Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-03-2013, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi There,

New to the forums. 

The house is pre-wired and already has in-ceiling speakers. There is a room that has front speakers, center speakers, and rear speakers already installed for home theater.

There is a closet already wired to control AV to these speakers. 

I want to set up a system that will allow me to watch movies/tv in the home theater and allow the wife to listen to music throughout the house. There are already volume control knobs installed in each of the rooms with speakers. Besides the home theater room, there are 7 different areas in the house with speakers(2 in each location). The same music will be playing in each of those rooms so do not need the ability to play different things in each of those rooms only home theater in the home theater room and music in the rest of the house.

The closet is already wired for ethernet as well. I would like the ability to play Itunes, Pandora, Spotify etc wirelessly from my IPAD or IPOD. 

I would like to keep cost under $5000 but understand that there might not be a viable solution in that range.

Can you help me determine what is needed to achieve the above?

Much thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-03-2013, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 190
You need to provide more information, like what connections you have in the closet. Does it have an HDMI connection for the TV? I assume it has 7 speaker wires for the home theater, correct? Does it have a subwoofer cable connection? How does it connect to the rest of the house? Is there a single RCA connection? an RCA connection for each room?
post #3 of 8 Old 10-03-2013, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Thanks for the Quick Reply!

There is HDMI for the TV in the closet and there is a subwoofer with connection available in that closet. No RCA. Speaker wires are wired directly to the closet. Currently they are connected to a speaker selector but I am trying to eliminate the speaker selector because we do not have a need for that. We want sound to go to all the rooms and then we can control the volume with the volume control knobs. 

post #4 of 8 Old 10-03-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

You're going to need to bypass the speaker selector, so open it up or look at the back and see what kind of wires you have running out the back. Regular speaker wire would make sense since it's a speaker selector, but each room has a volume knob, so it seems like you probably have an amp behind the volume control. Amps typically have RCA connections and not speaker wire. Other than the Home theater room, how many rooms do you want to play music to?
post #5 of 8 Old 10-03-2013, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Sounds similar to how my dad's house was wired for all of the other room and I went with a distribution amp, not as expensive as the one here, this was several years ago and Ican't recall the brand, but found one that looks about the same and same controls:

http://www.htd.com/Products/midlevel/basic-multi-white_2

These are set and forget in the closet and the volume controls were the same as you described, one in each room. I also tossed in a RF remote so they could control the source from any room, the output from their AV receiver to the distribution amp was the pre-out or you can also use and record out for like Tape 1, so no messing with speaker switches nor does it use up one of the A/B speaker sets if you need that.

Back of the napkin math: (For a mid-range system)

4,000 -- HDTV -- 65" (ie Pani 65ZT60)
600 -- AV Receiver (mid-consumer grade like the Sony 1800ES)
300 -- Blu-Ray Player
50 -- Ethernet switch (so you can wire all smart compoents and only use wireless on you mobile devices)
200 -- Cables if you go like MonoPrice or Amazon basics (assumes 3 HDMI, banana tips for speaker wires, cable and ethernet)
800 -- Distribution Amp for rest of the house
25 -- Plug strip (150 - 300 if you go for a UPS)
50 -- Misc hardware, like wire ties
50 -- vent fan to pull the hat air out of the closet and a nice looking grill to put in the door with a filter slot on the inside of the door
200 -- Good RF remote, something like a Harmony if you want to automate the controls (my wife loves "her" remote"
6,275 -- Little over your 5K mark, but you could pull that back in with a cheaper TV, shave a couple hundred on the receiver going one notch down, like the Sony 1040 at under 400 bucks. This assumes you will do all the work yourself or whoever does it does not charge you.

if all the speakers are built in you may want to consider new Front and center speakers, the default built-in are usually not that good, even when intended for home threater. Hopefully that put power in that closet or you will need that run in by an electrician unless you are handy with electrcal. The vent fan in my dad sitation was critical, there was no vent at all, just the crack under the door it would get way too hot in minutes just with the stuff on and not playing anything.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-04-2013, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks.

All Speaker wires. No RCAs. 

The setup before was 2 receivers. One receiver controlling the home theater and One receiver controlling sound to rest of the house.

Don't want that. 

Thanks

post #7 of 8 Old 10-04-2013, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Hi CamaroDrVr,

Already have the blu-ray player and TV so I am set there. What do you think about this?:

1. Receiver- Denon AVR-X3000

2. AMP- Niles Si-1230 

3. Universal Remote(Either Logitech or URC)

What do you think?

Thanks!

post #8 of 8 Old 10-04-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeline View Post

Thanks.

All Speaker wires. No RCAs. 

The setup before was 2 receivers. One receiver controlling the home theater and One receiver controlling sound to rest of the house.

Don't want that. 

Thanks

What do you want? 2 receivers makes the most sense to me.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Denon Avr X3000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Niles Si 1230 Systems Integration 12 Channel Power Amplifier
Gear in this thread - X3000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page