Replacement AVR - recommendations sought - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-12-2013, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've crossed the tipping point where I need to upgrade my AVR to support more and modern inputs. I've been out of the AVR shopping scene for so long, I find myself totally lost. A decade ago, the folks here were massively helpful in recommending devices that have served me well for a very long time! I'd appreciate any advice on this new round of upgrades...

My analog stage is 5.1 using an external (Sherbourn) amp to power some NHT SB-3s. I have no intention of moving to 7.1 due to room configuration and I'm very content with the quality of the current sound stage. The AVR will be used primarily like a pre-pro with the line-outs going to my amplifier, so I don't really care about the quality of the internal amps. I do care about the quality of the switching sound/video quality. My old one is a Yamaha RX-630 which has served me wonderfully, but it predates HDMI and too many new devices are making it harder to make good connections.

I would like to have a receiver that can switch between multiple S, Component, HDMI and Composite inputs, and push all of the signals to either an HDMI or Component out. The quality of the video and analog switching is my highest priority. I'm currently watching through a similarly dated Toshiba HD CRT, but anticipate that that will be my next thing to upgrade, within the next year or so.

My target is to be under $500, but I could be flexible if going above that number offered significant improvements.

I guess the last bit of info would be I have the Harmony 1, so I don't really care about the remote, as after set-up, it will sit in a drawer. And automated audio calibration is also not a priority. I'm quite comfortable with an SPL and a manual configuration, so automation here is a "nice to have" only.

Are there any other details about my current system, interests or needs that would be helpful to narrow down my choices?

Thanks in advance,

Wactuary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-12-2013, 10:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 389
So you'll need a receiver with 5.1 or 7.1 preouts which isn't easy to find under $500.

Marantz 5007 can be had from accessories4less.com for $500. I also read the Yamaha HTR-7065 can be purchased from Costco under $500 . Both have a full set of pre outs.
wactuary likes this.

Afro GT
post #3 of 6 Old 10-13-2013, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the recommendations. Looks like the Yamaha is no longer available at Costco, but is available refurbed from Accessories4Less at 399, $100 less than the Marantz.

From a quick look, it seems the Marantz has a more flexible input selection where the digital ins are not tied specifically to a particular video input, which I like. Yamaha has the extra HDMI out, but I'm having trouble thinking of a reason or need for that feature.

I'm leaning toward the Marantz but would welcome any comments that might steer my decision one way or the other.

Thanks again!
post #4 of 6 Old 10-13-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by wactuary View Post

Thank you for the recommendations. Looks like the Yamaha is no longer available at Costco, but is available refurbed from Accessories4Less at 399, $100 less than the Marantz.

From a quick look, it seems the Marantz has a more flexible input selection where the digital ins are not tied specifically to a particular video input, which I like. Yamaha has the extra HDMI out, but I'm having trouble thinking of a reason or need for that feature.

I'm leaning toward the Marantz but would welcome any comments that might steer my decision one way or the other.

Thanks again!

my costco had a ton of the 7065's yesterday
post #5 of 6 Old 10-13-2013, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post

my costco had a ton of the 7065's yesterday

Maybe I have to go to the brick and mortar. I just looked online.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-13-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by wactuary View Post

Maybe I have to go to the brick and mortar. I just looked online.

yeah, what they have in store and online can be totally different....

they carry the denon 1613 online but not in store, and the two yammy's (the 7065 and 6750) are both carried in-store but not online
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr5007 Home Theater Av Receiver , Yamaha Htr 7065 , Denon Avr 1613 Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr5007 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page