Best amp for a 80 square meter room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-20-2013, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I am a newbie looking to acquire an av receiver + 5.1 speakers (ill open a thread in the speakers subforum for that) to be installed in a huge 80 squae meter room (870 square feet).
As a reference, ceilings are high and would average 3m high (it is a dormer window with max 5m in the middle and lowest of 2m at the front and back)

I was looking at the Onkyo 616 and 626 and was wondering which one would be better and if they would have enough power for such a room or if the important component for enough power are the speakers.

I was aiming to spend c. 1000 pounds in receiver + speakers but will spend more if necessary to have a good sound quality.

Many thanks,

Pablo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-21-2013, 02:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 1051
Quote:
Originally Posted by paramio View Post

Hi,

I am a newbie looking to acquire an av receiver + 5.1 speakers (ill open a thread in the speakers subforum for that) to be installed in a huge 80 squae meter room (870 square feet).

I was looking at the Onkyo 616 and 626 and was wondering which one would be better and if they would have enough power for such a room or if the important component for enough power are the speakers.

I was aiming to spend c. 1000 pounds in receiver + speakers but will spend more if necessary to have a good sound quality.

Many thanks,

Pablo

A room that is around 27 x 27 or 9 meters by 9 meters is more of a small auditorium than a listening room.

Tell us more about your plans for using this room. Music? Movies?
post #3 of 5 Old 09-21-2013, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter

I currently have installed a projector + 120" screen and would use it 90% movies + 10% music,.

Current sound system there is a JVC all in one 5.1 system with which you really struggle to hear anything clearly given the size of the room.
Couch is placed c. 5-6 meters away from the screen.

Which AV receiver and what power do you think would be the minimum for a decent quality? or is it the speakers the ones I should really focus on?

Thanks again
post #4 of 5 Old 09-21-2013, 02:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 1051
Quote:
Originally Posted by paramio View Post

I currently have installed a projector + 120" screen and would use it 90% movies + 10% music,.

Current sound system there is a JVC all in one 5.1 system with which you really struggle to hear anything clearly given the size of the room.
Couch is placed c. 5-6 meters away from the screen.

Which AV receiver and what power do you think would be the minimum for a decent quality? or is it the speakers the ones I should really focus on?

Focus on the speakers. To a point, high efficiency is a more economical route to follow than high powered amplifiers.

Is the room furnished or mostly empty? Carpeted?

AV receivers generally average around 100 wpc, and none have what I'd call real high power, such as 1000 wpc. If you want to hedge your bets, get an AVR with preamp outputs that can drive external amplifiers directly. But, you'll pay to get that feature - probably more than $500 for just the receiver. Similarly, your speakers are not going to be cheapies - probably $300 or more each. Thinking about going the full 5.1 route with a subwoofer? Get out your checkbook!
post #5 of 5 Old 09-22-2013, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Focus on the speakers. To a point, high efficiency is a more economical route to follow than high powered amplifiers.

Is the room furnished or mostly empty? Carpeted?

AV receivers generally average around 100 wpc, and none have what I'd call real high power, such as 1000 wpc. If you want to hedge your bets, get an AVR with preamp outputs that can drive external amplifiers directly. But, you'll pay to get that feature - probably more than $500 for just the receiver. Similarly, your speakers are not going to be cheapies - probably $300 or more each. Thinking about going the full 5.1 route with a subwoofer? Get out your checkbook!

Thanks for the advice

Room is mostly empty (pictures and bookshelves) and not carpeted (does this affect a lot?)

I was hoping to spend 1500$ but can go up if necessary.

wOULD AN oNKYO nr616 + 4 BW 686 + 1 HTM-62 + 1 ASW-608 (b&w speakers + sub) work decently for this room?

I am really not looking for high playing volume but for clean audio (maybe I should work on the room aoustics as well)
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr616 , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page