How to tone down "brightness" of RX-A1020 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-04-2013, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got my hands on a slightly used - like brand new RX-A1020. I love all the features and simplified connectivity with this new receiver. My previous Yamaha RX-V1000 was about 13 years old and due for an upgrade. I have owned 2 Yamaha receivers over the past 20 years and absolutely love their sound and reliability.

Now with this new Aventage receiver I feel the sound is too "bright". Anyone know how to tone this down? I have tried tweaking the tone controls (decrease treble/increase bass) but that hasn't solved it for me. I ran the YPAO multi point setup but that wasn't to my liking either and there were some quirks to it (front speakers set to large when they are small, etc...)

I am using the same speakers, cables, source devices, etc... that I had running through my RX-V1000. Nothing else has changed other than the receiver and the fact that all my sources are HDMI connected now. In the past the audio input to the RX-V1000 was either coax, optical or analog.

Last night I popped in a couple of CD's using my Blu-Ray player to play them and they sounded to "bright" to me. I tried using the direct option with 2 channel stereo and that didn't solve it either.

Hopefully someone else has experienced this and has some recommendations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2013, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemack View Post

I just got my hands on a slightly used - like brand new RX-A1020. I love all the features and simplified connectivity with this new receiver. My previous Yamaha RX-V1000 was about 13 years old and due for an upgrade. I have owned 2 Yamaha receivers over the past 20 years and absolutely love their sound and reliability.

Now with this new Aventage receiver I feel the sound is too "bright". Anyone know how to tone this down? I have tried tweaking the tone controls (decrease treble/increase bass) but that hasn't solved it for me. I ran the YPAO multi point setup but that wasn't to my liking either and there were some quirks to it (front speakers set to large when they are small, etc...)

I am using the same speakers, cables, source devices, etc... that I had running through my RX-V1000. Nothing else has changed other than the receiver and the fact that all my sources are HDMI connected now. In the past the audio input to the RX-V1000 was either coax, optical or analog.

Last night I popped in a couple of CD's using my Blu-Ray player to play them and they sounded to "bright" to me. I tried using the direct option with 2 channel stereo and that didn't solve it either.

Hopefully someone else has experienced this and has some recommendations.

I run a RX-A3010 down in my shop and a CX-A5000 in my main room and also experienced this coming from a B&K ref 50 preamp. I also have Klipsch reference series speakers in both areas. Try changing the eq setting to "Natural" or "Front" that helped in my case. Also if you don't care for what YAPO does to your sound you can change the EQ to "through" and that will bypass the YAPO eq totally. I have found that Yamaha units have a sound of there own and by messing with the YAPO curves you can tame those "bright" bands and get them to a level you like. In my wifes listening room she also runs a RX-A3010 with POLK speakers and she does not have to mess with her settings at all. I think a lot of it depends on your speakers and your room treatments. One last thing I did that really made a difference is I after I ran YAPO I saved those settings into the second speaker pattern, then I changed the second speaker pattern to reflect that the front speakers were large with a crossover of 40hz and set the subs to extended base playback. Now when I listen to music I use pattern 2 and for movies I use pattern 1 which has the fronts set to small with a crossover of 80hz and no extra base. Hope my suggestions help you in your endeavors. I am old school and bought my first Yamaha pre-amp in 88 and was disappointed that they quit making separates, but the CX-A5000 was worth the wait. IMO it will stand up to the Marantz 8801 and in some cases with Yamaha's additional feature set has better functionality than the Marantz but both are outstanding units for there price.

Yamaha CX-A5000, ATI AT 2007 Amp (7X200W), ATI AT 2004 Amp (4X200W)Klipsch RF 63's - Main, RB 61's - Front heights, RC-62 - Center, RS-62's - Surround, RS-52's - Rear Surround, 2 Rythmik DS-1510 DIY Subwoofers (With PEQ600XLR3 Amp) each connected with Antimode 8033S-II, Oppo BDP-95, MMF-7.1, Project Phono Box RS, XBox 360, XBox One
Old 10-06-2013, 10:58 PM

Mikemack

After posting this morning I did some checking on my receiver and prepro, and to get the sound I think your looking for I would recommend putting the eq setting in "through" mode. YPAO may be boosting your treble. Try it and let me know what you think.

Smitty

Yamaha CX-A5000, ATI AT 2007 Amp (7X200W), ATI AT 2004 Amp (4X200W)Klipsch RF 63's - Main, RB 61's - Front heights, RC-62 - Center, RS-62's - Surround, RS-52's - Rear Surround, 2 Rythmik DS-1510 DIY Subwoofers (With PEQ600XLR3 Amp) each connected with Antimode 8033S-II, Oppo BDP-95, MMF-7.1, Project Phono Box RS, XBox 360, XBox One
Old 10-07-2013, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Smitty,

Thanks for the recommendations. I will try putting the EQ in "through" mode.

Hope it works.

Thanks again
Old 10-07-2013, 09:58 PM

Great, let me know what you think and hope it helps

Smitty

Tags
Yamaha Rx A1020 7 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx A1000 Receiver , Yamaha Rx A3010 Receiver , Marantz Av8801