Dolby Digital Plus and Netflix on Various AVRs - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
post #511 of 520 Old 06-11-2015, 04:43 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4425 Post(s)
Liked: 2378
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwheels View Post
Also the article link above pertaining to the issue when using Sony receivers is kind of strange, it just says you should switch the audio feed on Netflix from 5.1 to stereo, which doesn't solve the issue. Unless I'm missing something and somehow doing so will still broadcast in 5.1?
Netflix will broadcast in stereo and the AVR can simulate 5.1 audio using one of several simulation modes depending on the brand/model: DD PLII, Dolby Surround, DTS Neo:6, or DTS Neo:X.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 520 Old 06-13-2015, 04:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Netflix will broadcast in stereo and the AVR can simulate 5.1 audio using one of several simulation modes depending on the brand/model: DD PLII, Dolby Surround, DTS Neo:6, or DTS Neo:X.
But this doesn't solve the issue. If 5.1 is broken, then listening to 2 channels in simulated 5.1 isn't a fix, it's a workaround, and a poor one in my opinion. (from a manufacturer/Netflix point of view)

It seems this is just going to continue to be an issue for many of us. My work around is streaming via ChromeCast instead of Apple TV, which seems to help.
post #513 of 520 Old 06-13-2015, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewieez View Post
My work around is streaming via ChromeCast instead of Apple TV, which seems to help.
That seems unusual. Is it using DD+ when you're streaming via Chromecast? From what I can tell typically the issue occurs primarily with Chromecast since it only uses DD+ if the receiver supports it.
post #514 of 520 Old 06-15-2015, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Use stereo stream as an alternative, seriously?

I can confirm I have this problem on my Denon AVR-790, but not my Onkyo TX-SR308. I contacted Denon support; Rep claimed they haven't seen any issues with DD+ specifically. I know that's a lie, and I politely told him so.
I see people on this forum offering the following solution: "Use the stereo stream and then run simulated surround on your receiver."
There are two major flaws with this 'solution'.
As others have pointed out, that isn't as good as real studio mixed discrete surround sound. But more importantly to me:
Has anyone actually listened to the stereo mix on a decent system? With or without a simulation up-mixer, it sounds like garbage! The digital compression artifacts make most films nearly unwatchable IMO. In fact, I much prefer the DD+ stream down-mixed to stereo over the actual stereo stream for headphone/stereo use because the DD+ has less noticeable compression.
One solution is to have the playback device do the decoding to MultiCh PCM. Many lower cost devices can't, unfortunately. Netlfix for Windows 8 can, though. Just go into the sound settings in Windows and set to output 5.1 PCM over HDMI, and turn off the two exclusive/priority options. That disables the ability to bitstream, so Windows has to do the DD+ decoding.
richeydog likes this.

Last edited by kitti; 06-18-2015 at 10:03 AM. Reason: clarified model #
post #515 of 520 Old 06-16-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourworm View Post
That seems unusual. Is it using DD+ when you're streaming via Chromecast? From what I can tell typically the issue occurs primarily with Chromecast since it only uses DD+ if the receiver supports it.
Yes, DD+ on ChromeCast. I don't notice the issue as much as I do when streaming through appletv so it works for me. I generally stream from android phone, to ChromeCast.

So I'd add for me, the problem is much worse with Appletv and Netflix.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
post #516 of 520 Old 06-17-2015, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewieez View Post
I don't notice the issue as much as I do when streaming through appletv
I am confused why apple tv is causing an issue for you, it doesn't support dolby digital plus (just plain dolby digital). I often use it for Netflix instead of my TiVo to avoid the distortion on my older Denon 889.
post #517 of 520 Old 06-18-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeboo View Post
I am confused why apple tv is causing an issue for you, it doesn't support dolby digital plus (just plain dolby digital). I often use it for Netflix instead of my TiVo to avoid the distortion on my older Denon 889.
Hmm you're right, however, it clips heavily in the center channel frequently. Maybe a totally separate problem.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
post #518 of 520 Old 06-30-2015, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
First time posting, just want to add my experience with this issue:

I have a Marantz NR1403 and was experiencing bad issues in the center channel on Netflix DD+ (and no problem other DD+ sources or Netflix Dolby or stereo sources), streaming from both Roku3 and Samsung Smart Blu-Ray player.

