Yamaha RX-V475 ARC with Samsung Smart TV + Cable box? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 10-14-2013, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi guys,

I recently moved to a new apartment and finally had a chance to work on some better A/V experience. Just got a RX-V475 yesterday and hooked up my Samsung UN65F6350:

Comcast HD Box (HDMI out) ---- (HDMI 1 in) Yamaha RX-V475 (HDMI out - ARC) ----- (HDMI 2 in - ARC) Samsung TV

I connected TV and receiver with ARC with no problem but now I whenever I boot up my TV the receiver switches on and automatically switch to AV4 (default for ARC TV) despite I want the audio from HDMI 1 (cable box). I had no problem getting sound from all the apps (netflix, pandora... etc). Just every time when I turn on the TV (and the receiver) I need to manually switch the receiver to HDMI 1 (to get sound from Comcast Box)... I googled and saw many people had the same situation (wouldn't call it a problem) but the only solution seems to be running another optical audio cable from TV to receiver and disable ARC? (So whenever I need to use TV apps I switch to optical input).

Thanks,

jared

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 10-14-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Your Samsung TV has a feature called Anynet. Turn it off.

You may also need to turn off HDMI Control on your Yamaha.
http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v373_black_u/10254/7128/

Afro GT
post #3 of 29 Old 10-14-2013, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you afrogt, will try later today!

jared

post #4 of 29 Old 10-22-2013, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Hi, 

I tried many ways but still had no luck. 

Comcast box --- Receiver ---- TV (ARC):

Whenever I switch on TV the receiver switches itself to AV4, so I had to manually switch it to HDMI1. Though if I go to smart hub from cable the receiver knows to switch to AV4, even after I quit watching Netflix (or some the tv apps) the receiver knows to switch back to HDMI1 so that I can get sound from my cable box. It's just when I boot up the tv it will switch to AV4.

Comcast box --- TV --- Receiver (ARC)

So I  tried this morning to plug my comcast box to HDMI1 on tv and receiver to HDMI2 (ARC), which worked on PS3. Though for some reason the sound doesn't come out ... (it worked fine for PS3 last night)

I would like to use ARC as it turns receiver on and off and works fine between cable and tv apps (after boot up) ..Running out of ideas... any suggestion would be appreciated!

jared

post #5 of 29 Old 10-22-2013, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I conceded in my battle with ARC and my RX-V473 long ago. I bought a TOSLINK cable from Monoprice and never looked back. It's the same audio stream as HDMI under these circumstances and no weird settings to fool with.

post #6 of 29 Old 01-04-2014, 08:46 PM

Does this mean you turned off ARC on the receiver and Anynet on the TV?

post #7 of 29 Old 02-28-2014, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've never seen so much misinformation on a topic on the web before!  Yamaha receivers work fine with ARC and Samsung.  Plug your cable box and DVD player into your smart tv.  Run a HDMI cable from the ARC input on the TV to the ARC output on the receiver.  Go here to watch a good how to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83B2NS0Wnxc

post #8 of 29 Old 03-01-2014, 03:39 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1735 Post(s)
Liked: 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredhu View Post

Hi, 

I tried many ways but still had no luck. 

Comcast box --- Receiver ---- TV (ARC):

Whenever I switch on TV the receiver switches itself to AV4, so I had to manually switch it to HDMI1. Though if I go to smart hub from cable the receiver knows to switch to AV4, even after I quit watching Netflix (or some the tv apps) the receiver knows to switch back to HDMI1 so that I can get sound from my cable box. It's just when I boot up the tv it will switch to AV4.

