Sherbourn 7-350 Issues - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-07-2013, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchases the Sherbourn PA 7-350. This is my first external amp. I have it on its own 20amp dedicated line and connected to my Onkyo TX-NR818 preouts using 6ft High-quality Coaxial Audio/Video RCAs from Monoprice. It sits in a custom tv stand that is HxWxD 14.5x22x20 with an open front and back.

When I first got it all hooked up it would play for a few minutes and then shut off...blinking a different channel fault led each time. So i disconnected everything and turned the power on. It faulted just like before. i called tech support and they had me flip the 115v switch on the back to 230v and the back to 115v. This seemed to solve this issue.

But now it seems to randomly shut off based on different signals being sent to it. I watched World War Z twice on it and both times it made it to ~58 min into the movie before kicking off. The first time it seemed like an overheating issue (wasn't able to turn it back on right away). The second time I raised it up a bit higher and left the top off. It wasn't hot at all the second time but still faulted at the same spot.

I was able to watch 4 hours of netflix without any issues but then I switched to another show and within a few minutes the fault lights came on (different channel lights up each time...and only one channel at a time). I am able to turn the power off and immediately back on and everything works like normal for a few more minutes. The only thing that I noticed was different between the shows was the one that worked was 5.1 (showed up as D+) and the other show wasn't.

I am hoping there is something that I am overlooking that can be fixed. It just seems weird that it will work sometimes but not others. Any suggestions or input will been greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-09-2013, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Follow-up:

Tech support is stating that it has to do with a digital signal problem that Onkyo is having. I guess there are "mute" signals that are sent in digital audio but for some reason the Onkyo TX-NR818 doesn't send it out correctly. So when the amp receives this signal it thinks something is wrong and goes into fault mode.

The Emotiva tech said Onkyo has been coming up frequently with my type of issue. Anyone else experience this?

post #3 of 10 Old 10-09-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viruscwu View Post

Follow-up:

Tech support is stating that it has to do with a digital signal problem that Onkyo is having. I guess there are "mute" signals that are sent in digital audio but for some reason the Onkyo TX-NR818 doesn't send it out correctly. So when the amp receives this signal it thinks something is wrong and goes into fault mode.

The Emotiva tech said Onkyo has been coming up frequently with my type of issue. Anyone else experience this?

Huh? Mute signals? I never heard of such a thing. No offense to you or Emotiva support but the above seems like total BS. Are you hearing audio dropouts when playing music or movies with the 818? If not then that isn't the reason the amp is going into fault mode. Even if the 818 is "muting" the signal on an intermittent basis it shouldn't cause the amp to shutdown. If the amp isn't getting any signal it shouldn't be the cause for it to shutdown IMO. Something else is going on in your system (bad speaker wiring) or the amp is defective.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #4 of 10 Old 10-09-2013, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the response. No offense taken. I know the wiring is ok since I keep having to wire it back to my Onkyo 818 and everything works. I swapped out the RCA's to see if that was the issue but the same thing happened.

There isn't any audio drop out, the amp just goes into fault mode randomly. It also seems like the channel that faults is random. Looks like I'll be sending the Sherbourn back for repair frown.gif

post #5 of 10 Old 10-09-2013, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 343
I agree with Bill Mac....the "answer" you were given about muting of digital signals sounds like BS to me, too.

Even it a digital source did mute, that would take the voltage output from the receiver's preamps to 0 and 0 volts is what would be presented to the amp. It flat shouldn't shutdown with no signal sent to it, even if it's a momentary pause. What the amp may be having a problem with is a momentary surge in voltage when the signal is resumed but that also shouldn't effect a properly functioning protection circuit. It that were the case, every time you muted a commercial from cable, the amp would shut down! that is definitely NOT normal behavior and has nothing to do with the brand of receiver.

It sounds like an overly sensitive or faulty protection circuit in the amp or a problem with your speaker wiring. if you can rule out the wiring, then send back the amp for repair because what you are experiencing is not normal amp behavior.

I think whoever you talked to at Emotiva is spouting bull or is trying to avoid the obvious...that your amp needs warranty service.

may I ask - was yours one of the $999 close-out deals of remaining inventory? wink.gif

Steve
post #6 of 10 Old 10-09-2013, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I couldn't tell if you checked the actual speaker wiring. I was a little careless with my speaker wiring and my receiver kept powering down at certain levels. Had some frayed wire connected to the speaker. Fixed that up and no issues since.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-10-2013, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

I originally missed the $999 sale and called to order an XPA-5 but decided to see if any 7-350's had been returned and the sales guy said he had a few new ones come in that day...I got lucky...I think. I'm bringing my buddies receiver over tomorrow to see if the amp works with his receiver.

I'll double check my wiring also. I rather not have to ship the 100lb amp back for repair. I've barely had it a month frown.gif

post #8 of 10 Old 10-10-2013, 06:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viruscwu View Post

I originally missed the $999 sale and called to order an XPA-5 but decided to see if any 7-350's had been returned and the sales guy said he had a few new ones come in that day...I got lucky...I think. I'm bringing my buddies receiver over tomorrow to see if the amp works with his receiver.

I'll double check my wiring also. I rather not have to ship the 100lb amp back for repair. I've barely had it a month frown.gif

If the XPA-5 was $899 I can easily see why you would spend another $100 for the 7-350. That's a good idea to try your buddies AVR with the 7-350. That way you can see if Emotiva's "diagnosis" is for real wink.gif. I can't imagine hauling the 7-350 in and out of my system. I had a Sherbourn 7-2100A in my system for a short while. It was a beast weighing in at 120 lbs. and it was not very kind to my back trying to get it into my rack eek.gif.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-03-2014, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked: 853
Do you use the 12 volt trigger to turn on?

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #10 of 10 Old 03-04-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I would probably try simplify the setup first before shipping things or otherwise. Hook ONLY two channels (RCAs out from the preamp) and run with just those speakers. Play whatever was causing your most predictable sound tracks to cause a problem... does it happen? IF so, switch to other channels and try again... see if there is a difference. Repeat and observe. My guess, a powering issue... maybe. What volume levels are you at? What kind of breaker on the circuit? The initial "fix" sounds "interesting"... even though it appears to have resolved "something".... not sure that can be said in "totality".
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sherbourn , Onkyo Tx Nr818
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page