Rehash but asking for recommendations and clarification for electrical power protection - please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-03-2013, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 97
I have gone through so many threads on how to protect my system from electrical spikes and found I was far more interested in dealing with dirty power and moderate brown outs.

What do you folks recommend as a minimum to handle the above?
My system to cover includes: AVR, large plasma, BD player, TiVo

I see names bantered around such as Panamax, Furman, APC, Belkin etc. I also get contrary views on power output from some units not being true sin waves but more of a synthed step style wave and so on. It becomes really hard to tell what are the simple truths to just making sure anyone's media center is both protected and running at optimum with clean power.

I have my computers and two NAS units and other accessories with UPS units that seem to do their job well enough. For these, I just want to handle surges and as well of course, graceful shut downs of the NAS and computers when there is a power failure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-04-2013, 05:05 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 1405
Have an electrician install a whole house surge protector ... roughly $200-$250 labor/part.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 4 Old 10-04-2013, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 254
+1. That's what I did.

For brownouts I just use an APC BackUPS. If you want a cleaner output get one of their SmartUPS, but remember the only time it is on back-up power is during a glitch or brown-out. For me, I just want something to ride out a brief glitch, and/or give me time to shut everything down cleanly if it's a longer outage. Purity of the UPS does not really matter for that; the system is not running off it all the time (though it is inline, ready for that glitch).

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #4 of 4 Old 10-04-2013, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

+1. That's what I did.

For brownouts I just use an APC BackUPS. If you want a cleaner output get one of their SmartUPS, but remember the only time it is on back-up power is during a glitch or brown-out. For me, I just want something to ride out a brief glitch, and/or give me time to shut everything down cleanly if it's a longer outage. Purity of the UPS does not really matter for that; the system is not running off it all the time (though it is inline, ready for that glitch).

Alas, while I appreciate both of you being in agreement with a house based solution, I live in a flat that I rent. For me, UPS seems a viable solution for brown outs which are common here or at least drops in power (including when the AC goes on). My goal is to get clean power to my equipment and also protect in the process without spending a fortune. I am aware there will be a cost but the more I look at some of the top name brands, the more I become unsure their boasts amount to any real protection or clean power. It seems each has a different spin on the two notions.

If I am understanding correctly, some sort of power management that includes a battery or putting a UPS with a conditioner of some sort would be the only viable way to protect and provide clean power. Is this correct?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Panamax , Furman Sound , Apc

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page