Proceed HPA 3 Plays Center Channel Only - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-14-2013, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in the process of updating my home theater audio; as mentioned in MANY new threads I purchased a home with a home theater that has some equipment purchased about 13 years ago.

I've recently purchased a Marantz Pre-Amp to connect to three Proceed amplifiers: 2 HPA2s and 1 HPA3. My original plan was to power my center speaker (B&W Centre 2) and Front L&R (B&W CM10s) with the HPA3. The center channel worked right away, but the left and right channels wouldn't respond. I troubleshooted everything I could think of (e.g. checking the connections and wires, swapping out cables, etc.). I finally decided to connect the front L&R to one of the HPA2s and the towers kicked on right away.

So, the connections are good and the speakers are good. So now I am thinking it is the left and right channels on the HPA3 amp. I've popped off the cover to look inside and I can't seem to find any significant issues - at least visually. I don't have an ohmmeter so I can't test the ceramic fuses in the amp; but I would assume that if a fuse blew that the amp would just shut itself off.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this issue and what I'll need to do to resolve it?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-18-2013, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

I wanted to refresh this issue real quick. I've pretty much determined that I am going to get a new multi-channel amp for the home theater, but I need to know what my options are for these amps.

Any ideas what could be wrong? Is it even worth paying someone the $60 to figure out what is wrong and THEN trying get find the parts to repair it?
post #3 of 4 Old 10-18-2013, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Call pyramid audio in Austin, TX. They can troubleshoot/service Proceed amplifiers. They are definitely worth repairing; unless you are prepared to spend considerable money for anything that will outperform the HPA series.

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
post #4 of 4 Old 10-21-2013, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Funny story: I went to my local AV shop and I couldn't even lug the HPA2 out of the trunk before the tech told me to not even bother bringing them into the store to have them looked at. No one in this area will repair or service them anymore. It isn't a matter of won't do it, but the cost in doing so is just too expensive and/or they don't have the capability to fix them.

I'll contact Pyramid to see if they have any ideas - I'll be happy to sell them to any hobbyists who have the capability to fix the amps themselves.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page