Hey pro amp crowd.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 37 Old 09-27-2013, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm about to buy an amp. Been wanting another for a while and musicians friend has a good sale this weekend so i need to make up my mind. Contenders are crown xls 1500, qsc gx3, and yamaha p2500s. Watts range from 250 to 300. Cost leader is qsc at $249, favorite is crown at $324, and dark horse is yamaha at $344. Crown has the best s/n specs, which is probably the most important spec for me. But i searched the forum and another member with experience in the pro amps likes the yamaha the most.
Going to be powering some klipschs for now so a little worried about the noise. Not concerned about any fan noise because it's going in a tv stand/entertainment center that is 14' away. Anyone have a favorite?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 09-27-2013, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
I have used XLS1000. Have used berry inuke 6000 dsp also. I found crown to be fantastic with klipsch rf-82 II, but there is an early roll off in high frequencies. But I think that is imperative with class d amps. Apart from that, fan noise is virtually non-existent.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Alpine SWR-1223D Slot Ported HT Sub

Dual Dayton RSS390HO-4 Reference 15 Build For HT

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
post #3 of 37 Old 09-28-2013, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 143
I have been using pro-amps with my theater speakers for several years now. If it were me, I would get a Behringer iNuke 1000dsp for around $250 and then you will have lots of power, a great amp that runs fairly quietly, and you will also have some built in dsp so that you can EQ your speakers! That is a no brainer!
post #4 of 37 Old 09-28-2013, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

I was liking that inuke, but it only has speakons and the fan sounds like it's on the noisy side. I think the s/n was lower as well, in the 90s somewhere. The thought of eq sounded fun though.
post #5 of 37 Old 09-28-2013, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 146
once the noise is inaudible, having it more inaudible is intellectually satisfying but not relevant aurally. Like the Bryston (and a few others) ridiculous IM distortion levels, it's cool but not likely relevant in real world listening. Once I can't hear it, the margin by which I can't hear it is pretty irrelevant.

While I bristle at calling Behringer stuff "pro" it seems to in general lift pretty good designs from others and my sense is that either quality problems have been significantly improved or the mere fact that home users aren't routinely tossing it into the van to get to some little gig (like the ones I play these days) significantly reduces stresses and eliminates the "pile of dead Behringer" effect we used to see at a music store where I worked once upon a time.
post #6 of 37 Old 09-28-2013, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 95
running a crown xls2k with no issues whatsoever.....love it.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #7 of 37 Old 09-28-2013, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Well unfortunately the inuke is out because of extra noisy fan and no binding posts. Still leaning crown(xls1500). The yamaha is still on my mind as well as qsc(same wattage for less money). Still got another day.
post #8 of 37 Old 09-29-2013, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Went with the crown xls 1500. Really wanted the yamaha p2500s. It seems to have a little more overall quality, but it was slighty more for slightly less power. Plus the crown was more reviewed and seems to have no complaints. Total shipped was $324 from musicians friend. Can't wait to turn it up!
post #9 of 37 Old 12-28-2013, 08:47 AM

Liked: 15

So where is the review on the crown 1500?

What do you think after having it for 3 months?

post #10 of 37 Old 12-30-2013, 05:07 AM

Liked: 13
Speakon connectors are not a big deal at all. They are easy to install onto a cable and quite fool proof.
post #11 of 37 Old 12-30-2013, 05:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have an QSC DCA 1644, I think I am 2000 late to this QSC amp. But I really like it. I use it to power my tower speakers. You gonna like yours too.
post #12 of 37 Old 01-09-2014, 08:03 PM

Liked: 14

how is it that these amps are so much cheaper and so much more powerful? Aside from aesthetic and a fan, is there any reason i shouldnt buy a $500 pro amp vs a $1500 home theater amp?

post #13 of 37 Old 01-10-2014, 12:17 PM

Anyone? Bueller ? :)

post #14 of 37 Old 01-10-2014, 12:23 PM

The pro amp will probably be larger physically and have fewer features. Also less money is probably being spent on marketing than the home audio product. Specs can be very misleading. Compare something like an old Peavey CS-800 to some other more "modern" equivalent especially something non pro. Look at the specs and then consider that the CS-800 can do what's specified into any reasonable load indefinitely without shutting down or blowing up.
post #15 of 37 Old 01-10-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 1037
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMcLain View Post

Speakon connectors are not a big deal at all. They are easy to install onto a cable and quite fool proof.

