Dolby Digital Plus and Netflix on Various AVRs - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-06-2014, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Well I guess I'm a member of this club with my denon 4520 (sounds like this is a crapshoot lottery issue) :-(

Having heard these sharp notes primarily in my left surround but that could be concidental, they do seem to happen in other channels as well.

I honestly thought I had possibly blown a speaker but as with the rest of you i only hear this when playing DD+ soundtrack from Netflix. Any other source sounds simply amazing and quite frankly with the good sides of the this receiver outweighs this one issue, but a fix would really be expected considering its price range but for now setting my Netflix viewing to stereo is ok.

My primary streaming device is my oppo 103d, and I'm not swapping that out either, I'm more likely to drop Netflix than changing my gear.

Last edited by TorTorden; 09-06-2014 at 03:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2014, 02:48 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4438 Post(s)
Liked: 2380
^^
The fix was released to the D&M 2012 (to include 4520CI) and 2013 models back in Feb/Mar. Simply update the firmware on the unit.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
Old 09-07-2014, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
The fix was released to the D&M 2012 (to include 4520CI) and 2013 models back in Feb/Mar. Simply update the firmware on the unit.
It is up to date.
First thing I checked.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:50 AM
585-645-1006

^^
The Netflix DD+ discussed in this thread re: Denon and Marantz models only impacts the center channel. It would appear your issue is unrelated.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 09-15-2014 at 05:56 AM.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
not just the center

Quote:
^^
The Netflix DD+ discussed in this thread only impacts the center channel.
N.B. This post has now been edited to restrict the claim to Denon and Marantz only.

That's most certainly not true, at least not on my three setups.* I would get it (now all streaming devices are on PCM) variously, with no discernible rhyme or reason, on either fronts, the centers and either rears. When I would go back to the same spot in the movies that do this (as a test), the noise would come from different speakers each time. And, because I have three venues, when I had a problem in an active venue, I could stop Netflix, start up the second venue, rewind what I was watching to a few seconds before the problem, press play and voila, there it was, at the same exact place. Rinse and repeat with venue three.

I remain unconvinced this is anything but a Netflix problem: too many different receivers, too many different streaming devices. No issue with any of these devices with any other source, just Good Old Faithful Netflix, same places every time, sending unprocessable artifacts at the same exact point in their stream. Just like a divot on the sidewall of a track on a vinyl record. You can swap out the cartridge as many times as you'd like, but the noise will still be there. At least until you do the functional equivalent of dumbing down to PCM. Maybe that would be akin to swapping out the stereo record for a mono one?

*1) Yamaha RX-A1020, Sony BDP-S5100 direct to AVR via HDMI; 2) Yamaha RX-V575, Sony BDP-S3100, direct to AVR via HDMI; and 3) 1999 Sony STR-DA555ES, Sony BDP-S5100 coaxial to AVR.

Last edited by jdschatz; 10-18-2014 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:46 AM

I also think this is something Netflix has done in the past few months, I remember Netflix sounding much better when I first got this receiver.

But 6-8 weeks ago the DD+ soundtrack is just broken for me, and even the stereo soundtrack sounds like it has more digital compression to it.

It's not my system, using the exact same device. SACD'S and bluerays sound brilliantly using and saying DD+ need more processing power than a 7.1 DTS-HD soundtrack?

It isn't a streaming issue either cause vudu sound great.
Again the only common denominator is Netflix and DD+.

Currently trying with the oppo set from bitstream to pcm, and so far no angry shrieking crickets.
So it looks to be a compound issue, a glitch DD+ in the avr, caused by newer changes in Netflix current implementation of the protocol.

Last edited by TorTorden; 09-15-2014 at 06:36 AM.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:02 AM

With the player set to LPCM, no issues.
I also just ordered season 1 of agents of shield, and noticed it says Dolby digital plus up in the corner, so to check i set my player back to bitstream and indeed its DD+ and not a single squeak or other aberrations.

So again, a Netflix only issue.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

Does this fix address only center channel issue or does it fix also harsh S's and F's sounds when DD+ is used?

