Bluetooth vs. DLNA vs. Airplay receivers for wireless audio streaming - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-13-2013, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I've been looking into some wireless (particularly bluetooth) receivers for audio playback. Now, I'm not exactly an audio-pro kind of guy, but I like to think I can hold my own when it comes to setting up my amp, surround sound, and A/V cables. However, I'm getting kind of intimidated reading into these wireless receivers. I understand there is an audio quality tradeoff with bluetooth, but how is the quality of DLNA and AirPlay receivers? And more importantly, do there exist DLNA/AirPlay devices that act solely as audio receivers? I have no real need for video streaming from my laptop/iPhone.

Just for your information, my primary goal with this wireless receiver is to allow me to play music on my iPhone/MacBook via my surround sound amp wirelessly. I don't think I'll be streaming a lot of music over the internet, it'll primarily be over my personal iTunes (I'm not sure if this affects sound quality).

Thanks in advance for any replies!

-Doyle

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-14-2013, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, As your source devices are iPhone and Mac, AirPlay is a better choice over DLNA. AirPlay is an Apple technology and is available in iOS and OS X.

Apple AirPort Express is an AirPlay audio only receiver with both analog and digital outputs.

AirPlay transmission is over your home wireless network, so range is better than bluetooth. AirPlay sound quality is better than Bluetooth.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-14-2013, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Does your existing surround sound amp have networking built-in? Many newer audio-video receivers have Airplay built-in.

Agree that Airplay has better sound quality than Bluetooth. Note that if you go the Bluetooth route, I have a Logitech Bluetooth audio receiver that I will sell you for half price (it's been replaced in my system by Airplay--ha!).

post #4 of 4 Old 10-14-2013, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 224
AirPlay basically is Apple version of DLNA that works only with Apple device and transmission is encrypted. DLNA is an industry standard but not natively supported by Apple devices (although there are apps that can add support of DLNA). So, if you have Apple devices, AirPlay is the choice. Otherwise, DNLA is the choice. Most modern receivers typically support both. Bluetooth is antiquated and should be avoided.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page