Any diy amp guys out there? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-20-2013, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I was thinking about trying my skills out at building my own amp. Have a nice toroidal transformer laying around. The primary purpose would be subwoofer amplification. The transformer is out of an existing high end sub amp that failed. I have other various parts from it as well that can be used. Capacitors, wires, relays, etc.

Anyways here is a pic of the transformer I have. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great.
IMG_20130920_152706_502_zps06979ebf.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-20-2013, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Most subwoofer amps are class D, not an easy design from scratch job for a novice. How technical are you, what is your background, what equipment do you have?

There are a number of amp kits available if you want to go that route.

You would probably get much better response in the DIY subforum on this site.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #3 of 3 Old 09-21-2013, 03:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormwind13 View Post

I was thinking about trying my skills out at building my own amp. Have a nice toroidal transformer laying around. The primary purpose would be subwoofer amplification. The transformer is out of an existing high end sub amp that failed. I have other various parts from it as well that can be used. Capacitors, wires, relays, etc.

Anyways here is a pic of the transformer I have. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great.
IMG_20130920_152706_502_zps06979ebf.jpg

That power transformer is probably not designed for building power amps. I see a secondary of 95 volts center tapped, which when rectified is about 130 volts DC. Given that you are going to drive 2, 4, or 8 ohm speakers you are talking a very high powered amp - up in the kilowatts.

I would not recommend building a extremely powerful amp for your first time out. That's like wanting to build a steam engine and building a nuclear power plant for your first project,

Small cheap mistakes with low powered amps turn into massively expensive mistakes that may hurt you or even kill you with high powered amps. A power amp built with the power transformer above will contain lethal voltages, no doubt.

There are articles on the web about building your own power amp. This one is highly detailed and a classic:

http://users.ece.gatech.edu/mleach/lowtim/
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page