Keep blowing tweeters in my JBL L890 Tower speakers. Help me! Need more power! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 10-02-2013, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok guys here's the facts (The Good):

2 JBL L890 Tower speakers (250 watts RMS, 500 peak)
2 JBL 12" L8400 powered woofers Subwoofers
Good so far right?

The bad :

Receiver - Harmon Kardon HK 3490 (120 watts x 2) (I apologize in advance I was a noob when I bought all this stuff)

So , I am under powering my 2 gigantic speakers by a lot. I thought that was ok, and after reading this awesome forum, its very bad. The receiver was 500$ ish bucks and was expensive i thought it would get the job done, and it does to some extent. However I throw a lot of parties with a lot drunk people and we like to crank that receiver to the max. So much that it overheats and shuts off 2-3 times a night. Sorry but when I'm drunk i want hear it loud as possible. So I have blown my tweeters twice now and this is getting old fast. I spoke to some guys and they suggested I need a POWER AMP. I am new to this game and completely unsure what to get.

After looking around the net, the crown audio amplifiers seem to be nice, but they seem to be for DJ setups and for mobile. I just need something to put in my house to power these big speakers. I do not want to buy the wrong thing and REALLY APPRECIATE some suggestions on what to get.

So Questions:

1. I already have $500 invested into the receiver, which im afraid is now worthless (since its not enough power)?
2. What Power amp do i buy that is best for these 2 big speakers? (would like to keep around $500 budget unless you can convince me otherwise) What kinda wattage should i be looking for?
3. Can i hook the power amp directly into my receiver and just be done with it? or is there more involved? When I look at the crown audio power amps, I only see 2 speaker connections in the back (2 sets of red/black). My speakers use 2 sets of red/black EACH so how does this come into play?

I REALLY APPRECIATE any help, if you took the time to read this.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-02-2013, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 266
What you need are high sensitivity speakers that can take a lot of power. This way your ears will bleed before blowing out a tweeter lol.

Your speakers are rated for 250w and have a sensitivity of 91db. Feeding one speaker 250w at a distance of 10ft will get you about 105db, technically... Let's say your receiver outputs 120w, that would be 102db at 10ft.

Only a 3db difference going from receiver power to a dedicated amp. Not worth it IMO, best to get new speakers that can take the abuse.
post #3 of 14 Old 10-02-2013, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Two options:

One, get higher sensitivity speakers to play at the levels you are demanding
or
Two, set a volume limiting setting on your receiver to make sure no one turns it up past a certain volume, drunk or not.

If your receiver is going into protection mode 2-3 times a night, you are driving it too hard, which is not necessarily lack of power from the receiver causing the issue but rather low speaker sensitivity coupled with outrageously high output expectation.

If you are dead set on playing LOUD, look into a speaker with a big woofer and compression tweeter (a la JBL Cinema type speakers or anything meant for professional DJ's).
post #4 of 14 Old 10-02-2013, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Before condemning the loudspeakers and receiver.. 😏
What source are you using when playing @ high levels..
Certain sources especially an iPod or compressed audio source can contain high levels of distortion..
High power with distortion will destroy any loudspeaker regardless of price or brand..
A couple of other crucial factors is room size, and average SPL level..

Just my $0.05.... 👍😉
post #5 of 14 Old 10-02-2013, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

I can understand new speakers would get the job done, but would like to consider other options before that route (I am still under powering the current speakers with the current receiver). I love watching movies with these speakers, they have 2 8" woofers in each to deliver good mid rage sound. I do not wish to go surround sound and the living room is really setup to accommodate 2 large floor speakers with some hidden sub woofers near the couches.

The receiver is overheating because I am pushing it to the limits to play the speakers (literally turning it all the way up sometimes). At an extended period of time playing it very loud, the receiver is very hot and shuts itself off for a minute. From what I read online - under powering speakers is a good cause of blown tweeters. My theory is that a more powerful power amp would power the speakers properly getting the best sound out of them, as well as not needing to turn it all the way up in order to get extreme sound. Please correct me if this is wrong.
post #6 of 14 Old 10-02-2013, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Typically the music is played from a phone that is plugged into the receiver via RCA to aux cord. However I have a friend that come overs to "DJ" and brings his laptop and mixerboard (also hooked in via RCA cables) I am unsure currently his setup but could find out if that makes any difference. Is there a better way to source the music that can be done via internet for on demand music request?

Room size is slightly awkward. It is a normal living room (25ftX25ft) 3 walls. 4th wall is only 4 feet and opens up into the large room that is 25ftX30ft. So the sound is dispersed into a 50ftx30ft room.
post #7 of 14 Old 10-03-2013, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 55
When you setup your receiver did you level match your speakers? I.E. - did you use the receivers built-in test tones to set the dB levels of the two JBL tower speakers to both read 75dB on an SPL meter at your listening position (the spot you most frequently watch from)?

Also, what "volume" do you usually listen at when it goes into protection mode? (what does the number say on the receivers front display for volume)
post #8 of 14 Old 10-07-2013, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

I was unaware I can modify the dB levels from my harmon kardon receiver. The Amp goes into protection mode when the volume is turned all the way up, maybe a few down from the max.

I took a set of tweeters from a different speaker and plugged them into my (what i thought was blown tweeters on my L890s) and no sound came from the tweeter. This is suggesting to me that some other component has been damaged (crossover maybe?).

