Route audio thru TV or not? HDMI vs Optical? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-26-2013, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am connecting home theater components, and wondering if I have the best audio connections.

I need to run my Samsung BD-F5900 3D Blu Ray directly to my Samsung UN50F6800 3D HDTV as my Pioneer VSX-1020k AV Receiver does not pass through 3D.

In addition, I would like to connect my Motorola DCX-3400 HD DVR Cable Box directly to my TV via HDMI, as my receiver does not have HDMI pass through in stand-by mode and I do not want to always have to turn my receiver on to watch TV.

I will have an xbox 360 connected directly to receiver via hdmi, and a Wii connected directly to receiver via composite cables.

My receiver will be powering a 5.1 system, and I may add 2 more speakers as front height speakers. My receiver also has some limitations: as noted no “stand-by” HDMI pass through, no 3D pass through, no ARC and only 2 optical audio input jacks. The receiver has the HDMI out connected to TV for the gaming consoles noted above, as well as for the receiver auto calibration on-screen GUI.

My HDTV, besides having the cable box, blu ray and receiver hdmi cables coming in, will have an optical audio cable going back to the receiver. This is also required to send audio from streaming apps (ie Netflix) back to receiver.

My questions are:

1) Will I be getting the best sound possible from the Blu Ray, with all sound options, routing to TV via hdmi, then to receiver via optical audio, or should I be sending sound directly from blu ray to receiver via optical audio? Will my TV limit certain audio options being passed to receiver?

2) Same question as #1, but for the cable box.

3) If I am not losing any audio quality/options routing through TV for #1 and #2 above, would it be better to use an HDMI connection to send audio from TV back to receiver?

a) I am unsure if the front height speakers will work over optical audio, as I believe the optical audio cables only support up to 5.2 channels? (The reason I am unsure is that my receiver has 7.1 channels and speaker hook-ups, but if I want front height/wide or “B” speakers I must attach to an additional set of speaker jacks included on receiver, so not sure if I’m really stepping up to 7.1 adding the front height speakers or if it’s some embellishment of 5.1!)

b) I do not believe that optical audio can transmit HD audio which may be coming through on some blu ray disks (HD audio unlikely over cable broadcasts?).

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-26-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 154
most TVs, connected to a bluray player via HDMI, will, during the "HDMI handshake" tell the player the TV is stereo, so the player will send a stereo track to the TV via HDMI. Since the TV never gets the surround mix, it cannot pass the surround mix on to the receiver. So you can't hear the surround mix . . . . A very few TVs behave otherwise. Haven't looked yours up.

Also, FWIW, optical digital cannot pass the lossless soundtracks present on most blurays, so even if multichannel gets through the TV to the receiver, it will be a lossy version. Which may not make an audible difference because, reportedly, the higher bitrate lossy encoding typically used on blurays may be indistinguishable from the lossy version, according to some testing.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-26-2013, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
I need to run my Samsung BD-F5900 3D Blu Ray directly to my Samsung UN50F6800 3D HDTV as my Pioneer VSX-1020k AV Receiver does not pass through 3D.

Actually your Pioneer VSX-1020 does pass a 3D signal.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/VSX-1020-K

Quote:
In addition, I would like to connect my Motorola DCX-3400 HD DVR Cable Box directly to my TV via HDMI, as my receiver does not have HDMI pass through in stand-by mode and I do not want to always have to turn my receiver on to watch TV.

Now this is where you do have a problem. I don't think this receiver has standby pass thru.
Quote:
If I am not losing any audio quality/options routing through TV for #1 and #2 above, would it be better to use an HDMI connection to send audio from TV back to receiver?

You receiver does not support ARC (audio return channel) so you cannot send a signal via HDMI from the TV back to the receiver. The only way to send audio from the TV to receiver is via optical output.

If you want take advantage of the best audio available you'll need to connect your Blu Ray player directly to the Pioneer receiver

With the Motorola HD cable box you can connect it directly to the TV via HDMI but also connect an audio cable, either optical or digital coax from the Motorola box to the Pioneer. That way you can get Dolby Digital 5.1 audio from the HD channels.

if you want to send audio from your SmartTV to the receiver you'll need to connect an optical cable from the TV to the receiver.

All this will be complicated for someone who gets frustrated with all the connections and audio/video switching. Your best bet is to get a Harmony remote so you can program all of these functions.
Buster T likes this.

Afro GT
post #4 of 7 Old 09-26-2013, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Afro GT, very helpful post. I am excited to go try your suggestions.

Not sure how I overlooked the 3D signal passing capability, perhaps because when I bought this receiver a few years back 3D wasn't on my mind.

I had this receiver in a different room up until yesterday, and I had a cable box (and blu ray) run directly to tv via hdmi and optical audio directly to receiver, so I know it works that way, just wasn't sure if I was compromising sound quality. I guess that's my best option w/ my setup and its limitations.

And yes, a Harmony remote is on my list as my next research project for the reasons you note.

I guess I am still not sure - if I have the 5.1 speakers set up, then add the 2 front height speakers, will the Dolby Pro Logic IIz be played properly via the cable box or apps from TV sources, as they both will be connected to receiver via optical cables? I am assuming they will not, but you have surprised me with good news already today, so I'll try my chances again!

Thanks
post #5 of 7 Old 09-26-2013, 04:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Does that receiver have Dolby IIz? If so you can apply it to any source from 2.0 to 5.1 to get sound out of your height speakers. You must configure the receiver correctly for front height speakers first.
old corps likes this.

Afro GT
post #6 of 7 Old 09-26-2013, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Does that receiver have Dolby IIz? If so you can apply it to any source from 2.0 to 5.1 to get sound out of your height speakers. You must configure the receiver correctly for front height speakers first.

+1!smile.gif

Ed
post #7 of 7 Old 09-30-2013, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

Yep, it has Dolby IIz, and the front height speakers work, so I guess optical audio cable can handle 5.1 plus the 2 front height speakers. Thanks for your help.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Samsung Bd F5900 3d Wi Fi Blu Ray Disc Player , Samsung Un55f6800 55 Class 1080p Smart Tv 3d Slim Led Hdtv With 3d Glasses , Pioneer Vsx 1020 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread - F5900 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page