I guess the Denon 3310 is too old to get a firmware update.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:51 PM

Liked: 0
Sony stinks...

Sony just posted this on their support forum (see below). I called them and they told me I have to pay them to get it fixed... I bought my HT-CT660 soundbar just a year and two months ago.

--

Hello everyone,

Sorry for the delay, I know that many of you have been awaiting a solution for the Dolby Digital Plus Sound Distortion for a while. We wanted to keep everyone updated on additional models that were impacted.

The following models can be directly updated by firmware to address this issue directly:
STR-DN840 - released August 18
STR-DN1040 - released August 25

The following models will need to be Serviced to correct the Dolby Digital Plus Sound Distortion:
Receivers
STR-DH540
STR-DH740
STR-DH550
STR-DH750
Soundbars
HT-ST7
HT-XT1
HT-CT660
HT-CT370 (impacted Serial # 8200001 - 8202846)
HT-CT770 (impacted Serial # 8100001 - 8137756)

Please contact Sony Service to schedule a Service repair. When you schedule the repair, please reference "Dolby Digital Plus Sound Distortion".

The STRDA1800ES is currently undergoing testing and a solution will be available in the future.

As more information becomes available it will be communicated both on this forum and to our Call Representatives. I thank you all for your patience in awaiting a permanent solution to address this issue.

Thank you
Old 10-02-2014, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi !

I am a German user and bought my Chromecast stick as I wanted to use it with Netflix Germany which started about two weeks ago here.

The chromecast stick is connect to my Pioneer VSX-LX53 7.1 receiver.

I have been watching Breaking Bad for the past two weeks and while the video is great the audio has certain on some frequencies.

It is good to know other people have that problem, too.

Reading how many people are actually affected by this nuisance I assume that this is entirely Netflix' fault.

It is truly annoying I mean the other channels sound good and the music sound goods, too, but when somebody is raising his voice it sounds
like garbled.

I wish Netflix would truly fix this issue.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confederate View Post
Hi !

I am a German user and bought my Chromecast stick as I wanted to use it with Netflix Germany which started about two weeks ago here.

The chromecast stick is connect to my Pioneer VSX-LX53 7.1 receiver.

I have been watching Breaking Bad for the past two weeks and while the video is great the audio has certain on some frequencies.

It is good to know other people have that problem, too.

Reading how many people are actually affected by this nuisance I assume that this is entirely Netflix' fault.

It is truly annoying I mean the other channels sound good and the music sound goods, too, but when somebody is raising his voice it sounds
like garbled.

I wish Netflix would truly fix this issue.
I wish it was only Netflix. Recently I've noticed the issue in some Amazon Prime movies and shows too...
Old 10-03-2014, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 79
FYI

I was informed by Netflix this morning that their app for Samsung Smart TVs has a known problem with DD+ audio. (I have dropouts with DD+ 5.1, usually not seen with DD+ 2.0, but last night even 2.0 audio was choppy.)

I suspected the app since the audio is ID'ed by my AVR as DD, not DD+. The same titles played via Netflix apps for Chromecast and Panasonic BDT-210 show up as DD+ on the amp. (All three are sending to the AVR as PCM I believe.) The AVRs DD chip is supposed to be backward compatible, but I don't know if it if the stream has an incorrect flag.

Owners of other TVs, AVRs, YMMV, but considering what Netflix told me I would suggest you look at the app as a root cause.

A: Yamaha RX-V775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Samsung UN40ES6150, Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I've been dealing with the raspy, kind of blown speaker, slurred speech (Mainly S's and F's) in Netflix from my FireTV, WDTV, and Laptop for the last couple of months. It has been almost every title from House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, even back to old titles like Coach. I tried Stereo and DD+ and would get the same messed up audio. I could not replicate this problem from any other source (Redbull.tv, Youtube, streamed MKV's, Bluray discs, CD's, and a few others).

I finally updated the receiver yesterday, Denon 2113ci, and it sounds like it's back to normal. Thanks for the information everyone!