Comcast box --- TV --- Receiver (ARC)

So I  tried this morning to plug my comcast box to HDMI1 on tv and receiver to HDMI2 (ARC), which worked on PS3. Though for some reason the sound doesn't come out ... (it worked fine for PS3 last night)

I would like to use ARC as it turns receiver on and off and works fine between cable and tv apps (after boot up) ..Running out of ideas... any suggestion would be appreciated!

jared

Note that ARC and Anynet+ are two different features. Anynet+ is what Samsung calls HDMI-CEC which is what is allowing you to turn on/off the different HDMI devices in the chain using a single remote, while ARC (Audio Return Channel) is the feature that is actually passing the TV's smart app audio back to the AVR. You must enable Anynet+ in order to use ARC as well as enabling HDMI Control on the Yamaha. A side effect, however, as you note, is that the AVR now always switches to the TV source when the AVR is powered on which a lot of folks do not prefer and why switching to an optical cable and turning Anynet+ off will prevent the AVR from switching to the TV source. You may be able to leave Anynet+ ON but just not set the TV audio to "External speakers" and this may allow you to still power on/off the HDMI sources.
soljayar likes this.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #9 of 29 Old 03-11-2014, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Note that ARC and Anynet+ are two different features. Anynet+ is what Samsung calls HDMI-CEC which is what is allowing you to turn on/off the different HDMI devices in the chain using a single remote, while ARC (Audio Return Channel) is the feature that is actually passing the TV's smart app audio back to the AVR. You must enable Anynet+ in order to use ARC as well as enabling HDMI Control on the Yamaha. A side effect, however, as you note, is that the AVR now always switches to the TV source when the AVR is powered on which a lot of folks do not prefer and why switching to an optical cable and turning Anynet+ off will prevent the AVR from switching to the TV source. You may be able to leave Anynet+ ON but just not set the TV audio to "External speakers" and this may allow you to still power on/off the HDMI sources.

How about people just get used to pressing one more button when they turn things on? It takes one, 3 seconds once it's all booted up? :) We are too spoiled by technology and expect things to work exactly the way we want them to, when in fact they are designed to work universally. In short, quit crying and just get used to it. 

I compacted 5 remotes into 1 Harmony. I disabled the power funcitions on the scene buttons on the Harmony remote because it kept turning things off after they were on. I also enabled the Scene buttons from Yamaha on the Harmony under the color buttons, so when I want to switch to something else, I just switch to the AVR and press a scene button. Viola, 3 seconds of extra work and no crying here. 

post #10 of 29 Old 10-13-2014, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmorganiv View Post
I've never seen so much misinformation on a topic on the web before! Yamaha receivers work fine with ARC and Samsung. Plug your cable box and DVD player into your smart tv. Run a HDMI cable from the ARC input on the TV to the ARC output on the receiver. Go here to watch a good how to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83B2NS0Wnxc

I've thought about just hooking my ps4, cable box, etc.. into the TV and then running TV ARC to AVR ARC. But wouldn't it be degraded sounded, having the sources have to go through hdmi arc to get to the receiver? And it seems to defeat the purpose of having a receiver?

I also have this problem with Yamaha receiver switching to AV4 everytime I go between SmartTV(Netflix) and back to my TV input. It drives me nuts. I have a LG 65ub9500.

I have done everything I can think of and I don't think there is anyway to fix it.

I have my receiver going straight to TV ARC input. All I want is to be able to switch TV to Netflix and still be able to use the magic remote to change receiver volume. I want to be able to switch back to TV or whatever and still have remote work. This all happens except the damn things switches the receiver to AV4 all the time. I've tried turning control off and on, ARC off and on, screwed around with it endlessly. I give up.
post #11 of 29 Old 10-13-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyMac View Post
I've thought about just hooking my ps4, cable box, etc.. into the TV and then running TV ARC to AVR ARC. But wouldn't it be degraded sounded, having the sources have to go through hdmi arc to get to the receiver? And it seems to defeat the purpose of having a receiver?

I also have this problem with Yamaha receiver switching to AV4 everytime I go between SmartTV(Netflix) and back to my TV input. It drives me nuts. I have a LG 65ub9500.

I have done everything I can think of and I don't think there is anyway to fix it.

I have my receiver going straight to TV ARC input. All I want is to be able to switch TV to Netflix and still be able to use the magic remote to change receiver volume. I want to be able to switch back to TV or whatever and still have remote work. This all happens except the damn things switches the receiver to AV4 all the time. I've tried turning control off and on, ARC off and on, screwed around with it endlessly. I give up.
I got around this by modding the Logitech Harmony and adding input buttons to the screen when in HTPC mode. Basically it's set to use the HTPC as channel/media player, TV as display and AVR for volume. I just set the scene as a quick button to knock it back. I haven't messed with it since.
post #12 of 29 Old 10-13-2014, 01:29 PM
DTS

I started a thread asking a similar question, just yesterday.
While the hookup in the YouTube video works for eliminating the AV4 switch, what's the point of having all the HDMI inputs on the receiver if you're just going to use the ones on the TV? The whole idea was to plug all hardware into the receiver and just One HDMI into the TV and while that works just fine, we get the auto switching to AV1-4 for no apparent reason.

