Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersnow View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Plug your pre-amp/receiver/tv etc as master device and a smart power strip can do the auto on/off for you....http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006PUDQK/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That looks like a great option. Although it only is rated for 15 amps I wonder if this would pose a problem when plugging in a 1500 watt amp plus the other on/off source.
Anyone use one of these smart strips to power on/off their pro amp?

I use one for two XLS1500s (one runs L/R, the other C channels). While I haven't tried to melt my speakers, I doubt I'd ever pull that much amperage unless I started testing sine waves or something. Check out the specs from Crown http://www.crownaudio.com/media/wysiwyg//XLS/XLSDrivecore_powerdraw_thermal_keh.pdf

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 01-24-2014, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersnow View Post

That looks like a great option. Although it only is rated for 15 amps I wonder if this would pose a problem when plugging in a 1500 watt amp plus the other on/off source.
Anyone use one of these smart strips to power on/off their pro amp?

I had 6 crowns coming on at once blowing my circuit breaker so i had to buy a 12v triggered furman power sequencer to turn on the amps.

The 12volt trigger from my receiver only turns on the extra amps when i select a movie input.

Blazar!
post #33 of 37 Old 01-24-2014, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post

I had 6 crowns coming on at once blowing my circuit breaker so i had to buy a 12v triggered furman power sequencer to turn on the amps.

The 12volt trigger from my receiver only turns on the extra amps when i select a movie input.

The problem is the total current draw when powering everything up simultaneously.....
We have used this power strip in certain pro audio applications with good results...
Basically it has a Power ON & OFF sequence with an adjustable delay up to 15 seconds between each AC outlet...

http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2013/07/25/rockn-stompn-introduces-rs-4-sequential-power-supply/

Just my $0.05.... 👍😉
post #34 of 37 Old 01-24-2014, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post

The problem is the total current draw when powering everything up simultaneously.....
We have used this power strip in certain pro audio applications with good results...
Basically it has a Power ON & OFF sequence with an adjustable delay up to 15 seconds between each AC outlet...

http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2013/07/25/rockn-stompn-introduces-rs-4-sequential-power-supply/

Just my $0.05.... 👍😉

How much power does an amp need at start up? I actually had a sub plate amp working off the same strip as the two XLS1500s and no issues except a bit of noise at shutdown....

post #35 of 37 Old 01-24-2014, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

How much power does an amp need at start up? I actually had a sub plate amp working off the same strip as the two XLS1500s and no issues except a bit of noise at shutdown....

Depends upon the amplifier brand/design..
A typical power amp will draw significant current just when powering up...
Kinda like your car's starter cranks over when everything is cold..
Some amplifiers use a soft start circuit so minimum current is slowly drawn @ power ON.
Keep in mind the user said he had 6 amplifiers on 1 circuit... eek.gif
And the voltage on that circuit will likely sag just during power ON..
If the house has older wiring then his AC circuit may simply be less robust...

Just my $0.05.... 👍😉
post #36 of 37 Old 01-24-2014, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. I think all three of mine have some sort of soft start or at least a delay of sorts but no issues so don't think I'll worry about it.

post #37 of 37 Old 01-25-2014, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tstan7777 View Post

Well unfortunately the inuke is out because of extra noisy fan and no binding posts. Still leaning crown(xls1500). The yamaha is still on my mind as well as qsc(same wattage for less money). Still got another day.

You could have used a speakon to banana plug cable. They sell on ebay for low prices:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/131025486142?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Crown Xls 1500 Power Amplifier 2 Channel 525w 4 Ohms Per Ch , Gx3 By Qsc Audio , Crown Xls1000 Power Amplifier , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Behringer Nu1000dsp Inuke Power Amplifier
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page