Klipsch RF-82II, RC-62II
2x Dayton Ultimax 12, Behringer iNUKE3000DSP
Denon 2113ci
Old 10-06-2014, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorTorden View Post
Well I guess I'm a member of this club with my denon 4520 (sounds like this is a crapshoot lottery issue) :-(

Having heard these sharp notes primarily in my left surround but that could be concidental, they do seem to happen in other channels as well.

I honestly thought I had possibly blown a speaker but as with the rest of you i only hear this when playing DD+ soundtrack from Netflix. Any other source sounds simply amazing and quite frankly with the good sides of the this receiver outweighs this one issue, but a fix would really be expected considering its price range but for now setting my Netflix viewing to stereo is ok.

My primary streaming device is my oppo 103d, and I'm not swapping that out either, I'm more likely to drop Netflix than changing my gear.
I am definitely experiencing this with my 2313. It is the surround left channel that I am noticing the strange sounds in. I had the center channel problems way back when, then the new firmware addressed those problems, but this seems DD+ related as well.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 770 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by judge_dredd View Post
I am definitely experiencing this with my 2313. It is the surround left channel that I am noticing the strange sounds in. I had the center channel problems way back when, then the new firmware addressed those problems, but this seems DD+ related as well.
Did netflix drop their 5.1 audio all i get now is 2ch stereo as primery sound i use to get 5.1 not anymore on both my samsung smart TV's

My main setup Onkyo TX-NR 1030 7.2.4 /Onkyo M-5010 Amplifier for top middle/ Samsung PN60E8000 / Directv genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray Bic Acoustech speakers,MICCA M-8S FH/TM on wall / in ceiling speakers / 2 Bic F12 subs
10' X 15' DEN Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2 Atmos / Acoustic Audio 151B Indoor/Outdoor Speakers top middle on Ceiling Speakers/ Samsung PN51F5500 / Directv Genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray /
Old 10-06-2014, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
FYI

I was informed by Netflix this morning that their app for Samsung Smart TVs has a known problem with DD+ audio. (I have dropouts with DD+ 5.1, usually not seen with DD+ 2.0, but last night even 2.0 audio was choppy.)

I suspected the app since the audio is ID'ed by my AVR as DD, not DD+. The same titles played via Netflix apps for Chromecast and Panasonic BDT-210 show up as DD+ on the amp. (All three are sending to the AVR as PCM I believe.) The AVRs DD chip is supposed to be backward compatible, but I don't know if it if the stream has an incorrect flag.

Owners of other TVs, AVRs, YMMV, but considering what Netflix told me I would suggest you look at the app as a root cause.
i must have missed your post thank you for letting us know do you know if samsung is fixing this or should we all call them to make them aware of the issue i'm only getting 2ch when it says 5.1.

My main setup Onkyo TX-NR 1030 7.2.4 /Onkyo M-5010 Amplifier for top middle/ Samsung PN60E8000 / Directv genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray Bic Acoustech speakers,MICCA M-8S FH/TM on wall / in ceiling speakers / 2 Bic F12 subs
10' X 15' DEN Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2 Atmos / Acoustic Audio 151B Indoor/Outdoor Speakers top middle on Ceiling Speakers/ Samsung PN51F5500 / Directv Genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray /
Old 10-06-2014, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post
Did netflix drop their 5.1 audio all i get now is 2ch stereo as primery sound i use to get 5.1 not anymore on both my samsung smart TV's
I still get 5.1 audio. You might have to hit the DOWN ARROW while playing a title to get to audio options, and select the 5.1 audio stream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post
i must have missed your post thank you for letting us know do you know if samsung is fixing this or should we all call them to make them aware of the issue i'm only getting 2ch when it says 5.1.
I haven't talked to Samsung. I've read many threads dating from 2012 to the present (for models from 2012 to 2014 model years). I think I read one where the owner got Samsung to come out and replace several boards on the TV with no change. Most threads, seems others have tried Samsung tech support and come away with

• Zero constructive help,
  • Wasted time trying to get a low-level support rep to even understand the problem (reps not even familiar with the technical details of TOSLINK, SPDIF, HDMI ARC, etc),
  • Headache from trying to educate a support rep before even getting some recognition of the problem.

