Confused by all the options. Help with second zone and wireless questions? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-08-2013, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi guys, long time lurker here.  I have a couple quick questions i hope you can help with.  i would like a mid level receiver, 5.1 is fine... it will be hard wired to my home network (does this eliminate the need for Air-Play?) and i would like to hook speakers up to the outside as a second zone.

1) I keep seeing Air-Play mentioned, why would i need this? My network is windows based, with my MP3's on an Iomega SAN. Is there a way to play them from a receiver?

2) If i got a receiver with "line through second zone" , not powered, would i have to go out and buy a second receiver to power them?  I see some receivers have a second powered zone. That seems like the logical option for most, although reviews i have read seem to indicate this is not a feature most people are concerned with?

3) Wireless - would i need this if i am wired to my network?

Here are some of the models i have been researching...

Onkyo TX-NR616

Denon AVR-1913/1713

Pioneer VSX-823-K

Thank you for your help.

EDIT: Let me add that i have a new iPad and an iPad mini... im just wondering if that is the best way to interface with an audio system these days.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-08-2013, 06:28 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1825 Post(s)
Liked: 1716
1. If you have an iPad, with an AVR that features Airplay you would be able to wirelessly pass iTunes audio from the iPad to the AVR. You can also use a smart phone to wirelessly control the AVR from another room as well (eg. when you want to control the Zone 2 speakers and you're sitting out on the patio).
2. Correct. A Zone 2 pre-out would require connecting to an external amp, while a 7.1 (5.1/Zone 2) AVR like the 1913 would be able to power the Zone 2 speakers without the external amp. Note though that the 1713 is only a 5.1 AVR with Zone 2 pre-outs so an external amp would be required with that model.
3. Yup. See #1.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 4 Old 10-08-2013, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi JD, thanks for the reply.  I see a 1913 refurb for a decent price, but that model doesnt have wifi, but when i watched the review on cnet they said all that was necessary to control it with a phone or iPad is the ethernet connection.  im confused, this looks like what i'd need for my set up.

EDIT: Nevermind!!!  :) My wireless router would provide the connection....

post #4 of 4 Old 10-08-2013, 07:48 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1825 Post(s)
Liked: 1716
Denon models do not have built-in WiFi, and therefore do not include "wireless" as a feature, rather they must either be wired directly to the router/modem (as you plan on doing) or you can use another router set up in "bridge" mode to wirelessly connect to the main WiFi router. Once connected to the home's WiFi router in either configuration, you can then use your iPad or smart phone to wirelessly connect to the AVR.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr616 , Denon Avr 1913 Receiver , Denon Avr 1713 Receiver , Pioneer Channel Av Receiver Vsx 823 K
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page