Yamaha RX-A2030 and A3030 - Can't bi-Amp Fronts AND use Front Presence Speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-30-2013, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Anyone know if the A2030 or A3030 can support both bi-amping the fronts AND using front presence speakers?

I have:

2 Fronts
1 Center
2 Front Presence speakers
2 Rear Surrounds
1 Sub

I was excited to get the 9.2 A2030, thinking for sure it would allow me to bi-amp my fronts and still use the front presence speakers... but now that I'm trying to set it up that way, it looks to me like I can't!

I really like the "dialogue lift" feature using front presence speakers, so I think I'll use 'em. Sure wish I could put the other two "unused" amps to use bi-amping the fronts.

Thankful for any responses,
Janibrewski
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-30-2013, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry - I'm a jackass. I meant to post this in the Yamaha RX-1030, 2030, 3030 thread.

While we're hear - anyone know of other AV receivers that support the above configuration?

Thanks,
Janibrewski
post #3 of 10 Old 09-30-2013, 05:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Its arguable that there is any benefit to biamping...especially passive biamping.

Have you actually tried to biamp this receiver? Did you notice any differences in the front speakers?

You can try it by not using the front presence speakers. Then decide if it is more important to have biamp fronts or presence speakers.
Janibrewski likes this.

Afro GT
post #4 of 10 Old 09-30-2013, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Good advice, afrogt. Dollars to donuts I couldn't tell the difference between bi-amped, amped, and tri-amped.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-30-2013, 11:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 348
So you decided you wanted to biamp your fronts but you never actually tried it? confused.gif

Sometimes I wish mfrs would just put one set of terminals on a speaker. Then you wouldn't have to be concerned about biamping.

Afro GT
post #6 of 10 Old 10-01-2013, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

So you decided you wanted to biamp your fronts but you never actually tried it? confused.gif

Sometimes I wish mfrs would just put one set of terminals on a speaker. Then you wouldn't have to be concerned about biamping.

Guilty as charged.

biggrin.gif
post #7 of 10 Old 10-01-2013, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

I long ago decided that the best "accidental" audio decision I ever made was to use powered L|C|R front main speakers on all three of my AV systems . . . the unintended consequence is that I am never tempted to ask myself if I should experiment with bi-amping! biggrin.gif

However, the Klipsch XF-48 (link) floorstanders (L|R in my 2.1 "mostly music" system) are actually biamped powered speakers with both Class A/B High-Frequency, and Class D Low-Frequency internal amps. (No fans, and even when played hard in action movies all day, it's hard to tell if the metal chassis--which acts as a passive radiator--is any warmer than room temperature.)

_

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #8 of 10 Old 10-03-2013, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Were you wanting to use the pre-outs and main in? I am looking for a high in receiver that does that. Looks like starting with the RX-Z11, Yamaha took the main-in connections away. BTW, I really like multi-amping the speakers with a low level crossover.

"A Monsters Work is Never Done"
post #9 of 10 Old 10-03-2013, 07:36 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
The flagship Denon 4520CI has both 7.1 EXT IN as well as 11.2 pre-outs and can bi-amp FL/FR while still using FHL/FHR or FWL/FWR speakers.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #10 of 10 Old 10-07-2013, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

The flagship Denon 4520CI has both 7.1 EXT IN as well as 11.2 pre-outs and can bi-amp FL/FR while still using FHL/FHR or FWL/FWR speakers.

So I could go pre-out to an active external crossover and back in to the front mains to use the receivers internal amp?

"A Monsters Work is Never Done"
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rxa2030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver , Yamaha Rxa3030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver , Yamaha Aventage Rxa 1030 Receiver , Yamaha Rx Z11bl 11 2 Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page