While I do not get the switch to AV1-4 when exiting APPS, I do get the switch when turning on the TV.
I was so confused seeing this because when it all boots up and running, I get HDMI1 and sound just fine. Then about 10 seconds later it does the switch. Why does the receiver think it needs to switch when audio is coming through just fine?

post #13 of 29 Old 10-13-2014, 01:30 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
I just got my 55" Smart TV and Yamaha receiver and have been battling with this issue. Samsung says that, indeed, as someone above said, the cable box MUST go into the TV, and then use either an HDMI cable in the ARC HDMI port or a digital optical cable to the receiver. There would be no degradation of sound, since you would presumably just be connecting components to the receiver using HDMI anyway.

This doesn't defeat the purpose, you still get the audio from the receiver and surround sound.What it does do is allow you to control and turn on/off all connected devices. It is confusing, because the Yamaha set up tells you to do the opposite (that is, to use the receiver for all the inputs and then output everything to the TV) but I don't think that will allow you to control everything using the Smart Remote.

Anyway I am going to change my set up to what is above and try it tonight.
View the YouTube video, it is helpful.
post #14 of 29 Old 10-13-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTS View Post
I started a thread asking a similar question, just yesterday.
While the hookup in the YouTube video works for eliminating the AV4 switch, what's the point of having all the HDMI inputs on the receiver if you're just going to use the ones on the TV? The whole idea was to plug all hardware into the receiver and just One HDMI into the TV and while that works just fine, we get the auto switching to AV1-4 for no apparent reason.

While I do not get the switch to AV1-4 when exiting APPS, I do get the switch when turning on the TV.
I was so confused seeing this because when it all boots up and running, I get HDMI1 and sound just fine. Then about 10 seconds later it does the switch. Why does the receiver think it needs to switch when audio is coming through just fine?
I totally agree. I wanted to have everything go thru the receiver. Not only that, but now I'm not sure all my HDMI cables are long enough to make it all the way to the TV (since most of the devices were on top of the receiver).

So annoying. Post back if you figure out how to make it all work with everything going into the Yamaha, because that is what I want.
post #15 of 29 Old 10-13-2014, 01:41 PM
DTS

It's really strange because my Mother has a Yamaha hooked to a Mitz DLP the way it should be (all hardware into receiver and One to TV HDMI1) and never has it switched. I wonder if this is a conflict between ARC or something.

post #16 of 29 Old 10-13-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
It's really strange because my Mother has a Yamaha hooked to a Mitz DLP the way it should be (all hardware into receiver and One to TV HDMI1) and never has it switched. I wonder if this is a conflict between ARC or something.
Someone needs to get on the phone with Yamaha and get an answer to this. There are different implementations of ARC, and Samsung did ask me if I had updated the TVs software.

Anyway we'll see tonight and I will post back. But it's not clear to be if I run it like this:

cable box->HDMI->TV->HDMI ARC->Yamaha

if I will still be able to connect my DVD player to the Yamaha, or if I will now have to connect it to the TV directly...since the connection goes TV (output) to Yamaha (input) via HDMI ARC.

How would a DVD player connected to the Yamaha get data to the TV? There is no HDMI out coming from it! Right? Only in.

I should have paid Geek Squad to install it!
post #17 of 29 Old 10-13-2014, 02:02 PM
DTS

Well according to the video
STB into TV's HDMI-1
Blu/DVD into TV's HDMI-3
The TV's HDMI-2 (ARC) to receiver HDMI OUT (ARC)

post #18 of 29 Old 10-13-2014, 02:08 PM

Ok so I guess the point is HDMI ARC on the Yamaha is still an HDMI out (outputs video+audio) but serves as an input for audio only. If this is the case then I am going to try just connecting the DVD to one of the Yamaha's inputs and not run it through the TV, as he did in the video.