Sooner or later the AVR people are going to catch on to Speakons. They make installation easier because you can wire them up away from the amp and then just plug them in instead of fiddling with wires on the back of the amp. They also latch so they won't pull out when you aren't looking.
post #16 of 37 Old 01-10-2014, 03:14 PM

The thing I don't like about the pro amps is the fact there is no remote ON. They stay turned on until the power switch is manually turned off. There is a way to wire a relay for this but still a PITA when compared to buying it with the feature included.

This being said I am going with a pro amp for my HT the savings is worth it.

post #17 of 37 Old 01-10-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by papashango61 View Post

how is it that these amps are so much cheaper and so much more powerful? Aside from aesthetic and a fan, is there any reason i shouldnt buy a $500 pro amp vs a $1500 home theater amp?

The pro audio crowd are far more practical about their choices, and aren't sitting on the edge of their beds waiting for the next issue of Stereopile to review the amps of their dreams. Their dealers generally take lower margins and there is more price competition on the web. Finally, they are far more likely to use cooling fans (potentially noisy so beware!) which can cut the size and weight of power transformers and heat sinks. The cooling fans are largely legislated by the fact that pro amps tend to be used in large stacks mounted in rack cases so its air in the front, air out the back as opposed to convection which is more prone to a vertical air flow.
post #18 of 37 Old 01-10-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Sooner or later the AVR people are going to catch on to Speakons. They make installation easier because you can wire them up away from the amp and then just plug them in instead of fiddling with wires on the back of the amp. They also latch so they won't pull out when you aren't looking.

I agree!! Speakons are just awesome..
post #19 of 37 Old 01-10-2014, 04:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyd View Post

Quote:

I agree!! Speakons are just awesome..

Times have changed. A few years ago mentioning Speakons would foster the oral discharge of quite a bit of spit. ;-)
post #20 of 37 Old 01-10-2014, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:

The pro amp will probably be larger physically and have fewer features. Also less money is probably being spent on marketing than the home audio product. Specs can be very misleading. Compare something like an old Peavey CS-800 to some other more "modern" equivalent especially something non pro. Look at the specs and then consider that the CS-800 can do what's specified into any reasonable load indefinitely without shutting down or blowing up.

What features are you talking about?
post #21 of 37 Old 01-10-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:

Times have changed. A few years ago mentioning Speakons would foster the oral discharge of quite a bit of spit. ;-)

I never would of thought.. smile.gif I'm wiring up some Neutrik Speakon's (NL4FX) ATM, and thought all speakers should be this way. They just seem so secure unlike anything else.
post #22 of 37 Old 01-10-2014, 06:44 PM

Generally speaking they are not going to have things like remote controls, tone controls etc. Cosmetics will be simpler too and the amp designed for pro sound will probably have provisions for rack mounting. Of course there are exceptions and a lot of amps intended for sound reinforcement use can have built in crossover islands and other things that the home user probably would not use.
post #23 of 37 Old 01-11-2014, 02:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:

Generally speaking they are not going to have things like remote controls, tone controls etc. Cosmetics will be simpler too and the amp designed for pro sound will probably have provisions for rack mounting. Of course there are exceptions and a lot of amps intended for sound reinforcement use can have built in crossover islands and other things that the home user probably would not use.

i believe the OP was referring to stand alone amps. I am not familiar with consumer amps having tone controls and remotes.

Pro amps generally have the most features. Some have crossovers, and many more ways to connect (speakon, RCA, 1/4", XLR).
They may not all be useful as you state, however more are available.
post #24 of 37 Old 01-20-2014, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Well I guess I'll report back on the amp after owning it for a few months. I haven't been able to "utilize" it much lately. I have to be home alone to get full use out of it, and that hasn't happened in a while. With that said, I'm mostly happy. Definitely glad I bought it. I don't listen to movies very loud at all, but I love my music pretty much as loud as I can get it. I've owned a string of adcoms and an aragon. I wish I could a/b the adcom to the crown, but I've never been able to a/b an of the amps I've owned so I guess that's par for the course.

