AVR with 8 or more HDMI inputs that won't break the bank? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-23-2013, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm potentially looking for an AVR to replace my Onkyo 609 - that has 8 or more HDMI inputs, is 7.1 and:

a) won't break the bank (less than $1000 would be good anything over breaks my bank) ;-)
b) isn't much taller than my 609 as I have limited height on my stand

Any suggestions? It seems as soon as you get to 8 or 9 hdmi inputs the AVR's all jump up a LOT in price - and/or - in height (usually by over an inch which would not work in my non-adjustable stand).

I'm most likely going to be getting both and Xbox One and PS4 when released which will make my HDMI components list look like this:

WiiU
Xbox 360
PS3
Xbox One
PS4
HD-DVD
Blu Ray player
Cable box

TV is a Samsung F8000 55".

I suppose I could just remove my old Toshiba A35 HD-DVD from the mix but I hate to as it's still nice unit and I like to watch Planet Earth on it (and is currently not using an HDMI input on my AVR since it only has 5).

Or should I consider some sort of HDMI splitter that I can run all the gaming consoles into prior to running into one input on my current AVR?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Bill

~Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-08-2013, 04:32 AM

Liked: 31
Not being a gamer any more (my run started with Commodore 64 and ended with PS1), I don't get why you need two different X-box and PS3 / PS4. Don't they make those backwards compatible these days?

post #3 of 7 Old 10-08-2013, 05:11 AM

Liked: 10
Billken, I'm looking for something similar, right now I'm leaning towards the Sony STR-DN1040. It's roughly $600 and has been getting decent reviews. It has 8 HDMI inputs and 2 HD component video inputs which I need for a Wii. I may also use the component inputs for my satellite receiver if it causes me grief via HDMI. I've seen some posts that claim using DPLIIx front-wide speakers enhances the gaming experience as well --- may want to add that to your list if you're interested.

AAronh, unfortunately the PS4 isn't backward-compatible with the PS3...not sure about XBox though.

Crisp'n'Clean
post #4 of 7 Old 10-08-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Eight is a lot. I would pick an AVR in your price range and include margin for an HDMI switch box from Monoprice, Part Express, etc. But, it sounds like you've found one anyway. I was disappointed with my last Sony (room correction and power were not up to snuff) but that was several years ago so they may have improved.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #5 of 7 Old 10-08-2013, 05:46 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked: 1509
Although simply adding an HDMI switch would open up more options for you, several models that would meet your 8 HDMI input minimum without breaking the bank would include:

Sony DN1040
Yamaha RX830
Yamaha RX1030

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?seq=1&format=2&p_id=8463&CAWELAID=1329456936&catargetid=320013720000010715&cadevice=c&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CPy2vZPDiLoCFevm7Aodn1QANQ

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #6 of 7 Old 10-09-2013, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

... I was disappointed with my last Sony (room correction and power were not up to snuff) but that was several years ago so they may have improved.

Yeah, I wouldn't have normally considered Sony either, however the STR-DN1040 has several decent reviews:
What HiFi Review
Audioholics Review
Sound & Vision Review

The power ratings are respectable as well [from the S&V Review]:
2 channel/8 ohm/0.1% distortion 122.6 watts
5 channel/8 ohm/0.1% distortion 76.3 watts
7 channel/8 ohm/0.1% distortion 65.3 watts

...much better than some other similarly priced receivers and it even beats a few more expensive receivers such as the Yamaha RX-A1020 and Anthem MRX300.

Not sure how good the room correction is though.

Crisp'N'Clean
post #7 of 7 Old 11-25-2013, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Why do you need to upgrade you should still have plenty of ports. Run your cable box through the Xbox One, and run that wii and hd dvd to an input on your tv and use one of the optical ports for those from the tv to the receiver...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr609 7 2 Channel Network Thx Certified A V Receiver
Gear in this thread - Nr609 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page