Onkyo 929 or Denon x4000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 09-27-2013, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have some time to still be swayed one way or the other, but it seems that the best 2 AVRs to choose from for me are the Denon X4000 and the Onkyo 929. They both are in the price range that I want to stay in (both are $1,299) and both can be covered for 4 years for $135 (therefore I am not that worried about either unit failing). They both posses Audyssey XT32 and while the 929 is 9.2 and rated higher in wattage the Denon (I believe) has a somewhat more advanced eq system. I do have the ability to use my B&K AV5000 seriesII amp if there is a need and an additional 2 channel amp from Adcom that could power the the separate zones.
Right now I am demoing a Pioneer sc67 which is 9.2 and can run my set-up including the separate zones without having to use any other amps. I have noticed no difference in power and sq vs my old Pioneer sc25 which is bad and good. The sound quality with Pioneer is uncontrolled with my current arrangement (messy bass) and I'm hoping that Audyssey will clean that up, yet there definately seems to be enough power.
I currently run a 5.1 set-up in a challenging room that has vaulted ceilings that opens up to the kitchen. My speaker line-up is; Sonus Faber Grand Piano front 3 (6ohm), Klipsch dipoles (8ohm), and a huge SVS pb-12 plus2 subwoofer. Using a 60"LG plasma, sony Blueray, apple tv, direct tv hd dvr, sony ps 3, and a wii (and new to the line-up Chromecast).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-27-2013, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

I take that back on the Power difference in the 2 units. Onkyo is rated at 160 @ 6 ohms and the Denon is @165 @ 6 ohms so there is little difference in that area. Though the Denon is still 7.2 as opposed to Onkyos 9.2. Onkyo would be able to run both zones without the need for an additional amp.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-28-2013, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter

Bump..... any thoughts here? I still have people on other forums thinking that I'm crazy moving from separates to AVR, being that I have a solid 5 channel lying around. As far as these "Final 2 " receivers for me I am really trying to nail down which would be best. Some say that the Onkyo is the "beefier" unit therefore it has better amplification and go for it, but if I want "beefier" wouldn't I get a lot more "beef" out of my B&K paired with the Denon? Heck I'd even get more "beef" with the Onkyo with that set-up. Surely then I would never have that old lady coming into my house asking "wheres the beef"? haaa
post #4 of 12 Old 09-28-2013, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Bump
post #5 of 12 Old 09-28-2013, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone have any insight? I really would like to know if the Onkyo 929 can have Audyssey engaged and still be able to adjust the tone. It was mentioned somewhere but i cannot find it. It has been said that this cannot be done with the Denon X4000 and that this unit sounds tinny and can be fatiguing.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-28-2013, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I think I already mentioned that I replaced an Integra DTC 9.8 and an Outlaw 200 watt per 7 channel amp with an Onkyo TX-NR929.

Subjectively the 929 sounds better than those two quality pieces in several ways.

Factually the with the exception of the X4000's inclusion of Sub EQ HD (important for multiple subs) the 929 has a few extras like flexible 11.2 pre-outs and 9 amplified channels with a few watts more for each.

When I installed the 929 I kept the Outlaw amp in place just in case. I was listening for differences. The 929 had the punch and detail I was looking for. When I realized how cool it ran compared to the 9.8 including it's built in amp, I removed the Outlaw permanently. I suspect it has a beefier power supply than the X4000 considering their weight difference, 41lbs to 29lbs.

All brands have their problems but Onkyo took a big hit with their HDMI board problems. For their sake I hope I'm not the only one they've convinced that it's behind them.

Patrick
post #7 of 12 Old 09-28-2013, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Since you still have some time to be swayed and if you are not opposed to getting a refurb unit, accessories4less has the Denon for $100 less than the Onkyo and the extended warrany for an additional 4 years is under $90. You will just have to check in with the site as they are currently out of stock for both. Just an option. As far as which one is better or which one sounds better, sorry but I can't help you there. I am still running an older Denon AVR-3808, but I am seriously thinking about going with the X4000 myself. I have never had issues with Denon and that particular receiver has everything that I need/want. Also I don't personally like the looks of the Onkyo and since I would have to stare at it every day with my setup, that is a factor for me, but YMMV. Good luck.

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato
post #8 of 12 Old 09-28-2013, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Patrick. Now since you own the 929 can you tell me if you can adjust the overall tone of the system once Audyssey has been engaged.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-28-2013, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Don't forget that if you call an authorized dealer you can get prices much lower than MSRP, often close to refurb prices. FWIW, forum sponsor AVScience is an authorized dealer for Onkyo, Denon and Marantz.

Also, external subwoofer equalizers are available if you'd rather keep your Pioneer. Of course, you'd still be limited by Pioneer's "one crossover frequency for all speakers" misfeature.

Selden
post #10 of 12 Old 09-29-2013, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If you plan to keep the unit for more than four years, I'd forget the Onkyos. WAY too many hdmi board failures. Both mine broke, and even nunder warranty, it's a disruption.smile.gif
post #11 of 12 Old 09-29-2013, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I recently purchased an x1000 Denon for my apartment setup & love everything about it. Paired with my Definitive ProMonitors, it sounds awesome & runs INCREDIBLY cool as well.....

Just my 2 cents....
Carmine.
post #12 of 12 Old 09-30-2013, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Moodyda, I could get back to you in a couple of days. But I noticed in another thread that it was mentioned that separate control is indeed possible.

But if you take any longer to decide, you might find Onkyo's xx10 models are finally being replaced with xx11 models. Just saying.

I'm guessing a TX-NR1011 might be priced between a 929 and a 7008.

But then you might end up waiting for the next big thing after that.biggrin.gif

Patrick
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr929 9 2 Channel Network A V Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr 3808ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page