Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Only plays Stereo? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-06-2013, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I've had this amp for several years but have yet to hook it up to to limitations with renting. Now that I am in a location where I could set it up I wired everythign together last night. I've got my cable box, PS3 and Apple TV wired via HDMI in to my Mitsubishi WD57734 tv, and then a digital audio out from there to my receiver. The audio plays fine through the receiver, but it only shows and plays stereo sound, and not 5.1. I've triple checked all of my input sources to make sure they are Dolby Digital 5.1 and I've even tried running an optical audio directly from both the PS3 and the Apple TV to the receiver to see if that would change anything. Unfortunately, no matter what I do, all I get is the stereo sound. If I use the remote to switch to surround, the display still only shows two speakers with information, and not all six. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Scott C

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-06-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Its because you have everything going thru the TV and then pass the audio to the receiver. Your TV is converting incoming audio to 2 channel stereo before it passes the audio to the HK. Almost all HDTV's will do this.

If you connect your sources directly to the HK 247 with HDMI it'll decode the Dolby Digital 5.1 audio you're looking for.

Unfortunately your HK only has 2 HDMI inputs so I'd recommend keeping the cable box connected to the TV with HDMI and then using an optical cable from the cable box to the HK for audio. You'll still get Dolby digital that way vs using the optical out on the TV.

Afro GT
post #3 of 5 Old 10-06-2013, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

I will try switching some cables around. I did try running optical audio directly from Apple TV to the AVR, and the HDMI to the TV for video, and still didn't get any better audio. Will the HDMI to the AVR produce more desirable results? And if I pass the video through the AVR, won't that downgrade the video from 1080 to 720?
post #4 of 5 Old 10-06-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 353
I don't own that AVR but I don't think it downgrades HDMI video. Just try it, the best way to find out.

don't have a Apple TV so not sure what 5.1 sources pass thru it.

But optical from your cable box should work for 5.1.

Afro GT
post #5 of 5 Old 11-27-2013, 10:58 AM

Good day. i hope you guys can assist me on my issue. i have an avr247 receiver connected to an LG smart tv via optical cable. i use the tv as the mp3 player and the avr247 as my sound output. i like using "logic 7 music" as my default surround when playing mp3s. my problem is, everytime the next track plays, it goes back to "surround off - stereo". i dont prefer this mode. i prefer "logic 7 music". auto polling is set to "off" already. default surround mode is already set to "off". my firmware is 2.4.22.1. date is 02-02-2008 02. thanks in advance.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Harman Kardon Avr 247 Home Theater Receiver W Hdmi Connectivity

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page