Dolby Digital Plus and Netflix on Various AVRs - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #361 of 368 Old 09-06-2014, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Well I guess I'm a member of this club with my denon 4520 (sounds like this is a crapshoot lottery issue) :-(

Having heard these sharp notes primarily in my left surround but that could be concidental, they do seem to happen in other channels as well.

I honestly thought I had possibly blown a speaker but as with the rest of you i only hear this when playing DD+ soundtrack from Netflix. Any other source sounds simply amazing and quite frankly with the good sides of the this receiver outweighs this one issue, but a fix would really be expected considering its price range but for now setting my Netflix viewing to stereo is ok.

My primary streaming device is my oppo 103d, and I'm not swapping that out either, I'm more likely to drop Netflix than changing my gear.

Last edited by TorTorden; 09-06-2014 at 03:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 368 Old 09-06-2014, 02:48 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked: 1508
^^
The fix was released to the D&M 2012 (to include 4520CI) and 2013 models back in Feb/Mar. Simply update the firmware on the unit.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #363 of 368 Old 09-07-2014, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
The fix was released to the D&M 2012 (to include 4520CI) and 2013 models back in Feb/Mar. Simply update the firmware on the unit.
It is up to date.
First thing I checked.
post #364 of 368 Old 09-07-2014, 08:50 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked: 1508
^^
The Netflix DD+ discussed in this thread re: Denon and Marantz models only impacts the center channel. It would appear your issue is unrelated.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 09-15-2014 at 05:56 AM.
post #365 of 368 Old 09-11-2014, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
not just the center

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
The Netflix DD+ discussed in this thread only impacts the center channel.
N.B.The above has now been edited by the author to restrict the center channel claim to Denon and Marantz.

That's most certainly not true, at least not on my three setups.* I would get it (now all streaming devices are on PCM) variously, with no discernible rhyme or reason, on either fronts, the centers and either rears. When I would go back to the same spot in the movies that do this (as a test), the noise would come from different speakers each time. And, because I have three venues, when I had a problem in an active venue, I could stop Netflix, start up the second venue, rewind what I was watching to a few seconds before the problem, press play and voila, there it was, at the same exact place. Rinse and repeat with venue three.

I remain unconvinced this is anything but a Netflix problem: too many different receivers, too many different streaming devices. No issue with any of these devices with any other source, just Good Old Faithful Netflix, same places every time, sending unprocessable artifacts at the same exact point in their stream. Just like a divot on the sidewall of a track on a vinyl record. You can swap out the cartridge as many times as you'd like, but the noise will still be there. At least until you do the functional equivalent of dumbing down to PCM. Maybe that would be akin to swapping out the stereo record for a mono one?

*1) Yamaha RX-A1020, Sony BDP-S5100 direct to AVR via HDMI; 2) Yamaha RX-V575, Sony BDP-S3100, direct to AVR via HDMI; and 3) 1999 Sony STR-DA555ES, Sony BDP-S5100 coaxial to AVR.

Last edited by jdschatz; 09-15-2014 at 11:59 AM.
post #366 of 368 Old 09-15-2014, 05:46 AM

I also think this is something Netflix has done in the past few months, I remember Netflix sounding much better when I first got this receiver.

But 6-8 weeks ago the DD+ soundtrack is just broken for me, and even the stereo soundtrack sounds like it has more digital compression to it.

It's not my system, using the exact same device. SACD'S and bluerays sound brilliantly using and saying DD+ need more processing power than a 7.1 DTS-HD soundtrack?

It isn't a streaming issue either cause vudu sound great.
Again the only common denominator is Netflix and DD+.

Currently trying with the oppo set from bitstream to pcm, and so far no angry shrieking crickets.
So it looks to be a compound issue, a glitch DD+ in the avr, caused by newer changes in Netflix current implementation of the protocol.

Last edited by TorTorden; 09-15-2014 at 06:36 AM.
post #367 of 368 Old 09-17-2014, 07:02 AM

With the player set to LPCM, no issues.
I also just ordered season 1 of agents of shield, and noticed it says Dolby digital plus up in the corner, so to check i set my player back to bitstream and indeed its DD+ and not a single squeak or other aberrations.

So again, a Netflix only issue.
post #368 of 368 Old 09-18-2014, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

Does this fix address only center channel issue or does it fix also harsh S's and F's sounds when DD+ is used?

I guess the Denon 3310 is too old to get a firmware update.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 591 Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page