I have the amp tucked away in a tv stand behind glass doors. The fan noise is nonexistent. Plus I sit about 14ft back which I'm sure helps. If you get up close when it's loud you can hear it come on, but not an issue at all. The plethora of blue lights could be a problem for some. The glass doors have a light tint on them which slightly dulls all the lights contained within, but the crown's are the most offensive by far. The good news is it's only several inches deep(surprisingly shallow depth when you pull it out of the box) so I push it all the way to the back of the stand. I leave it on all the time so I don't need access to it really. The only problem is when I have it cranked, I have to dip down a little on the couch to check the clip lights. Speaking of, that's one of my favorite features. Why I always liked those adcoms too. When you like to turn it up, some days it sounds soooo loud and and others it feels like it's barely at 3/4 volume. The clip lights pretty much end the debate on how loud is too loud. As far as sound, it sounds the same as the receiver watching tv or even movies in my case(Receiver is Yamaha rxv-659, 100w). Just don't turn it up enough.

One area that it helps tremendously.... when I watch music videos sourced from the dtv tuner. The receiver preamp runs out well before the amp/speaker combo does. So now I can get a lot more volume out of it when watching videos. Listening to music at high volume there is a noticeable difference, but it's not drastic. Much more punch and feel of effortlessness at full tilt. I've long been a proponent of separates. I would read comments from people on boards like these that talked about there being no difference between a receiver and and amp, and think they were crazy. I realize now, most don't hammer their speakers as much as me. So if yo don't turn it up, then that strong power probably won't matter to you.

Things I like are pretty much obvious....It's tiny, it's light, it's cheap, it's powerful. I actually like the looks of it...sans the light show. So unfortunately, you never get to see it the way it's pushed to the back. There was once I noticed one channel's clip lights didn't seem to be working. I gave the gain knob a good twist down and back up. That seemed to do the trick. Haven't noticed that again. There is an audible buzz when everything is shut off. Even with the receiver off. Not sure if that's a ground loop deal or what. The conditions that have to be met in order to hear it mean that it doesn't matter. It has to be dead quiet, have to be sitting close enough and really, your ear has to be turned the right direction. So it's a non issue for me. The only cons are the lights. And of course, I wish I could have gotten the 2000 or even the 2500. I'll just have to be happy with 300w for now, lol.
post #25 of 37 Old 01-21-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 133
if you want more people to read what you have to say, I suggest you hit "enter" once in awhile to break that immense paragraph into bite-size chunks; no way I'm diving into that

Noah
post #26 of 37 Old 01-21-2014, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

lol, what do you have against paragraphs?
post #27 of 37 Old 01-22-2014, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 237
I vote for neutrik speakons. My subwoofer amp has speakins and they truly rock. Standard xlr cables give you a very similar connection however and are much more standardized. Either way, gotta love Neutrik!

Blazar!
post #28 of 37 Old 01-22-2014, 01:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 723
OP--to reduce the blue light barrage what I did with my XLS1500s, find a small piece of black cardboard and scotch tape it over the window, plus little pieces of black electrical tape to cover the lights on the power switches and since a little more blue peeks through the screening, just a bit of electrical tape there as well, leaving the only visible light the power/limiting leds. Mine also sit back on a bottom shelf but can still see them from my couch, but mine are on an open shelf without any kind of glass to help filter the glare so I had to do something about the extra light (I always at least dim any other components panel).

post #29 of 37 Old 01-22-2014, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersnow View Post

The thing I don't like about the pro amps is the fact there is no remote ON. They stay turned on until the power switch is manually turned off. There is a way to wire a relay for this but still a PITA when compared to buying it with the feature included.
This being said I am going with a pro amp for my HT the savings is worth it.

Plug your pre-amp/receiver/tv etc as master device and a smart power strip can do the auto on/off for you....http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006PUDQK/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

post #30 of 37 Old 01-22-2014, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Plug your pre-amp/receiver/tv etc as master device and a smart power strip can do the auto on/off for you....http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006PUDQK/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That looks like a great option. Although it only is rated for 15 amps I wonder if this would pose a problem when plugging in a 1500 watt amp plus the other on/off source.
Anyone use one of these smart strips to power on/off their pro amp?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Crown Xls 1500 Power Amplifier 2 Channel 525w 4 Ohms Per Ch , Gx3 By Qsc Audio , Crown Xls1000 Power Amplifier , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Behringer Nu1000dsp Inuke Power Amplifier
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page