Please recommend a HT preamp/processor - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-06-2013, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for a new av preamp and am wondering if anyone here can help me! Here is my current setup which has served me well over the years. I mostly listen to movies/watch TV, but I do some stereo listening once in a while:

Outlaw 990
5x Outlaw monoblocks (using balanced inputs at the moment)
AppleTV
Apple mac mini
xbox
ps3
speakers - magnepan 1.7 surround and dynaudio center and sub300's
JVC DILA RS1 Projector

My 990 preamp power supply died so I've been limping along on an old yamaha RX-V657 receiver. I am looking to replace it and modernize the audio side of my system. One big upgrade will be the ability to switch HDMI, which I dont do now. I mostly use the Appletv and MacMini as my source so I am looking for something that is modern and complements my system well.

I'd really like to spend less than $1500 but I'll go to $2000 if there is a good reason to. In my experience, there are diminishing (real world usage) returns after that level of prepro. I am a long time audiophile and can have a critical ear, but 9 times out of 10 I am just casually listening. To be honest, I cant tell a huge difference between the outlaw and the yamaha receiver I'm using temporarily.

I am still researching the new gadgets but the idea of airplay seems like I might use it - wireless or ethernet connectivity too, but I dont really need these things I guess. I would like to keep the balanced inputs on my monoblocks. I normally dont play with eq and sound settings a lot, I'm usually just on dolby pro logic.

Hopefully that gives enough to go on.. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2013, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I personally don't believe you need to spend that much on a processor. I generally like receivers and processors using Audyssey such as Integra/Onkyo, Marantz, and Denon. Another great option is the Anthem MRX line which use ARC. I see you also have a few legacy video sources so something with a Marvell video processor is worth a look.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, thanks for the reply,
Old 10-08-2013, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subw00er View Post

I am looking for a new av preamp and am wondering if anyone here can help me! Here is my current setup which has served me well over the years. I mostly listen to movies/watch TV, but I do some stereo listening once in a while:

Outlaw 990
5x Outlaw monoblocks (using balanced inputs at the moment)
AppleTV
Apple mac mini
xbox
ps3
speakers - magnepan 1.7 surround and dynaudio center and sub300's
JVC DILA RS1 Projector

My 990 preamp power supply died so I've been limping along on an old yamaha RX-V657 receiver. I am looking to replace it and modernize the audio side of my system. One big upgrade will be the ability to switch HDMI, which I dont do now. I mostly use the Appletv and MacMini as my source so I am looking for something that is modern and complements my system well.

I'd really like to spend less than $1500 but I'll go to $2000 if there is a good reason to. In my experience, there are diminishing (real world usage) returns after that level of prepro. I am a long time audiophile and can have a critical ear, but 9 times out of 10 I am just casually listening. To be honest, I cant tell a huge difference between the outlaw and the yamaha receiver I'm using temporarily.

I am still researching the new gadgets but the idea of airplay seems like I might use it - wireless or ethernet connectivity too, but I dont really need these things I guess. I would like to keep the balanced inputs on my monoblocks. I normally dont play with eq and sound settings a lot, I'm usually just on dolby pro logic.

Hopefully that gives enough to go on.. Thanks!

You may want to check out the Yamaha Aventage CX-A5000, this is the first Yamaha prepro they have made in years and I pre-ordered mine when it was first released. 2 months later the unit still amazes me. It lists for 2999.00 but if you look you can get it for the street price your looking for. My listening preferences are just about the same and the Yamaha or even the Marantz 8801 will meet your needs without issue. The Yamaha does allow you to switch inputs even when the unit is in stand bye so you don't have to turn it on to just pass through your HDMI signals to your TV which is a big plus in my preferences. Best of luck:)

Yamaha CX-A5000, ATI AT 2007 Amp (7X200W), ATI AT 2004 Amp (4X200W)Klipsch RF 63's - Main, RB 61's - Front heights, RC-62 - Center, RS-62's - Surround, RS-52's - Rear Surround, 2 Rythmik DS-1510 DIY Subwoofers (With PEQ600XLR3 Amp) each connected with Antimode 8033S-II, Oppo BDP-95, MMF-7.1, Project Phono Box RS, XBox 360, XBox One

Tags
Outlaw Audio , Jvc Dla Rs1 Projector