AVS Forum banner

Dolby Digital Plus and Netflix on Various AVRs

167K views 694 replies 184 participants last post by  afrogt 
#1 ·
Hey guys, hope everyone is well!

I have a problem with DD+ and Netflix on both my PS3 and my Chromecast. It seems as though when Dolby Digital + is selected on seemingly any show/movie that supports 5.1 I get audio clipping in the center channel. This happens with Audyssey on/off, Dynamic volume on/off...none of these seem to matter. Even when I force it to stereo I still hear the clipping. I've seen at least 2 other complaints from people on different devices on the internet, one being a Roku.

Here's the thing, if I disable DD+ on the PS3 then it will revert to regular DD 5.1 and it sounds terrific. Also when I force Netflix to stream in Stereo there is no distortion. Is my Denon 591 having issues decoding the DD+? Every other sound format seems to work great, including TrueHD and DTS HD, etc....

Anyone else experience this? I can't really seem to find any other source to test this with or test file that bitstreams DD+ so my receiver can decode it. I'm tempted to buy a movie on Vudu because I believe the HDX does DD+.

Thanks guys!

See less See more
#389 ·
so i have a 2012-2013 receiver with DD+ to set my bluray to PCM lol, so i guess i sell the "new" and use the old sony(2003) receiver that can handle Dolby PLII, set the receiver to PCM make the receiver kinda "guess" which sound goes to which speaker, its not like DD or DD+ where the receiver knows what to play in each speaker. Have an receiver and set the source of sound to PCM is kinda silly, thats why i was asking about the appletv, coz i know the appletv output is DD only,
and probably the stupid denon receiver knows what to play in each speaker.

#390 ·
Some bd players and most tv's can only send stereo PCM and yours seem to be one of them. I'm getting a little spoiled with this Oppo, since it can decode anything under the sun to a 7.1 track, and PCM in my case just moves the decoding from the AVR to the BD player without any audible difference (and bypassing my avrs dd+ decoding and it's errors)

As for Pro logic, it actually sounds more like that feature is up and running since you are pretty much describing what that sounds like with stereo sources.
I would be very suprised if your current Denon didn't support Dolby PL (they may now be calling it IIx or IIz,), I have 3 avr's over the last decade and they have all supported it, including my latest Denon, and what you describe as the receiver "guessing" sounds like one of the stereo to surround matrix features are in use.

Anyhoo, just mentioned it since it for me was a free fix, but sadly seems to not work for you :(
If possible I would recommend testing an apple tv first but as you say, it should work since it won't feed a dd+ signal, in fact it is only this latest version of dd+ that causes issue for me at least, others like vudu sounds just fine.

#393 ·
I'm also having this issue, and have been providing regular updates regarding my experience with Denon customer service over in the 2013 Denon models official thread since I first reported the issue to Denon earlier this month. I'm using an X4000 that I purchased in October. So far, there have been reports of this issue on several different Denon models across at least 3 different model years. I encourage you to report this issue with Denon customer service so that it will hopefully help to get some attention from Denon's engineering team. If you look back in this thread and in the 2013 Denon official thread, you'll see that Denon has apparently been aware of this issue since July and there still hasn't been any communication on when we might see a fix. My case was given to the development team to look into just short of 2 weeks ago after the customer service rep was able to confirm it. I'm hoping to hear something back regarding if/when there will be a solution in the next week or so. I'll post any updates I receive here when I get any news from Denon.

#394 ·
I also have been in communication with Denon in regards to a permanent solution. I will update on this thread and the x-series owners thread as previously mentioned in this post if I hear anything. Again, I highly encourage others to report this to Denon as it may allow for us to reach a quicker solution.

#395 ·
I've been following this forum for 14 months but this is my first post. It was because of this thread that I diagnosed the problem in the first place.

I used to own the AVR-591 which apparently supported DD+. As this forum states, the DD+ codec has "evolved" since its initial release and some receivers can't have their codec fixed or the manufacturer isn't willing to fix it.

I switched to the Yamaha 577 to hopefully avoid this problem from happening again - it's a Wifi receiver so it's better able to accept updates, and the manufacturer may be more willing to work on them for this reason.

What I've learned: If your device STILL can't play DD+ properly:
- switch your outputting device to PCM
- get a non-DD+ Netflix device
- by a new receiver

If your device manufacturer is still having issues with this (14 months later!), give up on a fix and avoid that device in the future.

Personally, I will never buy a Denon receiver ever again in my life and I would recommend that same to others.

#396 ·
I have 3 Denon receivers including the AVR-591 and have never had a DD+ problem with any of them. I'm actually watching Californication via Netflix right now in DD+ on my 591 using a Roku 3. I've also used two Panasonic BD players and streamed Netflix from those also with no problems.

Sorry you're having such a problem with your Denon.

#397 ·
You seem to be the only one NOT having an issue with your Denon. It must have to do with how the Roku 3 and Panasonic receive, processe and/or outputs the DD+ signal. Do you have them set to output PCM? Does your receiver show DD+?

This same issue on the AVR-591 was:
1. Replicated by several others on here;
2. Occurs with at least the PS3, Chromecast and Sony 6200;
3. Acknowledged by Denon;
4. Closed as, "Unsolvable" by Denon in February 2014.

By releasing in May 2010 and leaving a known issue as unsolvable less than 4 years later, this is beyond irresponsible.

