Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 69 Old 10-02-2013, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewirenut View Post

Just get the Denon X4000 and use it with your B&K. No HDMI issues and a better warranty than Onkyo

But wouldn't the Onkyo best it on amplification if down the road I did go to a larger set-up 7.1 or 9.1 and it can control both zones now:rolleyes:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 69 Old 10-04-2013, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 67

I'm in much the same boat as I compare the Onkyo 929 and the Denon x4000.  I currently have an Onkyo 876 and there are a couple of items about it I never liked.  When switching from SD programming to HD, there would be about an 8 second delay as the HDMI handshake occurred.  Also, the 12V trigger to turn on an external amp was hardwired to do zone 2, not the main zone. 

I've noticed that the 929 triggers are again zone 2/3 and it has no switched power outlet to employ a walwart to send a 12V signal to my amp.  So that's a strike against it.  It also appears to have no Audyssey LFC as the X4000 does.  So it's kind of off the table for me.  I'm now wondering if the Denon has that 8 second delay when switching sources.  It seems to me it wouldn't because as I recall, they dealt with that several years ago.  I'd like to eventually go to 9.1 and assume that with the Denon you could assign 2 internal amp channels to front wides, etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

post #63 of 69 Old 10-04-2013, 08:05 AM

Liked: 22
The X4000 switches between formats much more quickly and quietly than my old Onkyo HT-RC370. I don't know how long it takes because I no longer even notice it when it happens. The Onkyo used to click loudly and delay when changing channels and audio formats on my Dish Network DVR for example.
post #64 of 69 Old 10-04-2013, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post

.  I'd like to eventually go to 9.1 and assume that with the Denon you could assign 2 internal amp channels to front wides, etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

You could assign the internal amps to power the front wides / heights ( I believe ) but would still need an external amp to power the two speakers ( fronts ostensibly ) that you are re-assigning. The X-4000 has 7 channels of amplification, with pre-outs for 9 ... so for instance I've got the X-4000 running the typical 7 channel layout, LCR, sides and rears, and am using a two channel amp to power my heights from the height pre-outs.

post #65 of 69 Old 10-04-2013, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 67

It sounds like the Denon is the best option for me then.  I should have mentioned I have a 7 channel amp, so I'd only need to employ 2 of the avr's amp channels for 9.1

post #66 of 69 Old 10-07-2013, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 39
After I installed the 929 my I removed my 7 ch. amp without any reluctance.

I understand the apprehension with Onkyo with their heat problems. I'll admit they convinced me they solved the problems but still I had to have a real world comparison. So the 929 replaced my big amp and my Integra DTC 9.8 in my HT. The 9.8 is now in my garage system (I never thought I would see a 9.8 in anyone's garage) with better ventilation. But while the 9.8 has no video connected and the 929 does, the 929 with it's 9 internal amps is running 22 degrees cooler!

The X4000 and the 929 both have full Audyssey treatment to the lowest sub frequencies but the x4000 with Sub EQ HD treats two sub outs separately.

Oh and my wides and highs are an audible improvement.

JD Smoothie, the Oops is on me. While on vacation I discovered your return call..Glad I wasn't too harsh.

Patrick
post #67 of 69 Old 10-15-2013, 09:41 PM

Liked: 15
I'm in a similar situation as the OP in regards to the room my HT is in, our living room is 24x15 with vaulted ceilings that are shared with the kitchen / dining room with a 3/4 wall seperating the 2 spaces.

I currently have a Sony STR-DA5300ES that recently died and I'm looking at options to replace it with and my short list so far is the Denon AVR-X4000 and the Onkyo TX-NR929. I was at our local BB tonight playing with the X4000 and I must say I was pretty impressed with the unit and the Magnolia sales person quoted me $999 (new, not open box), down from the $1299 they have it listed for and I was half tempted to jump on it but I'm still drawn to check out a TX-NR929 before I pull the trigger on either. I know they have similar specs and it seems most tend to lean towards the Denon from what I've been reading so at this point I'm starting to go cross eyed reading up on both of these units, LOL.

Due to the layout of our living room and the vaulted ceilings, my biggest concern is dialouge from the CC, I've always had a probem with my fronts over powering the CC as I sit about 14' from the CC, I originally thought it was the CC itself so I replaced 3 of them (current one is a massive Definitive Tech) until I realized the AVR was the primary culprit, current Sony and previous Onkyo TX-DS676. I hear Audessy XT32 should help correct this issue which is one of the reasons I narrowed the list down to these 2 options and now I'm just torn on which to go with and what the better value is and whether I should take $999 or wait to see what the holiday sales will bring...?
post #68 of 69 Old 10-15-2013, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Should have called AVScience as we sell both models. wink.gif

Will I find La Scala, or better, to displace my La Scala fronts, before I displace my kg1, kg2 & kg3 with Heresy or better?

RED AND BLUE=MAROON!
post #69 of 69 Old 10-15-2013, 09:57 PM

Liked: 15
^^^

Haven't ruled that out yet either wink.gif

Just looking to get the best value of the 2 and the one that most fits my needs biggrin.gif
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr929 9 2 Channel Network A V Receiver , Marantz Av7701 Audio Video Preamp Processor , Pioneer Sc25 Sc 25 Sc 25 Elite 7 1 Channel Digital Home Theater Thx Receiver , Onkyo Ht Rc370 7 2 Channel Thx Certified Network Audio Video Receiver Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page