HDMI board wanted for 2808ci or AVR988 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 10-02-2013, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Lightning sent a surge thru my coax just big enough to take out the HDMI ports on ALL my components, Denon 2808, Sharp 60" LCD, and Explorer DVR (that was easy enough to replace for free, from TWcable) I am looking for a used, whole unit: AVR2808CI or AVR988 or just the board "Digital Unit Assy" P/N 1U3838A. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-02-2013, 06:21 PM

Liked: 10
You have home insurance your insurance company would pay for ti get fixed or all of your electronics in your house . You can buy a new hdmi board for like 330.00 dollars new from ecompass parts . I would check if your insurance would cover you if oyur in a house most of the times your covered against lighting strikes or power surges from lighting strikes . If not then you have to bite the bullet and spend the money if you really want it fixed too .Man I hope you can get it fixed .post if you have any questions
post #3 of 11 Old 10-02-2013, 06:28 PM

by the way that's the receiver doing . Just wondering so .
post #4 of 11 Old 10-02-2013, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I did consider that....I don't have the insiurance.....renting short term....overlooked the renter's ins. I was lucky to have the ext warranty on the LCD...they came to my house and replaced the board and voila! free, for once! As for my surround sound w/ video. I am do a work-around by going direct hdmi to the display and optical for the audio to the 2808

post #5 of 11 Old 10-02-2013, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rspeer88 View Post

Thanks. I did consider that....I don't have the insiurance.....renting short term....overlooked the renter's ins. I was lucky to have the ext warranty on the LCD...they came to my house and replaced the board and voila! free, for once! As for my surround sound w/ video. I am do a work-around by going direct hdmi to the display and optical for the audio to the 2808

Do you have DirecTV? They have a protection plan that covers all electronics. I never thought I would recommend it since its flushing $$$ down the toilet. However, in your case, $7 a month or whatever to protect your electronics is a lot cheaper then renters insurance. Who cares if the house itself burns down? It ain't yours lol smile.gif... j/k (sort of).
duckland23 likes this.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-02-2013, 09:59 PM

You know I just bought a DENON 2809CI from eBay for 55.00 dollars just some days ago . If I knew you needed the hdmi board I would of just told you to bid for it . But I asked ther seller to place a buy it now price on . But He also was experiencing the same problem as you with the hdmi . everthing else works as he tells me . If for some reason I don't like it because Im more of a Marantz guy I can sell it to you . we have to see . Your sure your hdmi board is shot in it . You cjheck your power supply ?.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-03-2013, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I did check the PS. I also saw some 2808 units on ebay but they were a little too expensive. Thanks for the suggestions. I've been doing some research and it seems that the HDMI circuits are very sensitive to ESD and other electrical disturbances. I believe it must be the IC or IC's downstrream from the port itself. There was no visible scorching. I had 2 solid layers of AC protection; a APS UPS and a Monster power conditioner where all the components were plugged into. The UPS is nice because when the power, around here, falters, it always goes on and off 2, 3 or 4 times quickly before shutting down for the hour or 2 that is typical. Man, I hate to see that happen to my gear so the UPS keeps everything on until I can shut down.

post #8 of 11 Old 10-03-2013, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckland23 View Post

by the way that's the receiver doing . Just wondering so .

I just realized you were asking "WHAT's the rec'v'r doing". I didnt know what you were asking. Anyway, it is performing beautifully, just can't use the HDMI ins and outs. A bit more hassle, like 2 long HDMI cables to the Sharp aquos. And I have to change the inputs on the display ..which is not the smoothest operation. For some reason, the Sharp 60" alwys makes me click the "input" button at least twice to bring up the options. I wonder if there is some way I could simply "toggle" between the 2....HDMI 1 and HDMI 2.

For the audio, I ran toslink directly to the default input and am using digital coax for the bluray. 

post #9 of 11 Old 10-03-2013, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Doesn't that Monster coved this kind of stuff? Why have a power protector if it isn't going to work or at least be guaranteed to cover this kind of stuff?
post #10 of 11 Old 10-03-2013, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

The Monster is older and I bought it 2nd-hand. Also, the coax coming in from the pole was un-protected. i didn't try to contact Monster...yet. I doubt they would help me, under those circumstances. I ordered an in-line coax surge protector to put in where the cable enters the whole house. Our cable line from the pole, is buried and runs 200ft to the house. The lightning struck the ground (apparently) and wiped out the coax. there was a 20dB attenuation from the pole to the house. Time Warner laid down a new length of coax but said they couldn't bury it til next spring! So we did it ourselves. I've done some research and found that a lot of people had damage to equipment, much of that to the HDMI ports.

post #11 of 11 Old 10-03-2013, 12:44 PM

that's time warmer for you they did the same thing to me for my coax cable it was shot and they laid down a new cable underground and told me they would come back in spring . It took them two years to burry the cable in the ground . You have to keep calling them and make them come out and finish the job , after all your paying the bill right . Then they should finish righ. They wouldn't like it if you told them Ill come back in spring and fix there furnace right , you know that they would be doing calling your service company .Just make them come back and finish .
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2808ci Receiver , Denon Avr 988 7 1 Channel Multizone Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread - 2808ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page