No way that I'm getting on that merry-go-round. You can try and report back here....

A: Yamaha RX-V775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Samsung UN40ES6150, Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
I still get 5.1 audio. You might have to hit the DOWN ARROW while playing a title to get to audio options, and select the 5.1 audio stream.

I haven't talked to Samsung. I've read many threads dating from 2012 to the present (for models from 2012 to 2014 model years). I think I read one where the owner got Samsung to come out and replace several boards on the TV with no change. Most threads, seems others have tried Samsung tech support and come away with

• Zero constructive help,
  • Wasted time trying to get a low-level support rep to even understand the problem (reps not even familiar with the technical details of TOSLINK, SPDIF, HDMI ARC, etc),
  • Headache from trying to educate a support rep before even getting some recognition of the problem.

No way that I'm getting on that merry-go-round. You can try and report back here....
i'll have to check out that drop down menu i never had a problem before i alway got 5.1 but maybe something has changed

Old 10-06-2014, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

I've generally noticed that the 5.1 mix is the default (but if I'm watching a TV series, e.g. MAD MEN, when I select 2.0, it "sticks" to that choice). But you should ensure you're selecting content that HAS a 5.1 audio stream.

If you have a BD player or a device that connects to your Hi-Fi via HDMI (e.g. iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch) that can be a comparison. E.g. Netflix or HBO Go on Chromecast or an iPod. I.e. I've watched the same movie on my TV's Netflix app, then watched it on my Chromecast. DD 5.1 from the TV's app, DD+ 5.1 from the Chromecast.

ADDENDUM: I can't rule out that the TV has some issues based on some testing I just did. The S/PDIF configuration output options are PCM, DOLBY DIGITAL and DTS. From digital broadcast TV, DD 5.1 works fine. With HDMI inputs selected, only PCM is available; same with Smart Hub, PCM is the only option available in the settings.

Using WAR OF THE WORLDS GOLIATH as a test stream, with my Chromecast plugged into HDMI IN 2 of my Yamaha receiver, Netflix offered English DD+ 5.1 as well as English Stereo when "casting" to the Chromecast. I then plugged the Chromecast into the TV's HDMI3 input, and the Netflix app only offered the English Stereo audio stream on the same movie. Seems the Chromecast determines supported audio formats, then informs the app on the device. The TV's HDMI ARC return audio was identified as PCM 2.0 by the AVR. I then plugged the same iPod Touch directly into HDMI3 of the TV (same port the Chromecast was in), using an Apple Lightning Digital AV adapter (MD826ZM/A). Again, the TV only passed PCM 2.0 audio to the AVR, and the Netflix app on the iPod Touch only offered a 2.0 soundtrack. I plugged the Chromecast back into my Yamaha AVR, and the app now offered DD+ 5.1 for casting.

I've my got my arm in a sling post-op for rotator cuff repair, so I can't switch my BD player's HDMI connection. That would be my next test.

This suggests to me that the Samsung TV has a problem with audio streams that aren't simple PCM. I've seen many threads with users complaining of Samsung TVs' digital audio output to soundbars being faulty, so it may be the Netflix app has to output DD 5.1 via PCM, and not pre-decoded. (Someone with more technical expertise in these audio stream formats, please jump in and correct me as needed.)

Last edited by ChromeJob; 10-06-2014 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Further troubleshooting with Samsung ES6150 TV
Old 10-06-2014, 03:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 200
The problem is two-fold...
Dolby updated their Dolby Digital Plus encoder specs to be more compatible with tablets and smart phones and is now being used by NetFlix..
New Dolby Digital Plus decoding software has been available for the last 18 months but many brands of AVRs, TVs and sound bars have not implemented the subject update and/or not provided a firmware update....
Secondly, the Samsung products including HD displays and Blu-Ray players are not HDMI certified...
This causes severe technical issues when used with other brand of HDMI components.

