Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-05-2013, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Location: 41.7080574, -83.5911255 N41° 42.4834', W083° 35.4675'
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 45
One word WOW!

Every week I go to my local flee market looking for something good, well today I got lucky. My old receiver was a Pioneer SX-2300 which wasn't half bad receiver but it lacked good bass response, so I had to hook up a Sony Pre-amp that had DBFB (dynamic bass feedback) to give it some "umph" but that caused distortion and frequency response issues. So I began the search for an amplifer or a good receiver.

When I walked into the flea market and saw that beautiful wood cabinet and analog style tuner I knew I had to get this. This receiver has obviously been sitting for a long time because the balance, input selector, and volume crackled and popped but the seller, who I'm friends with, told me it just needed to be clean. I got my WD-40 and my tools and began spraying all the pots. I then moved all the controls several times and then plugged her in... He was right the thing sounds brand spanking new the only flaw is the bass knob was stolen mad.gif but works perfectly fine. I plugged in my speakers hooked my speaker wire antenna and tested her out. This receiver only puts out 25 watts, which is plenty for my small bedroom, but it has no problem delivering that power and only has .04% THD (8 ohm load). The FM tuner works perfectly the tuning meter works and the tuning is pretty good. My only beef is that the tuner likes to mute when the signal weakens just a little bit.

For thirty dollars I think it's a good buy even if I do have to replace a cap a couple years down the road, don't think I will. The only thing I'm not happy with is the lack of inputs but I'm using my trusty pre-amp for the extra inputs.

I would upload pictures but my camera wouldn't do it justice.

"Then one day you find ten years have got behind you no one told when to run you missed the starting gun."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-05-2013, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Congrats on your new vintage Technics receiver! cool.gif

As far as vintage gear goes, I've always liked the look of these Technics models. A couple of years ago, I snagged a well-maintained and reconditioned SA-500 for $100, for a two-channel set-up in my family room. I loved (and still love) the vintage look, and it sounds and works great! smile.gif

post #3 of 3 Old 10-05-2013, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Location: 41.7080574, -83.5911255 N41° 42.4834', W083° 35.4675'
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

Congrats on the new vintage receiver! cool.gif

A couple of years ago, I picked up an SA-500 - in good cosmetic condition on the outside, and nicely reconditioned on the inside - for $100 for a two-channel set-up in my family room. I loved (and still love) the vintage look, and it sounds and works great! smile.gif

I love that old vintage look. I still need to go in it and clean out all the dust.

"Then one day you find ten years have got behind you no one told when to run you missed the starting gun."
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Technics

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page