Denon 4520CI will not "wake up" to Remote In Signal - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 13 Old 10-13-2013, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All concerned,

BLUF: My Denon AVR 4520CI will not turn on via a Dinky Link to Xantech block via a 3.5mm cable directly into the Remote In on the AVR but will respond via this path once it has been either turned don manually or the remote is point directly to the front.

I have exhausted every possible search scenario on this forum, searched Denon's support and spoke to Denon this past Friday.

Very strange that once the Denon is "awake" it will take all commands via the Remote In but once it has been turned off (standby=red power button) it will not turn back on via Remote In.

I have tried both a 3.5mm mono and stereo cable from the Xantech block to the AVR. I have tried to different iR receivers. The setup was also used for the last three years on the Yamaha AVR I just replaced.

Also completed a system reboot on the AVR.

Also worth noting is that the Amp works perfectly fine via the iPhone App as well; turning on/off with no issues.

Has anyone shared a similar problem or have any recommendations because I really don't want to have to get it repaired/replaced. It was in fact a refurbished and purchased from accessories4less last week and I also purchased the additional 3 year warranty. I have an open reference number with Denon and will call them again on Monday now that I have tried different cables and iR receivers.

Any help is appreciated.

v/r,

Jamie

Jamie L. Wallace
LTC, AV
USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-28-2015, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've just encountered the exact same problem. Did you ever find a solution?
post #3 of 13 Old 06-29-2015, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I use the Xantech 789-44 connecting block with the hidden link connected to denon 4311.
It works flawlessly and turns stereo on. I searched the 4520 manual and that port is only
called out on one page. No switch for that port. I searched the 4520 thread and no widespread
problem. I suspect it is the button on the remote and not the ir extender hardware. Will remote
turn stereo off through extender? Do both on/off work with remote pointed directly at receiver?
post #4 of 13 Old 06-30-2015, 01:25 AM

The Denon remote works perfectly when standing in front of the receiver. It's only from the other room via the Xantech that the Power On refuses to function.

Tonight I threw one of the IR emitters in front of the receiver, and the remote command via Xantech works with the emitter. The problem is limited to the Remote Control In port..
post #5 of 13 Old 06-30-2015, 03:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasaggie94 View Post
All concerned,

BLUF: My Denon AVR 4520CI will not turn on via a Dinky Link to Xantech block via a 3.5mm cable directly into the Remote In on the AVR but will respond via this path once it has been either turned don manually or the remote is point directly to the front.

I have exhausted every possible search scenario on this forum, searched Denon's support and spoke to Denon this past Friday.

Very strange that once the Denon is "awake" it will take all commands via the Remote In but once it has been turned off (standby=red power button) it will not turn back on via Remote In.

I have tried both a 3.5mm mono and stereo cable from the Xantech block to the AVR. I have tried to different iR receivers. The setup was also used for the last three years on the Yamaha AVR I just replaced.

Also completed a system reboot on the AVR.

Also worth noting is that the Amp works perfectly fine via the iPhone App as well; turning on/off with no issues.

Has anyone shared a similar problem or have any recommendations because I really don't want to have to get it repaired/replaced. It was in fact a refurbished and purchased from accessories4less last week and I also purchased the additional 3 year warranty. I have an open reference number with Denon and will call them again on Monday now that I have tried different cables and iR receivers.

Any help is appreciated.

v/r,

Jamie
OEM remote, or universal? If you're using a universal, check the code or re-learn it. Are you using the power toggle command, or the discreet Power On command?

Does it turn on when you press a Source Select button? Most AVRs turn on when those are used and it's a common work-around when a universal remote code set or an OEM remote doesn't have discreet commands for power On and Off.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-01-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfigh View Post
OEM remote, or universal? If you're using a universal, check the code or re-learn it. Are you using the power toggle command, or the discreet Power On command?

Does it turn on when you press a Source Select button? Most AVRs turn on when those are used and it's a common work-around when a universal remote code set or an OEM remote doesn't have discreet commands for power On and Off.

Using the Denon OEM remote. Every button works perfectly if I'm in front of the receiver. Every button except Power (Toggle) works perfectly from the other room.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-02-2015, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfabraham View Post
Using the Denon OEM remote. Every button works perfectly if I'm in front of the receiver. Every button except Power (Toggle) works perfectly from the other room.
If you have an older cell phone, open the camera feature and aim the remote toward the lens- while you look at the end of the remote, press a few of the buttons and then press the Power toggle. If the Power toggle looks like it's stuttering or is dim compared to the others, that may be the problem.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-02-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfigh View Post
If you have an older cell phone, open the camera feature and aim the remote toward the lens- while you look at the end of the remote, press a few of the buttons and then press the Power toggle. If the Power toggle looks like it's stuttering or is dim compared to the others, that may be the problem.

That's a clever trick, thanks. I get the same result from the Denon OEM remote and from my new Harmony 650, so I don't think it's related to a weak or intermittent IR transmission.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-02-2015, 09:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 198
IR codes can be critical for frequency center and timing..
Sounds like the Remote IN circuit is adding a small amount of latency internally which the AVR's CPU processor sees as corruption....
Perhaps a bad filter and/or capacitor. so it doesn't respond..
But when the OE remote is fired directly the front panel sensor the AVR responds correctly. 1 last thing to check are the OE controller's batteries, make sure they are fresh for the highest transmitted IR signal. What some people may not understand is that within the IR codes each have different power duty cycles, some higher than others...
The higher duty cycle IR codes can pull the batteries harder so using marginal batteries the controller has lower transmitting power, so some IR codes may work and others will not.

Just my $0.02...
post #10 of 13 Old Yesterday, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That's a clever trick, thanks. I get the same result from the Denon OEM remote and from my new Harmony 650, so I don't think it's related to a weak or intermittent IR transmission.
If it doesn't work with any of the remotes, it's a problem with the Dinky Link.

I would contact the seller and find out if it can be returned- Zantech stuff should work with any of the remotes for that command, especially with the OEM model.

Does it turn off?
post #11 of 13 Old Yesterday, 05:13 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 27
From the 4520 thread

Original firmware version: 3325-1532-1375

1. 10/1/2012 (3325-8562-1375)
- When the product is in standby, the product doesn't do the power-on in the IR receiver that is connected to the Remote IN terminals of the product.
- The black picture noise in video output (NTSC) of Network and the iPod/USB function has been reduced.

I have never got this to work with any URC remote and a MRF 350.

Last edited by Irwinroad; Yesterday at 05:21 AM.
post #12 of 13 Unread Today, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwinroad View Post
From the 4520 thread

Original firmware version: 3325-1532-1375

1. 10/1/2012 (3325-8562-1375)
- When the product is in standby, the product doesn't do the power-on in the IR receiver that is connected to the Remote IN terminals of the product.
- The black picture noise in video output (NTSC) of Network and the iPod/USB function has been reduced.

I have never got this to work with any URC remote and a MRF 350.

So that suggests Denon intentionally did that in their first firmware update... If so, what were they thinking? I had to unplug the Remote In cable and throw an IR emitter on the front because of this single command.
post #13 of 13 Unread Today, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
So that suggests Denon intentionally did that in their first firmware update... If so, what were they thinking? I had to unplug the Remote In cable and throw an IR emitter on the front because of this single command.
I searched the thread using remote control in so I didn't find that firmware post.
Quite the bug. So the receiver software is at fault?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread - 4520ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page