Questions on hooking up VSX-1121-k - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
Old 10-01-2013, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I'm trying to work around a lighting strike damaged 1121. The main, (and pretty much only) issue is that the one hdmi out port has been fried, so I have no hdmi-to-TV connection possible.

I will route my cable box to the receiver via component video and dig coax audio, then on to the TV via more component vid, and possibly stereo patch audio cables? Would I be better off going striaght to the TV with the component cables?

For my Blue Ray, I'm thinking hdmi direct to the TV (the only way to get 1080p to my TV), then either the TV optical audio out to the receiver, or perhaps BDP optical audio direct to the receiver. Would the TV pass the full surround signal on to the receiver over optical audio after getting it as HDMI? I'm leaning toward direct optical audio from bdp to receiver.

For internet streaming, my TV is wifi enabled, so pulls in Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, etc itself. I'm assuming the audio will pass to the receiver over digital out.

I also have a roku, which could stream some channels not included on the TV (I'm thinking Pandora specifically). If I connect the roku to the TV over hdmi, will the audio flow on to the receiver over the optical audio out?

This is all for two reasons - I'd rather not incur the expense of getting a new receiver (this one is less than 2yrs old, and I really like the sound), OR I'd rather not take the current one out of commission while it is repaired and endure the hassle having to unhook current receiver, rehook a substitute, unhook substitute, rehook current receiver.

Any advice is welcome. The 90's are back in style!

Pioneer Vsx 1121 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver Glossy Black