Need a reciever or amp to power 2 x Yamaha NS-AW150W - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-06-2013, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
I have a pair of Yamaha NS-AW150W mounted in my backyard, and I need a simple receiver (or amp, I guess) to power them. The only input needed will be for an airport express (analog) via RCA so that I can stream music from my computer to the airport express. Any suggestions? I may look to add 2 more speakers in the yard in the future so I may need to consider that.

Also, I have this outdoor volume control: [URL=http:// http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ANATOJK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]Monoprice RMS 100W[/URL]

Any suggestions?

I've been told that the Sherwood RX-4109 could do the trick, but I'd defer to all of your expertise. I'll want to crank the volume.

Thanks,
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-06-2013, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 56
No need for a receiver to power those outdoor speakers. This little amp will do fine.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C2P61FO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
dgoldberg likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-07-2013, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulimet View Post

No need for a receiver to power those outdoor speakers. This little amp will do fine.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C2P61FO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the suggestion. Will I be able to crank this, though? Although my needs are simple, I'd like something I can turn way up if need be. Excuse my ignorance, please.
post #4 of 8 Old 10-07-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Yamaha says the speakers are 6-ohm, rated for 35W nominal (120W max, IIRC) input. The Sherwood would work just fine, as would the mini-amp recommended by lulimet.

See also the selection of mini-amps at parts-express.com.

Another option is a gently-used vintage receiver off a local used-goods site (craigslist, kijiji, etc.). You can often find something decent for under $50.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-07-2013, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

Yamaha says the speakers are 6-ohm, rated for 35W nominal (120W max, IIRC) input. The Sherwood would work just fine, as would the mini-amp recommended by lulimet.

See also the selection of mini-amps at parts-express.com.

Another option is a gently-used vintage receiver off a local used-goods site (craigslist, kijiji, etc.). You can often find something decent for under $50.

Thanks so much. The 6-ohm is what's throwing me off since the Sherwood say it's for 8ohm speakers. Excuse my ignorance, but between the mini-amp and the Sherwood which would go louder at a better quality sound?
post #6 of 8 Old 10-07-2013, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
... between the mini-amp and the Sherwood which would go louder at a better quality sound?
The Sherwood is more expensive, but is rated at five times the power per channel vs. the Lepai. Although both should sound pretty comparable at lower volume levels, the Sherwood might sound cleaner at louder levels. Personally, I'd take the Sherwood for the extra power and connectivity, and for the tuner. smile.gif
post #7 of 8 Old 10-07-2013, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! No concern over the 6ohm speakers with that receiver?
post #8 of 8 Old 10-10-2013, 05:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 379
6 ohm and 8 ohm speakers are easy to drive by pretty much any AV or stereo receiver.

The Sherwood will also have a remote so you can control the volume. Plus you can add another set of speakers.

I would not get the Lepai for outdoor use, not enough clean power. When you're outside you'll have a lot of noise from parties, picnic, kids, traffic, lawn mowers, etc. The Lepai wont get loud enough to drown out the outside noises

I own two Lepai amps and they're great for a computer room, office, etc. It'll distort once you get past the halfway point.

Afro GT
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Ns Aw150w 2 Way Outdoor Speakers Pair White , Sherwood Rx 4109 Stereo Receiver Black
Gear in this thread - Aw150w by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page