I swear you need a PhD to figure this crap out.
post #19 of 29 Old 10-13-2014, 02:19 PM
DTS

Well, honestly, it should just work as it does in the receivers instructions.
Don't add a bunch of HDMI inputs if there is going to be an issue with audio switching, which it doesn't even mention.

post #20 of 29 Old 10-13-2014, 04:33 PM

Wink

Wow, you guys are all OVER the place lol.

I've already gone through this. Let me try to be short and sweet.

I have a Samsung 55" 6400 Series, Yamaha RXV-475, Samsung BD-5500(?) 3D Blu Ray and an HTPC.

Here's how it's hooked up.

HTPC via HDMI > Yamaha AVR HDMI 2
Samsung BD via HDMI > Yamaha AVR HDMI 1
PS4 via HDMI > Yamaha AVR HDMI 4
Chromecast Media Player > Yamaha HDMI 3

Samsung TV via HDMI <> HDMI ARC

When I turn the TV on (via TV Power) the TV and AVR turn on, after a few seconds the AVR switches to ARC automatically. Yes, this is a pain, but on my Harmony remote, I just programmed in a button on the screen to switch the AVR to my HTPC input because that's the one I use the most. I added a button next to it for the TV HDMI 2 (ARC) so the TV switches to whatever the AVR tells it to. Viola. Yes, it's not all automatic. But everyone I talk to in the industry tells me this is because HDMI is still new and still has "bugs". This bug being you have to press an extra button.

But it all works. When I Want to watch a movie from the HTPC, I switch to that input because it's always on and wham, I can watch movies, recorded TV or even listen to music and all of the different encoders work. (That took a lot of work in itself on setting up the HTPC, even with XMBC on it).

When I want to watch a Blu Ray, I switch the AVR to the BR Player (with everything already on or not) and it all switches to that. If it's all off and I press the scene button or whatever, yes the AVR tries to change to ARC but I immediately change it back. Once it's all on and the inputs are switched, it stays that way. That's all I care about.

My setup is all in front of me too, not in a closet. So maybe that makes the difference, I don't know. But that's the nature of HDMI. Unless you buy everything from the same manufacturer made around the same time or you invest in some sort of higher end AVR or control system, you're going to have to do some manual labor (push a button or two) to get to what you want sometimes.

I've been running this setup now for over 8 months and have been fine, minus a couple of glitches. I.E. No audio through AVR or the OSD gets fuzzy. Both have been fixed by a simple reboot and the OSD hasn't had an issue since the latest firmware update.

All in all, I'm very happy with the setup. Oh and anyone who tells you the signal degrades through ARC is full of horse poop. You can't degrade a digital signal, not in these distances at least. The only thing that can happen is if you let the TV do the processing work (Running your BD Player into TV then out to AVR) then you will lose some encoding options because that's how it works. The TV was not meant to recode DTS-HD or something like that. So run it all through your AVR, let it do the audio work or whatever and just press an extra button or two and smile.
post #21 of 29 Old 10-13-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 131
The RXV475 is HDMI certified, the Samsung display and Comcast cable box are not...
In our AV install biz we will not sell or install any Samsung HD displays and/or Blu-Ray players due to their lack of HDMI certification.
Sad to say...
Samsung took it upon themselves to create certain software CEC changes and their products do very funny things especially with other brand HDMI components. If one is using all Samsung products then there is a better chance of the components to operate properly using the CEC protocol...

Just my $0.02...
post #22 of 29 Old 10-13-2014, 04:53 PM
DTS

So I just set up like the video said and only audio I get is PCM
This is ridiculous. Never have I had an issue hooking up a surround sound.

OK so I went into my APP section and loaded PLEX and everything is fine there. I get DD 5.1
So why cant I get DD 5.1 from the STB? Frustrating!

Last edited by DTS; 10-13-2014 at 05:06 PM.
post #23 of 29 Old 10-13-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
DTS, have you tried using a digital optical cable and not HDMI ARC?

Also, just so you know, the Samsung manual states that you must enable Anynet+ on the TV to control your other gear. Did you enable it? Under "System" did you make sure Receiver was set to "on"? Did you select your device in the Anynet+ set up screen?