A key issue here is that I am under powering these speakers, which cannot be a good thing. I am looking to correctly power them with a power amp so see if this problem will stop occurring. However I do not know anything about brands or kinds of power amps that I should buy to power my 2 L890s

Can anyone offer a few suggestions for amps? not receivers? that will have 250x2 watts minimum at 8 ohms?
post #9 of 14 Old 10-07-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotAViper View Post

Ok guys here's the facts (The Good):

2 JBL L890 Tower speakers (250 watts RMS, 500 peak)
2 JBL 12" L8400 powered woofers Subwoofers
Good so far right?

The bad :

Receiver - Harmon Kardon HK 3490 (120 watts x 2) (I apologize in advance I was a noob when I bought all this stuff)

So , I am under powering my 2 gigantic speakers by a lot. I thought that was ok, and after reading this awesome forum, its very bad. The receiver was 500$ ish bucks and was expensive i thought it would get the job done, and it does to some extent. However I throw a lot of parties with a lot drunk people and we like to crank that receiver to the max. So much that it overheats and shuts off 2-3 times a night. Sorry but when I'm drunk i want hear it loud as possible. So I have blown my tweeters twice now and this is getting old fast. I spoke to some guys and they suggested I need a POWER AMP. I am new to this game and completely unsure what to get.

After looking around the net, the crown audio amplifiers seem to be nice, but they seem to be for DJ setups and for mobile. I just need something to put in my house to power these big speakers. I do not want to buy the wrong thing and REALLY APPRECIATE some suggestions on what to get.

So Questions:

1. I already have $500 invested into the receiver, which im afraid is now worthless (since its not enough power)?
2. What Power amp do i buy that is best for these 2 big speakers? (would like to keep around $500 budget unless you can convince me otherwise) What kinda wattage should i be looking for?
3. Can i hook the power amp directly into my receiver and just be done with it? or is there more involved? When I look at the crown audio power amps, I only see 2 speaker connections in the back (2 sets of red/black). My speakers use 2 sets of red/black EACH so how does this come into play?

I REALLY APPRECIATE any help, if you took the time to read this.

Thank you!

stop wasting time and go buy a crown xls 1500 or better xls2000 i have both and before i had the same issue with tweeters. no more theses are great amps i have had them all parasound to emo
and im never selling my crowns ever:D
post #10 of 14 Old 10-07-2013, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtwizard View Post

stop wasting time and go buy a crown xls 1500 or better xls2000 i have both and before i had the same issue with tweeters. no more theses are great amps i have had them all parasound to emo

As I mentioned 5 days ago...
You can change the amplifier and/or loudspeakers.. rolleyes.gif
However since the source has been confirmed as being a phone outputting compressed MP3 tracks, the audio stream is loaded with distortion..
High volume levels of compressed audio streams will destroy a consumer loudspeaker....
Since high SPL levels are desired, it is strongly recommended one better invest in some DJ type monitors such as from Peavey, Mackie, Cerwin Vegas or JBL EONs...

Just my $0.05... 👍😉
post #11 of 14 Old 10-07-2013, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtwizard View Post

Why go with the XLS series from crown? They seem to have so many different models (XTI, CDI, etc)I am completely clueless which is the best for my setup. Crownaudio has been highly recommend by a lot of people thou. Glad to see someone else has had my issue that was fixed with a better amp.

Also gtwizard, how do you hook these amps up into your current system. Do i hook the crown amp into my receiver? Do the speaker wires go directly into the crown amp? (I ask these dumb questions because looking at pictures of the crown amps there is only 2 sets of black/red speaker connections, when each of my speakers require 2 sets ( i need 4 total). I am unsure how the power amps tie in with the current receiver/speaker connections.
post #12 of 14 Old 10-07-2013, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

As I mentioned 5 days ago...
You can change the amplifier and/or loudspeakers.. rolleyes.gif
However since the source has been confirmed as being a phone outputting compressed MP3 tracks, the audio stream is loaded with distortion..
High volume levels of compressed audio streams will destroy a consumer loudspeaker....
Since high SPL levels are desired, it is strongly recommended one better invest in some DJ type monitors such as from Peavey, Mackie, Cerwin Vegas or JBL EONs...

Just my $0.05... 👍😉

I see what you are saying. Is there a more safer way then a phone to play music at a less distorted level? Playing from a laptop or anything help at all? Or all will be same distortion from crappy mp3 tracks? I already have the L890 speakers for 5 years now and love them for movies just trying to make them work with the loud music at the parties without having to lug out too big different dj speakers.
post #13 of 14 Old 10-07-2013, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Even with a more powerful amp I think you'll still run into problems. Like M Code posted, you need speakers that can be played loud.

Don't biamp your speakers, connect to only one set of binding posts. You should have some kind of plate connecting the two sets of posts to act like one.
post #14 of 14 Old 10-07-2013, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotAViper View Post

I see what you are saying. Is there a more safer way then a phone to play music at a less distorted level? Playing from a laptop or anything help at all? Or all will be same distortion from crappy mp3 tracks? I already have the L890 speakers for 5 years now and love them for movies just trying to make them work with the loud music at the parties without having to lug out too big different dj speakers.

Yes..
A lower level both for the incoming MP3 tracks and amplifier output to the loudspeakers will help..
But the fundamental issue remains..
Supporting a consumer home playback systems or a pro-audio DJ systems, the proper components are very different...
For the home playback system, low distortion and high sonic resolution are required...
For the pro-audio DJ system, high power handling and reliability are required. Quality sonic reproduction is nice to deliver, but higher SPL levels take a higher precedent..

Just my $0.05... 👍😉
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Jbl L890 4 Way High Performance 8 Inch Dual Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Harman Kardon Hk 3490 120 Watt Stereo Receiver , Jbl L8400p Bk 12 Inch 600 Watt Black Powered Subwoofer
Gear in this thread - L890 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page