#400 ·
Thinking again, if your firmware was different and it worked for you, they easily could've given it to everyone else with this model. Simple and fast fix.

Just know you're the exception. The problem was first spotted in October 2013 and they wouldn't release a fix despite the item being slightly more than 3 years old.

#401 ·
Regarding Denon AVRs...
The problem lies with Denon, the updated software for Dolby Digital + was available for implementation into the respective AVRs but unfortunately Denon chose to use the older, incompatible software.. Since NetFlix is being downloaded by 42 million users in North America and found in virtually all later smart TVs & DVRs, not including this update was a major strategic error in judgement by Denon...:rolleyes:

However on a positive note...
In the meantime they have responded and have been delivering updated firmware addressing this..

Just my $0.02... ;)

#402 ·
True. But they only chose to support SOME 2011 models and left 2010 models out in the cold. I'm glad that they took a more positive approach to users with systems less than 2 years old, but the rest of us got nothing less than a big, fat nothing.

And remember: these models they chose to not support were sold as Dolby Digital Plus units. Fast forward two years, and they weren't.

#413 ·
I'm having the same type of issue using a Denon S900w w/ the latest firmware and a Chromecast on Netflix.

Intermittent chirping in the left channel during moderately heavy surround activity. Good material to test is any Friends episode when the laugh track hits.

Has to be the same deal as I get fine audio with my PS4 and Apple TV-- so it's just when the Denon decodes the Plus soundtrack itself.

I'm also getting sibilance in the center which comes and goes with my Apple TV-- so pretty much just using my PS4 to stream these days. :mad:

#417 ·
Be advised that NetFlix has announced that it is going to start designating some new sets as NetFlix Recommended starting in March. NetFlix wants to highlight sets that come with consumer benefits including turning the TV on instantly, faster app launch, faster resume of video playback and proper audio decoding.

This will be done by putting a new NetFlix Recommended logo, certain sets from Sony, LG Electronics, Sharp Electronics, Vizio and some Roku TVs will apply this. NetFlix advises that is being done as an independent TV evaluation program to help consumers identify which TVs do the best job delivering NetFlix content. NetFlix has >50 million global subscribers, and a 35% market penetration in the USA. So being most compatible with NetFlix is a major feature for a TV brand.

Just my $0.02... ;)

#426 ·
So I don't believe this problem is just localized to Netflix anymore after watching Band of Brothers with Amazon instant video on the Amazon Fire TV Stick last night on my AVR-2312. I could hear the same lisp/distortion in scenes during the show on the DD+ soundtrack. I do know that I never had this problem on my Roku 2XS which that only output the standard DD track. Can anyone confirm this? If anyone needs examples let me know and I'll try to provide some.

I have sound problems on both Roku 2 XS with Netflix DD+ and Fire TV Stick on Netflix and Amazon Instant. Hoping we can get a fix in the near future.

#427 ·
I have recently purchased a Denon AVR 4520, and I am getting this weird chirping noise when playing Netflix from my HTPC with DD+ :( It doesn't happen when using stereo. I have the latest firmware on my Denon - is there anything I can do to fix this? Isnt the bug supposed to have been fixed for my receiver?

#428 ·
I have experienced two separate issues playing DD+ from Netflix on my Denon E400. The first was a noticeable distortion from the center channel primarily when someone was speaking (I think mostly when they said "f" and "s" sounds). This issue was fixed for me in an update last spring. I believe other new Denon models received this update as well to address this issue, but I can't say for certainty if the 4520 was included or not. The second issue appeared to start after the update and is what I describe as a chirping noise noticeable from my rear left channel. This issue is still present for me. Others have described the same problem and have said they made contact with Denon support (a couple months ago now) who confirmed the issue and that the engineers were looking into it.

#431 ·
Integra 40.4

I've been getting a really muddy sound from my front and rear speakers watching Netflix through a Roku 2XS. The sound is remarkably poor. Dialog is fine, but the sound is just so annoying. I don't see any fix on the Integra site, so I'm wondering if Integra/Onkyo is dealing with the new Dolby + codecs or if they are taking the "Samsung" route? I don't have clipping or chirps. All other audio sources sound awesome.

#447 ·
There was some discussion a couple months back with some good examples over in the 2013 model Official Owners Thread. Here is a post from that thread which mentions the scenes that others and myself found to have the issue, along with a recording of one of those where you can hear the chirping:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1465528-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owner-s-thread-faq-317.html#post29499762

To save a bit of reading for anyone who's interested, they were:
1) The Following, S02E10: 40:00 to 40:30
2) Breaking Bad s01e01: 3:30-4:00
3) Bad Santa: 6:30 - 7:00

The issue does not seem to be dependent on the source based on input from users who have the problem. However, not all sources are capable or configured by default to bitstream DD+ to the AVR. Unless you see "Dolby Digital +" or something similar on the display of your receiver while watching a 5.1 Netflix stream, your source is decoding the audio so you won't hear the problem, even if your AVR is affected.

Any title that has dd+
In my experience, the issue is much more prevalent during certain titles/scenes than others, even though any dd+ material has the potential to have the problem. I think it's unlikely that someone would be able to hear the problem, especially without having heard the noise before, just by playing a couple of minutes of a randomly chosen dd+ stream.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.