Receiver - Speakers Recommendation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-29-2013, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi all,

I am new to this, and finally decided to start planning for a multimedia room and now I am the part of choosing an AV receiver and a set of speakers.

I don’t have a budget but at the same time I am not an audiophile so I would like to keep the costs at a decent level (1000 - 1500 Euro). I will primary use it for movies and listening some music (preferably flac format). I stopped at the Pioneer SC-1223K (around 550 Euro) primary because its class D, compared to Onkyo or Sony, as for speakers I was thinking between Harman/Kardon HKTS 30BQ 5.1 (around 450 Euro) and HKTS 60BQ (around 630 Euro) and I would like to know your opinion. Another thing that I have to mention is that I am currently living in Europe and everything should be 220V (I can buy thinks from US but it needs to be dual voltage).

Would you recommend something else?

Thanks,
George

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-29-2013, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

No users of Pioneer SC-1223K, or no one test it?

post #3 of 11 Old 09-30-2013, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

I've seen also that I can buy an

Onkyo TX-NR626 - for about 300 Euro or a Onkyo TX-NR727 (640Euro). Does the THX certification makes a difference? Between this two models and also the Pioneer SC-1223K.

Thanks

post #4 of 11 Old 10-01-2013, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

?

post #5 of 11 Old 10-01-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 325
People argue a lot about whether THX certification is useful. It costs a lot for manufacturers to have it done. Most modern audio equipment works quite well without it. The manufacturers usually provide their own equivalents of the special THX audio processing features.

More important in modern equipment is the room equalization software. Except for its entry-level 2EQ version, Audyssey MultEQ (used by Onkyo, Denon Marantz, NAD and a few others) equalizes the subwoofer. Pioneer's MCACC and Yamaha's YPAO do not. Both of the Onkyo models you mention have the same version of MultEQ, so there's no reason to choose one over the other in that regard.

Carefully go through the receivers features to decide which is best at matching your needs. Their power ratings should not be one of them. Most people listen at sound levels which use less than 10 W/ch. More power is needed when using inefficient speakers in large rooms.

The speakers and the room have the most effect on the quality of the sound you'll hear. The traditional rule of thumb is to spend only about 1/3 of your budget on electronics and 2/3 on the speakers: get the best ones you can afford.

I hope these comments help a little.

Selden
post #6 of 11 Old 10-02-2013, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much for your answer, probably I am going to stay with Onkyo N626 or Pioneer 1223K, I like the onkyo for connectivity (Wi-Fi, Bluetooth) but I like the idea of a Class D amplifier. Which one would you recommend?

As for the speakers currently I am looking at

4 x Pioneer SP-FS52-LR

1 x Pioneer SP-C22

1x Pioneer SW-8MK2 or maybe a different sub (a 220V otherwise I need to use a transformer)

or

Harman Kardon HKTS60 with 4 floor stands

I don’t know which will provide a better sound, clarity and nor power currently I live in a flat so I have to be careful with my neighbors.

post #7 of 11 Old 10-02-2013, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Sorry: I have no personal experience with class D amps or the speakers you mention. Hopefully someone with that experience can answer.

However, Harman's Web site claims that the speaker model you list is on back-order and won't be shipping until January, 2014. They also show them to be relatively inefficient (83dB @ 2.83V/1 meter) so might need a significant amount of power to produce loud sounds.

If at all possible, you should visit some local audio/video stores to listen to the speakers that they have. A local supplier will tend to be much more responsive than a remote internet reseller.

Selden
post #8 of 11 Old 10-02-2013, 05:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 1046
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpascanu View Post

I've seen also that I can buy an
Onkyo TX-NR626 - for about 300 Euro or a Onkyo TX-NR727 (640Euro). Does the THX certification makes a difference? Between this two models and also the Pioneer SC-1223K.

Thanks

Around here we seem to do more sorting of Onkyo AVRs based on which level of Audyssey they implement, than THX yes/no.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-02-2013, 05:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 1046
Quote:

Thank you very much for your answer, probably I am going to stay with Onkyo N626 or Pioneer 1223K, I like the onkyo for connectivity (Wi-Fi, Bluetooth) but I like the idea of a Class D amplifier. Which one would you recommend?

As for the speakers currently I am looking at
4 x Pioneer SP-FS52-LR
1 x Pioneer SP-C22
1x Pioneer SW-8MK2 or maybe a different sub (a 220V otherwise I need to use a transformer)

Those Pioneer "Famous Designer" L/R/Center/Surround (LCRS) speakers have a pretty good reputation around here.

8" subs, not so much.

Quote:
Harman Kardon HKTS60 with 4 floor stands

I'm pretty much turned off by those tiny, inefficient 3" speakers. Definitely rather have the Pioneer LCRS speakers, above.
Quote:
I don’t know which will provide a better sound, clarity and nor power currently I live in a flat so I have to be careful with my neighbors.

You might want to bring the sub in as part of a second wave upgrade after they settle in with the Pioneers.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-02-2013, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Selden Ball and arnyk. I am going to wait a few days while I will try to find more about Class D amplifiers, but probably I will go all the way with Pioneer.

post #11 of 11 Old 10-02-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:

Thanks Selden Ball and arnyk. I am going to wait a few days while I will try to find more about Class D amplifiers, but probably I will go all the way with Pioneer.

Search for reviews on the Pioneer 1222 and 1522 or some of the Elite models.

This review is for the Elite version of the 1222 which should be similar to the 1223 you're looking at
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/pioneer-elite-sc-61-av-receiver

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr727 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Pioneer Sc 1222 7 2 Channel Network Ready Av Receiver , Pioneer Sc 1522k 9 2 Channel Av Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page