Yamaha RX-V473 question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-24-2013, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Is it possible to run my TV through the receiver and watch TV while listening to music through the receiver at the same time?  TV is connected through HDMI via the cable box and music comes through either Sonos (through an AV port) or Apple TV (through another HDMI)

I'd like to be able to have a game on the TV but have music playing while the TV is on mute but I can't get the TV to keep on the show if I switch the input on the receiver to where my music comes from.

I'm sure there's an easy solution

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-24-2013, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Don't think it's possible, at least if you're routing the tv through the avr.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-24-2013, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks.  Unfortunately that's what I'm doing.  If I run the cable box directly into the TV I can but then no good sound.  Guess a choice must be made for one or the other

post #4 of 8 Old 09-24-2013, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Actually there is a way.  Quite easy actually.  Just set the audio in to be what you want from another source while in the HDMI setting for the proper video input.  Folks at Yamaha helped me out with their free 24/7 support

post #5 of 8 Old 09-24-2013, 06:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
No, the easiest way to make it work is for you to connect the cable/sat box directly to the TV via HDMI. Then connect an optical cable from the cable/sat box to the receiver for audio. Then you can switch to whatever input you want on the receiver if you want to listen to your Apple TV or Sonos.

I don't think this entry level receiver will let you listen to one HDMI input and watch another HDMI input at the same time.

Afro GT
post #6 of 8 Old 09-24-2013, 06:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhwass View Post

Actually there is a way.  Quite easy actually.  Just set the audio in to be what you want from another source while in the HDMI setting for the proper video input.  Folks at Yamaha helped me out with their free 24/7 support

So you're saying he can watch video on HDMI 1 and have the audio set to HDMI 2 for his Apple TV at the same time? I find that a little hard to believe is doable on the RX-V473 although I've been wrong before.

Afro GT
post #7 of 8 Old 09-24-2013, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

No, I cannot watch TV on one HDMI and have music come through another.  But what works for me is to watch TV through one HDMI and have the audio come through one of the AV ports.  This works perfectly for me in that I have my music coming in through Sonos into an AV port on the receiver and can listen while the video comes through on an HDMI.  I can switch the audio back and forth which accomplishes what I want.  Basically to have a game on as background while listening to music

post #8 of 8 Old 09-24-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhwass View Post

Thanks.  Unfortunately that's what I'm doing.  If I run the cable box directly into the TV I can but then no good sound.  Guess a choice must be made for one or the other

Are you running optical out of the cable box to the receiver? There is no difference in the audio from the cable box if you use HDMI or optical audio. The best audio you're gonna get from a cable box is Dolby Digital 5.1 and optical can definitely handle that.

Your cable box has to be configured correctly though.

Afro GT
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V473 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V473 by PriceGrabber.com