Problem with HDMI on Denon AVR-3808ci - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-24-2013, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a problem with my AVR-3808ci. The short version is this:

When i select an HDMI input on the receiver, i lose the TV says "no signal". If i choose the tuner or a non-hdmi source, i get the receiver's display with no problem.

I have a Denon BD Transport and Samsung LCD as well as an apple tv that i normal use. All components work fine and life has been good with the setup for about a year since i last has a problem with the receiver which was resolved. About a month ago, i was watching a DVD movie (Lawrence of Arabia) and in the middle of the movie had some problems. I ended up finishing the movie without the AVR and with HDMI plugged directly from the BD player to the TV.

Since then, I've done some troubleshooting. Different cables, different inputs, different source devices, and different display devices, resets of the AVR-3808ci all to no avail. I can get a good HDMI signal from any source to the AVR with the TV off, sound works great, i can hear BD or DVD movie soundtracks, but as soon as i turn the TV on, i lose audio, do not get a picture. Similarly, i can turn on the TV and AVR, get the OSD for the AVR, select the input for BD player and all is good, then turn the BD player on, and i lose video signal. If i plug the BD directly into the TV, no problems.

With trying a different TV, difference sources (apple TV, Marantz DVD player), different TVs, different HDMI cables, I consistently have the same problem. I tried all of the reset procedures i could find for the AVR. Everything point back to the reciever, but i have no idea what to do to fix it. Anyone have any ideas? I've done a bunch of searches of forums and haven't found anything that seems to be related. Any ideas for more troubleshooting or testing would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-25-2013, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
you don't mention what resolutions you are using / tried. Perhaps try setting things up for 720p plus remove any "autoing" options along the route. Further, turn off any "deep color" options if you haven't tried that.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-25-2013, 04:49 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
If the Blu Ray player has a Deep Color Output setting, then set it to OFF.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 4 Old 09-25-2013, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by budwich View Post

you don't mention what resolutions you are using / tried. Perhaps try setting things up for 720p plus remove any "autoing" options along the route. Further, turn off any "deep color" options if you haven't tried that.

Thanks for the replies!

The BD player is the Denon 2500-btci, which i think is way too old have deep color support, and the Marantz DV8400 DVD player certainly does not.

I did try both 720p and 1080p resolutions from the BD player, it did not make a difference. Of course, both 720p and 1080p work fine for the OSD from the receiver, as long as i'm only displaying it's menus, and not video from an external source.

The more I think about this issue the more i think that it is just some sort of failure in the receiver, i'm just having a hard time figuring out what else it could possibly be.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3808ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page