Importance of Audyssey in choosing an entry level amp? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-26-2013, 03:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I started a thread on choosing between the Denon 1713 and Onkyo 515 or 525 as an entry level amp, and am planning to run B&W 685s in 5.1. People reacted by pointing out that the 1713 has Audyssey MultEQ XT.

Is Audyssey a very, very big deal in this context, to the point that it would likely determine the choice of amp?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-26-2013, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 85
The main advantage of Audyssey in budget receivers is that it will EQ the subwoofer. The low frequencies are where you find a lot of problems with regards to room acoustics IMO so EQ of the sub is a must. That said, there are other options to EQ the subwoofer such as using a MiniDSP or AntiMode 8033.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-26-2013, 04:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolnewbie View Post

I started a thread on choosing between the Denon 1713 and Onkyo 515 or 525 as an entry level amp, and am planning to run B&W 685s in 5.1. People reacted by pointing out that the 1713 has Audyssey MultEQ XT.

Is Audyssey a very, very big deal in this context, to the point that it would likely determine the choice of amp?

Yes. It may be the only feature of the AVR that makes an audible difference.

And to respond to another post in the thread, Audyssey produces useful results over the entire audible band. The strongest weakness in lower versions turns out to be their action in the lower bass range.

Obtaining an AVR with Audyssey XT 32 can involve significant expense, and using parametric equalizers to clean up the bass range can be a working circumvention of this situation.

Also, multiple subwoofers are gaining significant use, and not many automated system tuning facilities are designed to optimize them individually, so manual parametric equalization may become part of the system no matter what version of Audyssey is available.
post #4 of 7 Old 09-26-2013, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I was looking at the Onkyo 525 which has Audyssey MultEQ. Then I saw some positive comments on the Yamaha RX-V375 & also looked at it.

I currently have an older Onkyo and wanted to upgrade, and the Audyssey MultEQ seemed like a nice upgrade. However the Yamaha seems to do everything I need & is a lot cheaper, but it uses their own YPAO Sound Optimization.

How does Audyssey MultEQ compare to YPAO?
post #5 of 7 Old 09-26-2013, 05:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

I was looking at the Onkyo 525 which has Audyssey MultEQ. Then I saw some positive comments on the Yamaha RX-V375 & also looked at it.

I currently have an older Onkyo and wanted to upgrade, and the Audyssey MultEQ seemed like a nice upgrade. However the Yamaha seems to do everything I need & is a lot cheaper, but it uses their own YPAO Sound Optimization.

How does Audyssey MultEQ compare to YPAO?

Just to make your question more difficult, you know that YPAO is not just one product, but like Audyssey a family of products with different levels of optimization, right?

You may be able to get some clues about which is what by reading the threads that specialize in YPAO, MCACC and Audyssey.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-26-2013, 06:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1344 Post(s)
Liked: 1667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolnewbie View Post

The room is the most important component in your system and the one that has the biggest influence on the sound. If your room is not treated with acoustic treatments, placed after independent measuring with a measurement tool such as REW in order to identify the issues, then your room will be causing, among other things, huge swings in frequency response - as much as 20-30dB variation is not uncommon in an untreated room.

If you are unable or unwilling to acoustically treat the room, the only way to try to tame the malign influences of the room on your final sound is to use some form of electronic EQ. Electronic EQ can be 'manual' - such as parametric equalisation, which can only be applied in conjunction with a measuring system such as REW - or it can be 'automated'.

Of the automated forms of room EQ, the generally accepted best version of 'consumer-level' auto-EQ is Audyssey XT32. XT32 will attempt to tame the room problems to give you a decent frequency response by correcting for the anomalies introduced by the room.  The bottom line is: the room has to be 'tamed' one way or another if you going to get the best from your system. Audyssey is a fairly easy-to-use system that runs in an automated form so very little knowledge is required to get a good result.

There are different 'flavours' of Audyssey MultEQ - this Audyssey FAQ answer explains the differences:

h)2.   What is the difference between the various versions of MultEQ?

XT32 is the best and, these days, can be found in AVRs from Onkyo and Denon for less than $1,000. If you have any specific questions about Audyssey, come over to the Official Audyssey Thread (linked in my sig by going to the FAQ) where there are numerous experienced users who will guide you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 7 Old 09-26-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Just keep in mind that Audyssey is a suite of EQ products and each manufacturer is free to incorporate any or all of those components in their products. They only need to implement the base product to claim to have the feature. So Audyssey MultEQ XT32 implemented by Onkyo could be different from implementation by Denon. There can even be a difference within the same manufacturer, but different pricing lines.

That being said, as the others have mentioned, room correction software of any sort will benefit the majority of the population. The higher up in product line you go, the better the correction software is. There are pros and cons for all products so you will need to figure out which will fit your needs best. For me, I prefer Audyssey MultEQ XT32. I have not tried ARC or Trinnov so I can't say they aren't better. I have tried YPAO and MCCAC though.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 1713 Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page