gif

Thank you all in advance for your feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-20-2013, 10:21 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
For impressions on the Marantz 6008, you would be better served posting in the owner's thread linked below ...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1482248/the-official-marantz-sr5008-sr6008-and-sr7008-av-receiver-owners-thread/0_100

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 8 Old 09-20-2013, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 316
A quick glance through their manuals located these notable differences:

In a 7.1 configuration, the Marantz receiver includes support for wide-surround speakers in addition to front-height and rear-surround. The HK receiver supports only front-height and rear-surround. In both of them you can select only one of those configurations at a time, not all at once since they both contain only 7 amplifiers, not 9 or 11.

HK's proprietary room EQ uses only one microphone position at the main listening position.
Marantz uses Audyssey room EQ, which averages over several microphone positions to try to improve the sound over a larger area.

Sorry: I can't comment on relative reliability from personal experience. FWIW, I've never had electronics failures in my Marantz equipment, but I've never had any HK equipment. Do bear in mind that Denon and Marantz receivers use identical digital circuit boards in equivalent models. Their analog circuits and physical equipment designs are their primary differentiators these days.

When purchasing Marantz equipment, don't forget to contact an authorized dealer on the phone to get the best price quote. They're only allowed to publish list prices, but actually can sell equipment at much lower prices. Marantz will only honor their warranty if you purchase from an authorized dealer. However, many people have found Square Trade's warranties to be cost effective.

Selden
post #4 of 8 Old 09-22-2013, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Selden Ball. You wont happen to know roughly how low an authorized dealer is allowed to go in the price, will you? 10 - 15%?
I have never used any of Marantz or Denon product, how is their warranty claim service, in case ever needed?

Thanks in advance.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-22-2013, 08:00 PM

Liked: 33
I replaced a Pioneer Elite SC-35 with a HK AVR3700. The sound on the HK was much cleaner but the Elite had more "oomph". I have never had a Marantz receiver but that will probably be my next purchase. I change receivers quite often. The HK is a fantastic unit though.

Oppo BDP103, Mitsubishi WD8240, Klipsch RF-63's, Pioneer Elite SC-25, Furman Elite 15, Emotiva XPA-5, Harmony 1100, Rythmik FV15HP

post #6 of 8 Old 09-23-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 316
mr_raja,

The amount of discount will depend on the reseller's overhead costs (staff salaries, building rental, etc). 15% or more certainly would be a reasonable expectation, though, I think. I've always purchased from local resellers, myself, but if you're comfortable doing mail order business and are located in the U.S., AVS is an authorized dealer and has several part-time sales-people who are frequent contributors to the forum. For example, jdsmoothiie is on the East Coast (Florida). See http://avscience.com/

The one experience I've had with Marantz was relatively painless, but it also was within the first couple of weeks of my ownership of an NR-1501 some years ago. I contacted Marantz to report a firmware-related problem and gave their response (and the receiver) to my local dealer to take care of. This was before firmware updates over the Internet became so prevalent.

Selden
post #7 of 8 Old 09-23-2013, 11:38 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_raja View Post

I use my AVR for movie watching, and mainly for Xbox 360 and/or PS3. The price is not an issue in these two system. I can get both of these system for around the same price, may be within 50 dollars difference.

I own a HK 3700 and have been testing the Marantz 5008 for 2 days. I think the comparison is still relevant to you since the specs of the 5008 and 6008 are so close (so much that I would not justify 100$ of difference, and presently the price gap is wider than that...).
Give your intended usage I'd suggest the Marantz. As much as I love the sound of the HK for music (whose signature, still unchanged with years, is probably due to the Cirrus Logic DAC) I think for movies the Marantz and likely any other receiver equipped with at least Audyssey MultiEQ XT is superior. I had also Onkyo and Denon receiver in the past, I prefer HK for music and that is why I have one now: I think the sound is more distinctive than the rest and, at least for me, more "vintage", with a very warm and non-fatiguing delivery. A friend of mine with good ears thinks it colors the sound, and I do not entirely disagree. I just happen to like the results.
One word of note is that in multichannel the power of the HK drops tremendously: I read a test of a German magazine and it turned out just 37W in 5.1 configuration, 6 Ohm. Pretty lame, however the real world listening results are better, in my opinion, but clearly the Marantz 5008 feels more powerful and the Onkyo 929 I briefly owned felt a lot more powerful.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-23-2013, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Rispoli >> Thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for. Someone who had experience with both. I have tried Sony, LG, H/K, Onkyo and Yamaha, and H/K out performed all of them, hands down. I was a fan of the design of the AVR. it was simple, yet had a character to it (Yeah, I know, some might call me crazy, but what can you do? smile.gif ) I was really bummed when its HDMI board decided to bail out on me. Currently, I am using a Yamaha receiver. Not a bad receiver, but, even with 7.1, it feels like there is something missing. My 5.1 H/K had more fuller sound. With the exact same speakers. I think I will give Marantz a chance this time. cool.gif

Selden Ball >> Thank you for your feedback. I will look jdsmoothiie up for the Marantz receiver. As soon as I can find a buyer for my Yamaha.

On that note... anyone looking for a Yamaha?? If you are not as picky about sound as I am, its still in super awesome condition... didnt even remove the "features" sticker from the front. biggrin.gif
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz , Harmon Kardon

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page