Ended up with a Denon X4000 and an Onkyo 5010, which should I keep? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-23-2013, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ok, so it has been about 60 days and today I received a 5010 as a replacement. They said they could not get the parts to repair the 5008 and had no refurbished 5008s or I guess, 5009s available. Not sure what to do with it, I have already bought a Denon X4000 to replace the 5008 as I only have and will ever have a 6.2 setup. The 5010 looks totally new, box was not re-taped and the entire packing looks factory. I like the Denon as it is half the weight and better handles toggling between HDMI stereo to the TV and full surround with the AVR amps. I use headphones from the TV a lot in the evening. The 5008 would do the pass-through with the power off but it was slower and more disruptive when switching to another device. The Denon powers on and switches to the other input, you can then turn it off again or toggle the HDMI audio mode. The Denon also doesn’t seem to reset the HDMI connection when you switch from HDMI TV or AVR audio modes. The audio just quickly toggles but the 5008 just ignores the input change from the remote if it’s off, you must turn it on and then change the input and both audio and picture go out and flicker like you turned everything off then on again. Not a big deal in the end but it was nice to see the HDMI TV/AVR audio switching handled a little better. The html interface is nice too.

Anyone got any good reasons to keep one over the other?

Will the 5010 handle the HDMI audio better/differently than the 5008?

Will its HDMI board die a slow death in a year like the 5008?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-23-2013, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It sounds like you gave many reasons to keep the X4000

If it was my choice, I prefer Denon over Onkyo....

Shelly
post #3 of 5 Old 09-23-2013, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Well, the X4000 has some bugs. The TV has been all snow a few times when turning it on and yesterday for the first time it had all static in the headphones on the main TV until I turned on the office TV. The 5008 never did this but it did die. frown.gif The Denon has a new 3 year warranty but will Denon ever fix these types of issues? The Onkyo is a one time warranty replacement and unless it dies within 30days (I think) I have no warranty but the Onkyo HDMI board takes a year or two to die. Maybe Onkyo finally fixed the poor quality/design on the HDMI boards. Has the 5010 been out long enough to know?

There is a lot of work in swapping them out in my setup so like I said in the post above: I was just wondering if there were some good reasons to keep the 5010 over the X4000? Will the 5010 handle the HDMI audio to the TV better/differently than the 5008? Will its HDMI board die a slow death in a year?

I don’t know all the ins and outs but I do like the fact that the Denon is smaller (20-ish pounds lighter) and easier to move/ship when needed. I also like the slightly better HDMI TV/AVR audio switching. The 5010 may have improved the HDMI TV/AVR audio switching and with more power may sound a little better. I think they both have the newer Audyssey setup with dual subs. What’s the remote configuration on the 5010 like better worse than the X4000? Etc…

Also, I can still return the X4000 for a full refund and not have to try and sell anything but I gots to do it this week.eek.gif
post #4 of 5 Old 09-23-2013, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post

No one knows yet if the 5010's HDMI board will crap out (they just haven't been in the wild long enough for those failures to start occurring), but if it were me it'd be a no-brainier. I'd keep the 5010 (which is a $3000 receiver I got for the cost of a 5008) and return the X4000 (which is a $1300 receiver that I got for the cost of a 5008 plus $1300). If the 5010 dies down the line, go buy a replacement at that point. You'd be out no more than you are if you keep the Denon you have right now.

That is the way I’m headed. Just wondering if there was a great reason to keep one over the other specs wise. Most of the extra cost in the 5010 I think, is a little more power and to more powered channels. Also, I can still return the X4000 for a full refund and not have to try and sell anything but I gots to do it this week.

Also, if the 5010 is really worth so much more I could sell it and pay for the X4000 and have a good start on its future replacement.

Looking around for a X4000 vs. 5010 review but I guess they run in different circles.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-25-2013, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Made the switch last night but there are some THINGS about the Onkyo 5010. A night of terror.

Almost too big and heavy. I think I hurt my back. I did know that going from having had the 5008.

PC and phone can’t find it to play music like the Denon could. Could just go to the music app and select the Denon and hit play. It was kinda cool and thought the 5010 would do this too. Is this not part of the DLNA cert???

Setup menus are only on the main TV, in my case that is the other room. Other info menus are on both displays. ???
The Zone control toggle on the remote only toggles between Zone 2&3. You can’t just hit it a 3rd time to go back to the receiver. I know I’m old and slow but it took me like 15 minutes to figure this out. I even looked in the manual and it has a section for using the Zone button but it don’t tell you that you must hit the receiver button 6 rows down to get out of Zone control. Why not just hit the toggle a 3rd time? Red, green then clear.

The HTML page is all but useless. There are no settings or a firmware update option, just some internet radio settings and the network settings, which you can’t get to if they are not setup right. ??? Am I missing a button somewhere? The Denon HTML interface is slow but you can look at all the settings and rename inputs and so on. Onkyo really dropped the ball here.

Onkyo also has a remote control app for the phone but that is all it is. Some very basic controls. You can rename the inputs BUT IT JUST LOCAL TO THE APP. Wow, just wow.

So when you do rename the inputs you are forced to select a letter a time with the remote and when done all the setup menus still use the default names. So if you go back in later to change something involving an input you can’t find the one you are used to seeing.

I know this is just stuff you’ll just mess with (most likely) once but I just don’t get why they half-assed it. I forget now but I think the Denon can even save configurations from the HTML page.

Is there a setting I’m missing to enable these things?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr5010 9 2 Channel Thx Certified Network A V Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread - Nr5010 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page