Best solution is to stay clear of Samsung products, and if possible return it for another brand..

Just my $0.02...
ChromeJob likes this.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
My 4311CI received a firmware update today. The LCD reported the DSP's being updated. This appears to have fixed the Dolby Digital Plus issue with Netflix streaming.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by judge_dredd View Post
I have been experiencing this problem, pre and post update, since I purchased my X2000. I have contacted Denon regarding this and they have finally reported back that they have been able to successfully reproduce the issue. This issue has apparently been forwarded to their engineering department in Japan. However, this was several months ago without any update or information regarding Denon's plan for a permanent solution. I highly encourage other users that have these 2013 Denon models to contact Denon customer support and report this issue as they have been telling me I am the only reported case. This might help speed things along a bit if they realize many customers are disappointed.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:

Denon responded to my inquiry about this issue with this:

Hello Mr. *****,

Our engineering team in Japan is still working on this issue. Any firmware update will be released at a later date. We will continue to keep this incident In Process. Once we hear anything on this particular issue, we will be in contact. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you,

Technical Support/Custom Install
D+M Group

I highly suggest that everyone call Denon to report this issue as I have been told I have been the only reported case. This may speed things along for a more permanent solution as Denon has been "working on this" for several months since I reported it in June.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 13
At least you guys can get a firmware update my denon avr-591 will never be fixed
Old 11-19-2014, 12:40 PM

i read that denon avr-e300 have this issue, and they fix it by network firmware update, but i have and e200 anybody knows how can i update the firmware?

thanks
Old 11-19-2014, 01:50 PM
585-645-1006

^^
You will need to send it in to a repair facility that is capable of doing the update, noting not all facilities have the required part to connect to the E200. Might be easier to just set Netflix to Stereo and use the DD PLII mode on the E200 to simulate 5.1 audio.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
Old 11-19-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
^^
You will need to send it in to a repair facility that is capable of doing the update, noting not all facilities have the required part to connect to the E200. Might be easier to just set Netflix to Stereo and use the DD PLII mode on the E200 to simulate 5.1 audio.
i guess that is because i'm using a Sony BDPS3200 for streaming and it does DD+, but if i buy a appletv that stream on DD could that fix the problem?
Old 11-19-2014, 02:25 PM

It could, I found just setting my bluray player from bitstream to PCM cleared it for me.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:37 PM

Wink

Quote:
It could, I found just setting my bluray player from bitstream to PCM cleared it for me.
so i have a 2012-2013 receiver with DD+ to set my bluray to PCM lol, so i guess i sell the "new" and use the old sony(2003) receiver that can handle Dolby PLII, set the receiver to PCM make the receiver kinda "guess" which sound goes to which speaker, its not like DD or DD+ where the receiver knows what to play in each speaker. Have an receiver and set the source of sound to PCM is kinda silly, thats why i was asking about the appletv, coz i know the appletv output is DD only,
and probably the stupid denon receiver knows what to play in each speaker.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:02 PM

Some bd players and most tv's can only send stereo PCM and yours seem to be one of them. I'm getting a little spoiled with this Oppo, since it can decode anything under the sun to a 7.1 track, and PCM in my case just moves the decoding from the AVR to the BD player without any audible difference (and bypassing my avrs dd+ decoding and it's errors)

As for Pro logic, it actually sounds more like that feature is up and running since you are pretty much describing what that sounds like with stereo sources.
I would be very suprised if your current Denon didn't support Dolby PL (they may now be calling it IIx or IIz,), I have 3 avr's over the last decade and they have all supported it, including my latest Denon, and what you describe as the receiver "guessing" sounds like one of the stereo to surround matrix features are in use.

Anyhoo, just mentioned it since it for me was a free fix, but sadly seems to not work for you
If possible I would recommend testing an apple tv first but as you say, it should work since it won't feed a dd+ signal, in fact it is only this latest version of dd+ that causes issue for me at least, others like vudu sounds just fine.

Tags
Denon Avr 591 Receiver