Dolby Digital Plus and Netflix on Various AVRs - Page 17 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes
post #481 of 490 Old 02-24-2015, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 3
For anyone experiencing the Netflix DD+ "chirping" audio distortion issue on a Denon AVR, I just wanted to post an update here that I got back in town last night and checked to see if the new firmware released last week did anything to resolve the problem. Surprise! It doesn't. Considering how they've been aware of this issue since July 2014 and have been unable to provide any firmware updates to address this or even comment on the issue beyond "we've been able to reproduce this issue and we're working on it", it seems very unlikely that this will ever be fixed. I've been calling in to customer service every few days for the past 2 weeks trying to get some sort of update on this, and the CS reps are never able to get any kind of response from the team supposedly working on it and just tell me to call back in a few days if I haven't gotten a call from them yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 490 Old 03-01-2015, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Keep us posted if you hear anything, Cheesebach. Only noticed this issue with my Denon avr x2000 while watching House of Cards today. What I'm getting is an occasional hiss like sound coming from the left surround speaker. Updated to latest firmware but no joy there. It's still watchable but very irritating!
post #483 of 490 Old 03-01-2015, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I contact Netflix every week they tell me they are working on it. I even fave them a link to this forum for that can see all the people having this problem. I don't get it Vudu DD+ works great.
post #484 of 490 Old 03-02-2015, 12:42 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamafan35611 View Post
I contact Netflix every week they tell me they are working on it. I even fave them a link to this forum for that can see all the people having this problem. I don't get it Vudu DD+ works great.
Probably Netflix uses different set of DD+ encoding tools than Vudu. Therefore DD+ streams from Vudu work on all DD+ decoders and you don't hear the audio issues.

Last edited by Zuah; 03-02-2015 at 03:26 AM.
post #485 of 490 Old 03-10-2015, 10:35 AM

Liked: 0
I have the problem with chirping sounds in rear left channel with a AVR-3312 and have taken in action with the german Denon support.

I have referenced to this thread and give them examples for Netlix stuff where this issue will be reproduceable.

They have tried out in a lab with a 4520 because they haven´t a 3312 in stock. Unfortunatelly they couldn´t find out any sound issues.

They told me that perhabs there will be a hardware problem. But I couln´t imagine...
post #486 of 490 Old 03-19-2015, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post
U missed the major point...
Dolby updated the Dolby Digital + software in early 2011 to accomodate the rapidly growing categories of smart phones & tablets.. ALL Dolby Digital licensees (including Denon) received this information in advance so they could integrate this into their respective AVRs..
The Denon issue was due to the fact Denon took NO ACTION and decided to wait for implementing the new Dolby Digital + software....
Just my $0.02..

So what about the HK AVR3600? Its DD Plus capable.
I have Apple TV to stream 5.1, as my '09 MacBook Pro does not have HDMI. So only stereo out.

Tuned to Netflix, the 3600 sometimes shows DD 3/2.1 EX-off.
Other times, just DD.

The 3600 manual says that DD EX can be manually turned on, even if there is no EX stream...but it does not tell how to do it.
Going to the audio mode button, never shows the EX option.
The only option is DPLllx, and its nowhere as good as L7, which the 3600 will NOT lay over DD.

Custom, one of a kind pair, MJC212 mains, mod PT800 center, PT800 surrounds, SUB1500s. Parasound P7, Citation 19, Parasound HCA2205A, HK AVR3600, Marantz TT, Denon disc player, MacBook Pro w/ DragonFly DAC.
post #487 of 490 Old 03-19-2015, 05:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post
So what about the HK AVR3600? Its DD Plus capable.
I have Apple TV to stream 5.1, as my '09 MacBook Pro does not have HDMI. So only stereo out.

Tuned to Netflix, the 3600 sometimes shows DD 3/2.1 EX-off.
Other times, just DD.

The 3600 manual says that DD EX can be manually turned on, even if there is no EX stream...but it does not tell how to do it.
Going to the audio mode button, never shows the EX option.
The only option is DPLllx, and its nowhere as good as L7, which the 3600 will NOT lay over DD.
Dolby Digital Ex is electrically equivalent to Dolby Digital + PLIIx Movie, Dolby does not recommend use of a Center back surround as it can produce a distracting "hot spot" behind the listener. Also note not all sources include an Ex flag, the factory default should be Dolby Digital + PLIIx Movie mode.

The 3600 cannot overlay Logic 7 as its DSP (CS49704) doesn't have enough processing resources. The only HK AVRs with that capabilty are the ones using the TI DSPs, such as the 645, 745, 650, 750 and 7550HD.

Just my $0.02..
post #488 of 490 Old 03-19-2015, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post
Dolby Digital Ex is electrically equivalent to Dolby Digital + PLIIx Movie, Dolby does not recommend use of a Center back surround as it can produce a distracting "hot spot" behind the listener. Also note not all sources include an Ex flag, the factory default should be Dolby Digital + PLIIx Movie mode.

The 3600 cannot overlay Logic 7 as its DSP (CS49704) doesn't have enough processing resources. The only HK AVRs with that capabilty are the ones using the TI DSPs, such as the 645, 745, 650, 750 and 7550HD.

Just my $0.02..
When I take the DD 5.1 and change to DPLllx, the dynamics are just not there, compared to DD 5.1. Seems more like the old DPL before DD came along.

So if I understand you correctly, when the manual says that EX can be manually turned on, it really means using DPLllx?
Or is it more the fact, maybe Apple TV can not pass DD EX?
So I assume that is why I see the AVR showing 3/2.1 EX-off.

From what I read Dolby says DD EX is a single back channel played through either one or two speakers (I use two). And I already knew that not all movies had the EX flag, thus some read just DD, not DD 3/2.1 EX-off.

My old 635 could over lay L7 on any source. Other than the 3600 having HDMI, I consider the 635 to be far superior. Wish I still had it.

Custom, one of a kind pair, MJC212 mains, mod PT800 center, PT800 surrounds, SUB1500s. Parasound P7, Citation 19, Parasound HCA2205A, HK AVR3600, Marantz TT, Denon disc player, MacBook Pro w/ DragonFly DAC.

Last edited by 4DHD; 03-19-2015 at 07:36 PM.
post #489 of 490 Old 03-21-2015, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Ugh I've been noticing this a lot lately on my Marantz NR-1605 receiver. I've been thinking maybe something is wrong with my hardware. After browsing this thread it seems to be a Denon/Marantz issue. I've noticed it with House of Cards and Breaking Bad streamed from Netflix via an Apple TV 3rd Gen. It seems to help if I lower the input to - 3db or so.

It's frustrating though. Especially since the hbo go app on Apple TV has low output (and crappy compressed sound) so when I lower the input trim it makes that worse.
post #490 of 490 Unread Today, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Marantz 6007 here with the same issue - must be a netflix issue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 591 Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version