There's an article on Marantz support recommending a firmware update for this issue, which I had done recently.

This solved that main issue, but I do still hear audio artifacts in the surround channels, both front and rear. Marantz support concluded that there must be something wrong with the Netflix stream. That would surprise me. From what I'm reading and my experience, it seems like Netflix just uses a slightly different encoding/streaming of DD+ that messes with some receivers.

Workarounds that don't work for me:
-Roku 3 PCM: apparently this always downsamples to stereo, not sure if that's by design? Even when I set it not to.
-5.1 PCM from Blu-Ray player: for whatever reason, it will decode DD+ from disc and send it as PCM signal, but will only bitstream from streaming sources
-Simulated 5.1: not great on this AVR

Hopefully I didn't mess up my first post too much, just wanted to add my experience to the conversation.
post #519 of 520 Old 06-30-2015, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalvan View Post
I have a Marantz NR1403 and was experiencing bad issues in the center channel on Netflix DD+ (and no problem other DD+ sources or Netflix Dolby or stereo sources), streaming from both Roku3 and Samsung Smart Blu-Ray player.

There's an article on Marantz support recommending a firmware update for this issue, which I had done recently.

This solved that main issue, but I do still hear audio artifacts in the surround channels, both front and rear. Marantz support concluded that there must be something wrong with the Netflix stream. That would surprise me. From what I'm reading and my experience, it seems like Netflix just uses a slightly different encoding/streaming of DD+ that messes with some receivers.
Thanks for posting and sharing your experience with the NR1403 here. From the users that have posted here, the DD+ audio artifacts that sound like chirps/beeps in the surround speakers seem to be an issue only with the Denon & Marantz AVRs. I don't think I have seen anyone post here with that specific complaint with any other brand of receiver. I have the Denon X4000 myself, and have been struggling to get any resolution from Denon on the issue since reporting the problem back in November of 2014.

In my case, I actually had a very helpful customer service rep take my phone call the second time I called about it, and he was willing to take note of a few scenes in shows that were particularly bothersome to me and try listening to them on their setup rather than trying to blame the source content. I had also explained to him that I didn't hear the issue when I used my PS3 to decode the DD+ instead of bitstreaming it to the AVR. In a few hours, he called me back saying he heard the same problem with their unit and agreed there was a problem with the decoding happening in the receiver, and would escalate the issue to the engineering team.

Unfortunately, 7 months later, and that's still where this problem is sitting. Actually, if you go back further in the thread, you'll see that someone else has had an open case with Denon regarding this problem since July of last year. It's been about a month since I last called them, so I'm probably due for my monthly check-in with their customer service team to see if they can give me any update or ETA. I wouldn't expect any news from their side based on my past experience, but if I do hear something, I'll be sure to let you know back here. I'm not sure if Marantz and Denon have the same engineering team for these kind of issues, but it might be helpful for you to call back and tell them that Denon has already reproduced the issue and has had at least 2 open cases sitting in their engineering team's queue for several months now. Good luck, and keep us posted on any news from the Marantz side!
post #520 of 520 Unread Today, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Just adding my two cents.
PS3 to Pioneer receiver - sibilance with Netflix Dolby Digital. Some programs I don't notice it, others are completely unbearable. 9 times out of 10 I just go old school and select stereo then up-convert to Pro-Logic. A compromise for sure, and part of the reason I still by Blu-rays even when the movie is on Netflix. Some frustrations just aren't worth the hassle to resolve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 591 Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page