$1750 budget for AVR/separates and disc player: recommendations? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-23-2013, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a $1750 budget for a disc player and a receiver/separates that will be used for about 65-35 movies/television vs. music. My current plan is an Oppo 105 that I can get for $1099 ($100 off list) and a Marantz SR6007 receiver that I can get for $649. Any other suggestions?

These will be powering an all-Martin Logan 5.1 audio setup, with Motion 40 fronts, Motion 30 center, Dynamo 700 sub, and ML in-walls in the rear. I've got a Panasonic Viera plasma for video.

Pardons if this isn't the best forum for this type of Q.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-23-2013, 07:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 400
why do you feel you need the Oppo 105?

Afro GT
post #3 of 5 Old 09-23-2013, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

why do you feel you need the Oppo 105?

The combination of the versatility, the DAC, and the polish of the unit. I will be listening to music in multiple formats and watching video, and want something that can handle all the digital and disc-based media I can throw at, and want to use something that will maximize the quality of that media. I'll be hooking a Sonos and an HTPC up to the DAC, and running my cable box through the unit via the HDMI in, and using both the RCA outs to the AVR with the 5.1 setup and the HDMI outs (possibly direct to the TV for video). I also like the Roku stick compatibility. My worry is that I am unsure I can get the same benefits in more discrete/separate packaging for the same price (which is also the reason I opted for an AVR). However, I am very open to change, as my other concern -- which I am sure you are touching on -- is that some of what I have purchased might be overkill.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-23-2013, 09:09 PM

Liked: 21
I think you should shift resources from the player to AVR ... a good combination for your budget would be Oppo 103 and Denon AVR-X4000. The X4000 (as compared to the Marantz SR6007) gets you a little more power, the best Audyssey (XT32) room correction as well as Sub Eq and Low Frequency Control, and other features I'm not that familiar with but other people can talk about about in detail (more versatile Zone 2 and Zone 3 options, networking).

Also, if you did use the "audiophile-grade" DAC and the RCA outs of the Oppo 105, then you would most likely be re-digitizing the sound in the AVR, to take advantage of its sound processing features, and then going through the receiver DAC. So you would be adding an extra digital-analog (in the Oppo) and analog-digital (in the AVR) conversion to the signal chain. I believe this extra conversion won't do any harm to the sound quality, but won't improve sound quality either, as compared to just using the HDMI path from player to AVR.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-25-2013, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Update: I'm going to keep the Marantz, but already swapped out the Oppo BDP-105 for the BDP-103, and am returning the Sonos that I bought since the Roku Stick connected to the 103 will handle all the streaming I need. With the money I've saved overall, I'll also be able to sell the ML 700 sub (I got it for a dirt cheap $425 compared to the $700 list) and buying an HSU sub for about $549+SH. In the end, I'll even come out a couple hundred bucks ahead, with more flexibility and better sound.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Marantz Sr6007 Home Theater Av Receiver , Martinlogan Motion 40 Gloss White Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Martinlogan Motion 40 Gloss Black Cherrywood Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Martinlogan Motion 30 Gloss Black Center Channel Loudspeaker , Martinlogan Dynamo 700 10 Inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer Single Black , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Roku Streaming Player
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page