On the Yamaha, HDMI control is on, ARC is on?

Just trying to cover all the bases before I start pulling wires out.
post #24 of 29 Old 10-13-2014, 05:17 PM
DTS

Every setting that needs to be turned on, is on.
I am trying to rid optical because the connection on the TV is horrible. The cable seem to be too heavy and doesn't seat well.
Fact, poor HDMI and Optical placement on these TVs as far as I'm concerned. All connections should go UP and no straight in or to the side, kinking cables. But that's another subject.

I just want to know now why I only get PCM from STB but any of the apps like PLEX and Netflix are outputting DD 5.1

I may just hook it back up the way I had it and deal with the audio switching and just take a 1second to push the HDMI button.

post #25 of 29 Old 10-13-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Every setting that needs to be turned on, is on.
I am trying to rid optical because the connection on the TV is horrible. The cable seem to be too heavy and doesn't seat well.
Fact, poor HDMI and Optical placement on these TVs as far as I'm concerned. All connections should go UP and no straight in or to the side, kinking cables. But that's another subject.

I just want to know now why I only get PCM from STB but any of the apps like PLEX and Netflix are outputting DD 5.1

I may just hook it back up the way I had it and deal with the audio switching and just take a 1second to push the HDMI button.
This is what I was trying to say before.

I wasn't aware that Samsung isn't HDMI Certified. It doesn't matter to me, I'm happy with the tv and so what if I have to work around it's HDMI issues for now. From what I was coming from, it's a huge improvement and for my budget I couldn't complain really.

Sorry you guys are having a rough time though. This stuff isn't easy all the time.
post #26 of 29 Old 10-13-2014, 05:44 PM
DTS

Would this be something they could address in a firmware fix? If so I'll contact support right now and tell them this issue.

post #27 of 29 Old 10-13-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Would this be something they could address in a firmware fix? If so I'll contact support right now and tell them this issue.
Let me know how that goes. They've already nerfed doing firmware updates via USB, for those of us with little to not internet connections that pissed me off. Not every SMART Tv is on the net, yet we like to use some of its features. I don't need my appliances logged in.

My dad thought it was bad enough they were making Widescreen DVD's years ago. If he were still alive today, he would probably flip his lid and go live in a cave. lol
post #28 of 29 Old 10-14-2014, 03:37 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1735 Post(s)
Liked: 1684
Quote:
Well, honestly, it should just work as it does in the receivers instructions.
Don't add a bunch of HDMI inputs if there is going to be an issue with audio switching, which it doesn't even mention.
This issue is common with all brands of AVRs and TVs. Use either a Harmony remote or optical from the TV if it annoys you.

Quote:

OK so I went into my APP section and loaded PLEX and everything is fine there. I get DD 5.1
So why cant I get DD 5.1 from the STB? Frustrating!
Try resetting the STB. The AVR can only play what it receives. If Dolby Digital is properly selected on the STB, then those channels that are broadcasting a DD 5.1 signal should pass to the AVR. Ensure you have an HD channel that is broadcasting DD 5.1 selected. Also try powering on the STB last after giving the AVR at least 5 secs to power on.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #29 of 29 Old 10-14-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
This issue is common with all brands of AVRs and TVs. Use either a Harmony remote or optical from the TV if it annoys you.

Try resetting the STB. The AVR can only play what it receives. If Dolby Digital is properly selected on the STB, then those channels that are broadcasting a DD 5.1 signal should pass to the AVR. Ensure you have an HD channel that is broadcasting DD 5.1 selected. Also try powering on the STB last after giving the AVR at least 5 secs to power on.
I just changed all my cables and the good news is the Smart Remote now works for on/off, volume, etc. I am having an issue with the sound, however. When the AVR comes on, it goes to AV1 and sound only comes out of three speakers: L, R, and SW (those are the only three icons lit up on the front of the unit.) When I hit "Program" and it cycled through to the other presets (Cellar, Music, etc) then the other speakers come on, depending on the pre-set.

What's going on?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V475 5 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Samsung Un65f6300 65 Inch Slim Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - V475 by PriceGrabber.com